Toledo smp vs. upper level biology classes at Oakland University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hacheemaster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted to University of Toledos SMP. I am debating whether I should go to the SMP or take a couple classes at Oakland University. I talked to the assistant dean of admissions at Wayne and he said I should volunteer more. He said it was okay to take upper level biology classes at OU. He had actually never heard of an SMP. He said I should save my 45k. I don't know how much I should weigh his opinion because it felt like he just gave me broad answers. When I asked him what is deficient in my application, he just said that it isn't especially weak in any particular point. I feel like he read my file 5 minutes before the appointment. Therefore, I am a bit skeptical of his advice.

I got a 31M on the MCAT (9V, 12P, 10B). I asked him if retaking it and getting around 35 would help my applicaiton. He said I shouldn't retake it unless I have an 8 or below in a section. Also, my undergrad cgpa is 3.35 and sgpa is 3.61.

If I go to the SMP and do well I feel like I am pretty much guaranteed admission into UTs medical school. However, I feel like I won't have enough time to volunteer and do what the assistant dean said.

I am also studying for the MCAT. I already submitted the primary and didn't indicate that I would be taking it again because I didn't think I would be at the time. Therefore, my application has been processed.

I realize that SMPs are for people with low GPA and decent MCAT but I feel like I shouldn't let this opportunity go without seriously considering it. So what do you guys think is a better option? Going to the SMP or taking classes at OU, volunteering a bit more and getting some more time to study for the MCAT so that I can take it again? Please don't just say yes or no. I want to hear the reasoning as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not going to attend the SMP because I will get more time to study for the MCAT, more time to work on volunteering, my weakest point, AND take easier classes which will result in better grades, increasing my chances of getting into medical school.

when you say UT's medical school...are you referring to Texas?

nevermind, I'm an idiot :)

Last edited: