Toledo vs Geisinger (pls help!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwoDoc

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a few days to pick between these two schools that I honestly know very little about. I am not really sure where to find more information to help me make a decision. I have read through numerous threads and both school websites, but nothing has helped sway me one way or the other. I have never visited either school and both are out of state. I am from Florida. I am interested in EM, ophthalmology, and Anesthesiology. Any information you have on these schools would be VERY appreciated.

Toledo:
Pros:
- Cheap housing
- Really enjoyed the interview day, the faculty was nice
- 3 hours away from distant family (somewhat of a support system)
- True P/F with no internal ranking

Cons:
- Large class size (175 students)
- I have read that Toledo is quite dangerous?

Geisinger: (Grabbed this list from threads, as I don't know much about the school)
Pros:
- Brand new building, great facilities, Scranton kind of centered around the school
- Affiliated with a huge health system
- Lots of faculty came from well-reputed programs

Cons:
-3rd-year rotation sites all in that region; must be a Geisinger hospital for MS3; lots match in their system (restrictive?)
-clinical sites almost all outside of Scranton... a lot of driving
- Focus on primary care/family med

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re interested in anything competitive (ophtho), you’ve gotta go to the school with a home program. I vote Geisinger (unless it is substantially more expensive)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re interested in anything competitive (ophtho), you’ve gotta go to the school with a home program. I vote Geisinger (unless it is substantially more expensive)
Geisinger is about 66k a year. Whereas Toledo is 66k the first year, then 36k the next 3 years (from what I understand about becoming an Ohio resident after a year). Thoughts?

EDIT: tuition is 66k not 60k*

Last edited:
Geisinger is about 66k a year. Whereas Toledo is 66k the first year, then 36k the next 3 years (from what I understand about becoming an Ohio resident after a year). Thoughts?

EDIT: tuition is 66k not 60k*

I’d say that is substantial. ~$90k difference will be more after interest. Have fun at Toledo! But figure out if you want Ophtho quickly (shadow a lot during first year) so that you can make a competitive application if you decide you want to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d say that is substantial. ~$90k difference will be more after interest. Have fun at Toledo! But figure out if you want Ophtho quickly (shadow a lot during first year) so that you can make a competitive application if you decide you want to do it.
I’m somehow just seeing this, but thank you for confirming that for me! (I’ve already withdrew my A at Geisinger anyway lol so I’m glad it was the right call). I will definitely try my best to do that. Thank you sm <3

Toledo has the best Lebanese food anywhere. The Beirut and Sidon to name a couple of restaurants.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Toledo has the best Lebanese food anywhere. The Beirut and Sidon to name a couple of restaurants.
I've never had Lebanese food before! I would definitely like to one day, though :)
Let us know what you decided.
I withdrew from Geisinger. PTE at UT, but just got pulled from my top choice's WL on Tuesday! So I sadly withdrew from UT.