Tons of presentations and publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGrl@2022

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-trad. I have done a lot of research. I have published 4 abstracts, 1 editorial. Contributed to 3 invited lectures and I have done 7+ presentations. All of my abstracts were presented at conferences and made into posters.in nature and important clinical meetings. I am not first author on all of them but some were There is such a limit on the AACOMAS and AMCAS applications.

Will the ADCOMs know that I presented the abstracts at conferences or even care? I work with a MD MS MS Ph.D. who thinks that they will. I don't want to sound arrogant on my application either.

I was going to break it down into publications, invited lectures and presentations and put something like "Presented 7 posters... more citations available upon request..."

I was also going to use APA formatting. Is this okay?

Thank you for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

They're not going to know unless you tell them. You'll impress someone with your research, so you should include it. You should list each one in APA. You do not need to describe what the lecture/abstract/paper was about. Just list it, and they'll ask you about it during your interview. Do not be generic, like "presented 7 posters." Be specific. Include the date, title, location...all the stuff in the APA format for each paper, abstract, poster, presmetation, and lecture. If you do not know or remember all of the dates, locations, authors, etc., it's not a huge deal. Just include as much as you know.

Last edited:
They're not going to know unless you tell them. You'll impress someone with your research, so you should include it. You should list each one in APA. You do not need to describe what the lecture/abstract/paper was about. Just list it, and they'll ask you about it during your interview. Do not be generic, like "presented 7 posters." Be specific. Include the date, title, location...all the stuff in the APA format for each paper, abstract, poster, presmetation, and lecture. If you do not know or remember all of the dates, locations, authors, etc., it's not a huge deal. Just include as much as you know.

I have way to many to cite. It would take up half of my AMCAS application. I could list them all on my AACOMAS application though. For my AMCAS, I was just going to say "Since 2006, I have presented seven posters. Below are selected citations. More citations available upon request." Is there a better way to say this?

Thank you for your help. I want to be humble and modest but I guess you do have to toot your own horn for this thing. Otherwise the ADCOMs may never know. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For your AMCAS application, the choice is clear - don't list all of your research. Just mention the research that you felt was the most significant or something that you were the first author on.

You should specify what kind of posters you have presented since 2006 or leave it out entirely. Anyone can present a poster (or seven) and I don't think it would tell the ADCOMs anything significant.

Talking about all of your research isn't being prideful. Hundreds of applicants have the same or even more research than you. Don't put too much thought into it - you shouldn't have to try to be humble. When people tell me they're trying to be humble, it naturally leads me to believe that on the inside they think their accomplishments are truly that great. In an effort to preserve what may be their artificial humility, they try to mask their pride with a show that is acting modest. Don't make a fool of yourself, but certainly don't sell yourself short. Good luck!!

I have way to many to cite. It would take up half of my AMCAS application. I could list them all on my AACOMAS application though. For my AMCAS, I was just going to say "Since 2006, I have presented seven posters. Below are selected citations. More citations available upon request." Is there a better way to say this?

Thank you for your help. I want to be humble and modest but I guess you do have to toot your own horn for this thing. Otherwise the ADCOMs may never know. :)

Well then, I guess I would put all of the other stuff you want to include and then fill the rest up with your research. There are no rules to this. Just do what you think looks coherent. The more stuff, especially publications, the better.

List the most important, or the most recent (like, say, the past three years) and the total. I only list the last five years worth of meeting abstracts for posters/talks on my CV.

I am a non-trad. I have done a lot of research. I have published 4 abstracts, 1 editorial. Contributed to 3 invited lectures and I have done 7+ presentations. All of my abstracts were presented at conferences and made into posters.in nature and important clinical meetings. I am not first author on all of them but some were There is such a limit on the AACOMAS and AMCAS applications.

Will the ADCOMs know that I presented the abstracts at conferences or even care? I work with a MD MS MS Ph.D. who thinks that they will. I don't want to sound arrogant on my application either.

I was going to break it down into publications, invited lectures and presentations and put something like "Presented 7 posters... more citations available upon request..."

I was also going to use APA formatting. Is this okay?

Thank you for all your help.

List the most important, or the most recent (like, say, the past three years) and the total. I only list the last five years worth of meeting abstracts for posters/talks on my CV.

Most of the posters/abstracts/lectures, etc were from data that I collected at my paid research positions at NIH. Do you think it is okay if I list them on my ACOMAS as ECs though? Under my work, I was planning to give a description of my positions rather than a listing of citations. What do you think?

ECs are things you do outside of school. Scholarly activity done as work is, well, work.

So, I know you're dying to list all of your scholarly achievements, but what we at DO schools really, really want to see is your ability to do well in medical school, and that you'll make a good doctor.

Most of the posters/abstracts/lectures, etc were from data that I collected at my paid research positions at NIH. Do you think it is okay if I list them on my ACOMAS as ECs though? Under my work, I was planning to give a description of my positions rather than a listing of citations. What do you think?

ECs are things you do outside of school. Scholarly activity done as work is, well, work.

So, I know you're dying to list all of your scholarly achievements, but what we at DO schools really, really want to see is your ability to do well in medical school, and that you'll make a good doctor.

So scholarly clinical research, does not really add to my ACOMAS application? I was a bit afraid of that as I have spent almost 5 years at the NIH and thus have racked up a few years worth of scholarly works. :-/ However, I understand that having a million scholarly achievements, does not make you a good doctor or clinician. It might even be distracting or make the ADCOMs wonder why I am not going for a Ph.D. It is honestly only 10-15 scholarly works, but I feel like it is a lot to include on my applications and I do not want it to be distracting.

I want to include the citations to show that my work yielded products but I do not want my citations to take away from the descriptions of the positions. Thus, I remain unclear as to the proper way to include the citations on my ACOMAS. Do I just list one for each position and then say that the rest is available upon request?

I also did some independent research projects during undergrad. Some which were not part of a course, are those not considered ECs?

May I ask which school you represent Goro, as SDN mentions that you are faculty?

Thank you for all your help. :)

My opinion

Now is not really the time to be humble. Now is the time you have to fight to be seen amongst the crowd. List your most important research, or most applicable. If it was clinical research done with patients or done with upcoming pharma/etc list it

Do not treat your AACOMAS much differently than your AMCAS...

I worked in research for 6+ years before applying and had a ton of stuff to put down as well. I wouldn't bother with any type of formatting, just make it look presentable and abbreviate as much as you can while still making it legible. For publications or posters I listed names up until mine and then shortened the title if necessary for space but made sure to included the journal. I listed the most recent/relevant ones I could and then I said something along the lines of x# of additional publications PMID xxxxxx NEJM.

I listed my research in work, but it shouldn't matter if you put it in EC, don't think there's really an advantage to that though. I just included multiple entries in my work so I could describe everything I wanted. There was one just for my research job explaining my duties, one for journal publications, and one for poster/presentations.

Multiple people on my interviews told me they were impressed with my extensive research background. I think it was very important to my application. Not everyone will care about your research, but many people will and it is never going to hurt you. List everything you can!

That's your problem right there. we often get research-heavy people who honestly seem like they'd be better off in a PhD program.

Perhaps you should focus on the research-heavy COMs...TCOM comes to mind first, but so does TUCOM-CA, NYCOM, OUCOM, and KC-COM, among others.

I was a bit afraid of that as I have spent almost 5 years at the NIH and thus have racked up a few years worth of scholarly works. :-/ However, I understand that having a million scholarly achievements, does not make you a good doctor or clinician. It might even be distracting or make the ADCOMs wonder why I am not going for a Ph.D.

I think you'll have more room in your secondaries.

I want to include the citations to show that my work yielded products but I do not want my citations to take away from the descriptions of the positions. Thus, I remain unclear as to the proper way to include the citations on my ACOMAS. Do I just list one for each position and then say that the rest is available upon request?

Independent research as part of ...what? A hobby? An assignment given to you by someone you were shadowing? I need to know the context to better advise.

I also did some independent research projects during undergrad. Some which were not part of a course, are those not considered ECs?

Let's just say a COM somewhere west of the Missouri River.

May I ask which school you represent Goro, as SDN mentions that you are faculty?