Too early for letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westsidespartan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I still think I need more information before I make a decision. I have a clear first-choice school, and was pleasantly surprised when they interviewed me, because my stats aren't as high as their averages. So I'd like to send a letter of intent, guaranteeing them I'd matriculate, and hopefully give my application some more serious consideration. I would only be sending this to ONE school, so I'm not worried about adcoms 'talking'. But I haven't heard anything since my interview (month ago). Is it too early to send one? Should I wait to see if I'm waitlisted? I just wondered if sending one early might boost an otherwise rejection into waitlist, or a waitlist into an acceptance. Yet I also worry it might make me sound desperate and actually negatively impact my application. Does anyone have success stories with this? Or failures? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think there might be a reason that medical schools don't formally offer this option beyond early decision? I am still strongly against any sort of "letter of intent." I feel that if medical schools viewed such things positively, they would formally offer the option to you.

I feel that it is all in how you word it. Most schools would rather take someone who is excited about the school and genuinely interested over someone who appears not to care about their school compared to another. A letter of intent my be a bit strong, but a thank you letter to the interviewer or to the Dean of Admissions expressing thanks for the interview as well as your impressions of the school may help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree...

I think if you only send it to one school they will look on you more favorably. When i called a school I had been "temporarily waitlisted" at...They have a semi rolling admissions but for the time being I am waitlisted...they told me that i could send a letter to the dean telling her of my recent adventures or I could send her a letter of intent. It was entirely up to me :)

When I was at WashU, the Assistant Dean of Admissions said that if we at any point think WashU becomes our top choice, then we should send a letter to the school saying so. She said this is true for other schools also. It doesn't hurt to let the school know that you are interested!

I personally sent a semi letter of intent. I told a school that I would love to go there and the second I'm admitted I'd drop any schools except for any that I might have baught a plane ticket for an interview on. But I would wait until you find out if you are on the waitlist. Or better yet, E-mail the dean and ask if this would help.