soprano

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
Okay, so I'm about to start 2nd year, and I'm starting to freak out. I feel like I don't know ANYTHING!! I mean, I did pretty well 1st year, no honors (but came REALLLLLLY close once...) but also no failures. I felt like I knew stuff before every exam, but now I feel like everything just popped right back out of my head! How the heck am I supposed to relearn all of this for step I? Is this normal? Should I be worried? Should I try to review some stuff over the rest of my summer, or am I just freaking out for nothing? Advice? Anyone? Anyone??

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
soprano said:
Okay, so I'm about to start 2nd year, and I'm starting to freak out. I feel like I don't know ANYTHING!! I mean, I did pretty well 1st year, no honors (but came REALLLLLLY close once...) but also no failures. I felt like I knew stuff before every exam, but now I feel like everything just popped right back out of my head! How the heck am I supposed to relearn all of this for step I? Is this normal? Should I be worried? Should I try to review some stuff over the rest of my summer, or am I just freaking out for nothing? Advice? Anyone? Anyone??
2d year material is much higher yield for step 1 and you haven't even taken it yet. Everyone in your year is in the same boat, and very few will have started reviewing anything yet, so chill. If you were in the bottom of your class and never grasped much of first year, that might be different.

mineshMD

MineshMD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2005
Status
Here at Tennessee COM, we started 2nd year this past April and will continue it in August. Many of the things we have learned so far require just the broad concepts from 1st year. It's amazing what & how much you can recall when you hear something or read something related to M1 year material. You can go to www.prep4usmle.com and download charts and tables that med students have made that summarize the diseases mentioned in biochem or physiology or anatomy. I think diseases are high yield rather than some details mentioned during M1 classes. Once you read through the charts/tables you should able to recall the broad basic science concepts behind the diseases.
If you focus too much on the future, you won't enjoy the present. Maybe spend a few hours a day or week reviewing M1 year (esp. diseases) and then kick back, pop open a few cold ones, and enjoy your days off. Remember, you'll also have Christmas holiday to prep for Step I.