too early to contact programs with sincere interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homespunsilk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did all of my cores in the New England area (Connecticut to be exact), but I have a lot of family and ties in the midwest (Michigan and such). Now my application doesn't state this anywhere but I feel as though I should let the programs know that I want to be close to them and interview at their program.

Should I let them know ASAP or later in the process? Most of the places that I am interested in have started sending out invites, but I haven't received one yet =(

Members don't see this ad.

later. you'll get or not get an interview based on your merits, and then if you interview somewhere, let the PD know why you want to be in that geographic area. at this point sending an email or making a phone call comes across as desperate.

I did all of my cores in the New England area (Connecticut to be exact), but I have a lot of family and ties in the midwest (Michigan and such). Now my application doesn't state this anywhere but I feel as though I should let the programs know that I want to be close to them and interview at their program.

Should I let them know ASAP or later in the process? Most of the places that I am interested in have started sending out invites, but I haven't received one yet =(

The way I see it--If I send an interest letter now, it would come off as sincere rather than desperate.

If I send an email of interest later on in the process (say november), that would be seen as desperate--like "hes making a desperate effort now that he only has a couple interviews"

I guess it's all about perspective.

What do the majority suggest?

The way I see it--If I send an interest letter now, it would come off as sincere rather than desperate.

If I send an email of interest later on in the process (say november), that would be seen as desperate--like "hes making a desperate effort now that he only has a couple interviews"

Which specialty are you applying to? Have you checked out interview invites threads? I really would wait before contacting programs. The PCs are very busy and calling them is probably not going to help you at this point.

I am a caribbean img applying for radiology. My scores are ...I know that a lot of universities have started to give out interviews, but I dont expect many (or any honestly) from them. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I've been on the other side of this already, and I think it would come off as desperate. But go ahead and send it - it's not like they can not invite you for an interview twice. You asked for advice on an internet forum, and I gave it. I don't have a personal stake in this.

you have strong USMLE scores, but you're applying for a very competitive field as an IMG. the odds are not in your favor, and i personally do not think an email stating your desire to live in a particular part of the country is going to make a program director any more (or less, for what it's worth) inclined to offer you an interview. even if you do get an interview, you face a big uphill climb to overcome the Carribbean school factor.

I have a question similar to the original poster. I am an IMG with strong board scores/clinical grades/class rank applying for FM. I am originally from the midwest which is where I mainly applied. I have not heard from 4 of my top programs. Would it count against me or help me to send the program an email saying something like "Hello, my name is xxx and I am strongly interested in your program for XYZ and I am wondering if you have completed scheduling interviews." ?

I have a question similar to the original poster. I am an IMG with strong board scores/clinical grades/class rank applying for FM. I am originally from the midwest which is where I mainly applied. I have not heard from 4 of my top programs. Would it count against me or help me to send the program an email saying something like "Hello, my name is xxx and I am strongly interested in your program for XYZ and I am wondering if you have completed scheduling interviews." ?

I don't see the harm in this. Give it a shot, what do you have to lose?