Too early to send a letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DangerRoss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a school that I interviewed in October and I expect to hear back by the end of November or early December. I absolutely loved the school and at this point, I'm certain that it's the school that I would absolutely want to attend if I were to get accepted. I've also started doing new research and volunteer work, and so I was trying to send them the "if you accept me, I will go there"+Update letter next week. Would I appear too desperate sending them the ultimate letter of intent at this point in the admission process?

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't even received a decision yet...
Isn't that the point? Once they reject you, it's far too late to send an LOI.

I'm not sure I'd bother with too many updates (it's only been a month), but I don't see anything wrong with a BRIEF letter saying it's your top choice (if it is).

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Some people seem to think their entire purpose on SDN is to be a prick. They play that role well.
2. It is to early. Send them a letter talking about how you think they will be your number one choice. Then come march when they have interviewed everybody and you are in the grey area where they are deciding if they will take you or another person, send them the most glowingest letter ever.

Isn't that the point? Once they reject you, it's far too late to send an LOI.

I'm not sure I'd bother with too many updates (it's only been a month), but I don't see anything wrong with a BRIEF letter saying it's your top choice (if it is).

I suppose, but if you're rejected (vs. put on hold or waitlisted), I'm thinking a letter of intent is going to do nothing to improve your chances. If you play your cards all up front and are still waitlisted, you have nothing else you can add.

i say go all in from the start. if you feel strongly about the school then say that up front. Your endgame should be to get an outright acceptance, not languish on the waitlist for months with no guarantee. Play it strong from the beginning and it will seem more genuine and ....u have lots to gain and nothing to lose.

i say go all in from the start. if you feel strongly about the school then say that up front. Your endgame should be to get an outright acceptance, not languish on the waitlist for months with no guarantee. Play it strong from the beginning and it will seem more genuine and ....u have lots to gain and nothing to lose.

:thumbup: That's what I did. I had a feeling the school was my top choice even before submitting my applications and interviewing there proved the fit to me. Someone above said to not play all your cards so early on, but I believe that even if you are waitlisted after your LOI, you can STILL come up with more stuff to say + add updates.

Would it be all right to send a Thank-you letter combined with a statement of how the school is your top choice and that you would attend if accepted right after the interview? Like someone else mentioned you can always find more things to write about later if need be.

Would it be all right to send a Thank-you letter combined with a statement of how the school is your top choice and that you would attend if accepted right after the interview? Like someone else mentioned you can always find more things to write about later if need be.
This is what I would do...
TheGloaming...
charlie-sheen-winning-resized-600.jpg

Absolutely.

My last update letter went like this:

Dear Dr. [Dean of Admissions]:

Thank you so much for interviewing me one month ago. As you are already aware, I have received several acceptances from other schools but am still holding out for your school as it is my number one choice. However, I have not yet heard back from you. My interviewer at your school said I did very well and stated that if I published a paper soon, I should let you know because then I would certainly be accepted. I have, in fact, recently published a paper in our Chemistry dept's monthly student journal. I have sent you a copy in the mail and believe this will do well in forming your decision for you. With that, I would like to thank you for my forthcoming acceptance letter from your school. I gladly accept and have sent my $100 deposit along with the paper.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to having you as my professor for Anatomy this fall.

Sincerely,

music2doc

Absolutely.

Thank you so much for interviewing me one month ago. As you are already aware, I have received several acceptances from other schools but am still holding out for your school as it is my number one choice. However, I have not yet heard back from you. My interviewer at your school said I did very well and stated that if I published a paper soon, I should let you know because then I would certainly be accepted. I have, in fact, recently published a paper in our Chemistry dept's monthly student journal. I have sent you a copy in the mail and believe this will do well in forming your decision for you. With that, I would like to thank you for my forthcoming acceptance letter from your school. I gladly accept and have sent my $100 deposit along with the paper.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to having you as my professor for Anatomy this fall.

Sincerely,

music2doc

Haha, that was a good one... Now on to commenting on the above post.... Oh, wait it doesn't deserve one.

Absolutely.

Sincerely,

music2doc

edit, now obvious this update letter is a joke.

Absolutely.

Sincerely,

music2doc

Wait, so did you actually send this?

Wait, so did you actually send this?

Yep. School accepted me within 24 hours of receiving it.

Also, if you believe the above, I have some dehydrated water products you might be interested in purchasing... They're great for camping -- just add water!

Would be epic if he did :D. Hopefully noone decides to blindly copy and paste that into their update letters :p

I almost want to at a throwaway school (being as I am already accepted elsewhere) just to see how they respond, but I wouldn't actually...something about being mature and professional and all... (whatever that means!)

i sent one in a week after my interview. it was my second of three interviews and then i was accepted two weeks later.

i honestly don't think there is anything wrong with sending it in early. if you know that's where you want to go, then you send it. it's honestly a little dumb to not do everything you can, take every advantage you can, to get into the top school of your choice.

that being said only send it after you've interviewed and do the moral thing and only send it to one.