Too early to start studying for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t2oo5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into my sophomore year of my biochemistry/premed major at my university. Do you think it's too early to start worrying about the MCAT, and to start to study for it. I certainly want to do well, and I want to start gathering study guides/trying different study methods for the MCATs. Of course I don't plan on taking a class until when the time approaches closer, but anyone have any advice, or any suggestions where to begin at this stage of my education? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

t2oo5 said:
I'm going into my sophomore year of my biochemistry/premed major at my university. Do you think it's too early to start worrying about the MCAT, and to start to study for it. I certainly want to do well, and I want to start gathering study guides/trying different study methods for the MCATs. Of course I don't plan on taking a class until when the time approaches closer, but anyone have any advice, or any suggestions where to begin at this stage of my education? Thanks!

When do you plan on taking it? End of Sophmore year, beginning of Junior...etc? You are probably still learning the material (orgo and others), so a review (like EK or Kaplan) would be out of the question.

AWhitehair said:
When do you plan on taking it? End of Sophmore year, beginning of Junior...etc? You are probably still learning the material (orgo and others), so a review (like EK or Kaplan) would be out of the question.

Well, I don't really have a plan when to take it. I assume beginning of Junior year? Yeah, I am taking Orgo next semester along with Physics, so a review probably wouldnt be beneficial. Anything else though I can do to start to prep?

t2oo5 said:
Well, I don't really have a plan when to take it. I assume beginning of Junior year? Yeah, I am taking Orgo next semester along with Physics, so a review probably wouldnt be beneficial. Anything else though I can do to start to prep?

Work on your reading comprehension for VR. That's about all I can think of this early in the game. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
t2oo5 said:

Studying for it now would be useless, because you simply don't know anything yet. I tried studying for the MCAT early too and it was way too hard considering I still had a lot to learn. Trust me you are going to have your hands full this upcomming sophomore year with classes like organic/genetics/physics so don't stress the MCAT yet. It's really good to see that you are taking being a pre-med seriously though.

i agree, although i do suggest using some flashcards and stuff in supplement to the prereqs youw ill be taking soon. that helped me with my classes in getting some ridiculosuly complex material down to simple concepts. It also restrospectively helped me understand mcat material more too.

If you are going to do home study then get those books now and read along the relevant chapters in class. When it comes time to prep for the MCAT those chapters will be very familiar and fast reads. I did this with Bio and Ochem and felt like I had a mastery of the subject in 6 weeks of studying allowing me to concetrate on PS. I scored a BS 12 on the real deal.

Also this is the approach that you will find in the Step 1/ Comlex 1 forums. They are using step 1/comlex 1 review books during years 1-2 to make board prep easier.

I've got a while till I take it and I still do some stuff. I am not doing ochem or anything but the basic bio stuff, and especially verbal I hit up a little every week........not much just reading and working on refamiliarizing stuff.

I'm taking it April/May next year. I have the EK books and 1001 series as well as Audio Osmosis. I'm starting the EK 10-week study schedule without the tests in August, and will add the tests when I go back on the second round.

I'm taking A&P this summer and with my job I travel at least 1.5-2 hours a day. So I listen to Audio Osmosis Bio lectures pertaining to whatever chapter I'm on in A&P. It connects to my class information really well.

That's how I'm getting a jump on the MCAT. Hopefully I'll continue to stay motivated.

t2oo5 said:
I think one of the best things you can do is make sure you really understand the material that you will be learning in this next semester or two. Don't just cram for the tests (as many college students do), don't just let things go if you don't fully understand them...the more you know at the end of the semester, the less review you'll have to do for the MCAT.

megboo said:
I'm taking it April/May next year. I have the EK books and 1001 series as well as Audio Osmosis. I'm starting the EK 10-week study schedule without the tests in August, and will add the tests when I go back on the second round.

I'm taking A&P this summer and with my job I travel at least 1.5-2 hours a day. So I listen to Audio Osmosis Bio lectures pertaining to whatever chapter I'm on in A&P. It connects to my class information really well.

That's how I'm getting a jump on the MCAT. Hopefully I'll continue to stay motivated.
I plan to take the April exam too. I've already got a bunch of AAMC and Kaplan practice tests, but no review books yet. It feels a little too early to start preparing, although I feel like I should because I have plenty of free time. So I'll probably start looking through my old notes and stuff around August. I have taken all pre-reqs except bio (otherwise I'd be taking in Aug). Then again, you don't want to burn out too soon...

As far as verbal prep goes, I think just reading books, newspapers, whatever would be helpful. I love to read so I'm not just doing it for comprehension skills! Anyway, good luck!