Too early to start volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hippiespeak

Boricua nerd
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, is the summer before I start undergrad too early to start volunteering at a hospital or thinking about shadowing a doc? I want to go ahead and get started with everything but I don't want to be under-qualified. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, is the summer before I start undergrad too early to start volunteering at a hospital or thinking about shadowing a doc? I want to go ahead and get started with everything but I don't want to be under-qualified. Thanks

never too early to be awesome.

F volunteering. why not just get a clinical job.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: that's good advice, no but I like volunteering. I just don't know when.

if anything, it's a good time to find something GOOD. as in something you won't dread in 2/3 years...because if anything, you want to show dedication. so find something good you can stick with throughout undergrad.

I wouldn't say it's too early if you're just eager to get started. I was the same way. However, if you're starting to stress already and feel compelled to do something: why not just relax and enjoy your summer? You'll have enough stress when classes start.

But yeah, if you know of somewhere you want to volunteer or something, and you're just excited to get started, by all means go for it! Also, the idea of a clinical job is great advice. Don't feel like you should just do volunteering because it's the "noble thing!" Most college students have part-time jobs for extra money: why not make it something you love? I have friends who groan about going to work at McDonalds or wherever, but those of us with clinical jobs looove going to work!

I do volunteer at a nursing home for a couple hours a week, but work part-time as a nurse's aide. I started working as a nurses aide the summer before my freshman year of college and it's helped A LOT with expenses here and there and I get so much more immersion in the field than I would just volunteering.

PM me if you want any more advice!! I'd be glad to give tips!

Good luck! :)

this summer, the summer after high school and before undergrad is one of the best summers you will ever have. you will have absolutely nothing to worry about.

if you plan to volunteer, dont put too many hours in. you have plenty of time to do it later. i didnt do research or get clinical experience till my 3rd year.

I have started volunteering and I don't officially begin undergrad till this fall. The reason I started early was because I figured I could get a good chunk of my volunteer work out of the way before classes started. FYI, I am an untraditional student. I graduated highschool in 2008 so I havent been in school going on two years. I used that time to work and figure things out. Since you are going straight to college, I would take their advice about maybe taking the summer off to enjoy.

its a great time to start volunteering. Go for it!

As others have said, I don't think that it's ever too early to start volunteering. The fact that you'll have longitudinal experiences is something you can emphasize in your application several years from now.

Volunteer because you want to be of service to those in need. If you don't feel it, don't bother. It is never too early to want to be of service.

It isn't too early to shadow. You may discover that you just aren't drawn to medicine and if you find out sooner than later you'll be able to adjust your college schedule to explore other opportunities.

I started my summer before first year undergrad (i am currently finishing up 2nd year) and i have continued since! do it if you have the time and enjoy it. Any experience or exposure is usually great.

Thanks for the input everyone, I think I'm going to go ahead and volunteer or shadow. No hurt in starting early