too early to study for MCATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ada1387

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working and taking a few courses to complete my pre-reqs. I am thinking of taking the MCATs in 2012. is it too early to study?

Members don't see this ad.

I am working and taking a few courses to complete my pre-reqs. I am thinking of taking the MCATs in 2012. is it too early to study?

I'd say too early. Focus on learning the pre-reqs as well as possible and that will make reviewing much easier. Everyone gets thoroughly freaked out by the MCAT (with good reason), but MCAT studying shouldn't take priority over pre-req coursework when you're so far out from the real test.

That's a little bit early. I wouldn't even feel motivated to start studying. You might get burnt out. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I think it's never too early to study for the MCAT. I wouldn't suggest studying intensely ... but there is a LOT of material and anyone who attempts to master the material will realize time becomes an obstacle. If you familiarize yourself with some of the concepts in advance (concepts you encountered in class already but perhaps weren't taught very well at your institution), you could save yourself a great deal of time in the future. It also wouldn't hurt to brush up on some concepts you already learned so that you won't forget them in the future. I know for me personally, I forgot a great deal of information. I took a Physics class in the summer and there were so many important concepts that I just couldn't remember. What I wish I did while in college, was get an MCAT prep book so that way I can focus on MCAT topics only.

Also, most people on here seem to struggle with the verbal portion of the MCAT. If you think verbal might be difficult for you, try reading online journals. Try to get comfortable reading about unfamiliar subjects. Analyze what the author is saying. What message is he trying to give, if any? Also, it wouldn't hurt to increase your vocabulary. Why not consider learning a word a day? :) http://wordsmith.org/words/today.html

Anyhow, just like those said above, the most important form of studying for the MCAT is your college pre-reqs. The more you understand the material taught in those classes, the easier your MCAT experience will be!! Trust me. You'll save yourself a whole lot of unnecessary stress if you learn it well the first time.

Aside from brushing up and trying to keep the material fresh in your mind, I would allocate about 3 months to adequately prepare for the MCAT.

Goodluck!

You are pretty much studying for the MCAT by taking the pre-req's... I wouldnt start taking diagnostics or practice ones until your done with most of the classes...could be discouraging unless your just a bomb diggity multiple choice test taker (with a lil writting)

Too early. Flip through things for a good time if you want, but don't start seriously studying until a few months before. Trying to recover from burn out right before your MCAT is ugly.

What I think would maybe be a good idea is to go to the AAMC MCAT website, look up the all the test topics covered and compare this to what you are currently learning in your pre-reqs. This will help you to be familiar with what material you will see again when actually studying for the MCAT. Also, if you skip a topic in you class that's tested on the MCAT, you could read up on it anyways just for a little background knowledge.

You will forget everything you know if you start studying now. Go 4-5 months before the test at latest. 3-4 months before is probably the most ideal