Too easy of a schedule looked down upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apoptosis123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if med schools would look down upon having an easy schedule one quarter. I would be taking ochem, molecular bio, and 5 units of research for a total of 13 units. I'll actually only be doing 2 units of research but getting credit for 5 - my PI is making up for the fact that I've been doing research the past year and not receiving credit for it (because of a logistical issue).

I know those two classes are hard, but I've typically been doing 15-16 units a quarter as do most. I have a 3.9+ GPA so I don't think med schools will doubt whether or not I can handle a tough workload. The reason I want to have an easier schedule is so I can get extra studying in for my September MCAT.

I'd like to hear people's opinions... thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 3 classes senior spring and it never came up in any of my multiple interviews.

I think you are fine. However, I remember talking to the adcoms at columbia when I was at smdep. The number classes you take does seem to matter to some extent to them. I think class load is more important if your school is seen not to be a very rigorous one, you can really make up for this fact by taking a lot classes and doing well in them. Whereas, if your school is already seen as "easy" and you are taking a light load every semester and eventhough you get a 4.0 they may question your ability to handle the medical school load, especially if you are shooting for one of the top twenty. Of course it can be argured that the MCAT levels the playing field however, GPA is a better indicator of your work ethic than the MCAT is. -----> 3-4 years of studying to get As' vs 2-3 months of studying for the MCAT.

With how much Ive busted my ass the past three years with classes, my Senior year is going to be super relaxed. There's nothing I can do about it either, haha. I've taken all my major classes, all my pre-reqs. Really all I have to take is a stats class, a humanities or two, and an ethnic studies. Basically I just need to take 25 credits between two semesters next year, and god DAMN is it going to be nice. I'm going to finally know what it's like to live like a business student and go out more than once or twice a month.