Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Too expensive...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CoronaBOY, Nov 6, 2002.

1. CoronaBOY

CoronaBOY Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

when you get an interview out of state, how much money do you guys usually spend? (flight, hotel, taxi, food...)

i can't find decent price flight to VCU from Texas...most of them are over $1000, or you have to stay over at some other state until next morning to get to VCU....

Da#$%...already spending about $500-600 for Wake Forest...

got any tips?

2. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

try booking with travelocity - they will tell you how much you can save by shifting your days. for example, by spending one extra day at pitt, I can save $280...of course it all depends on whether the changes fit your schedule or not.

3. klp14

klp14 Member in Flipflops
    7+ Year Member

You might be better off flying into DC and then renting a car to go down to Richmond. That way you'll have transportation to get around town and see what it's like if you've never been there before. $1000 is nutsy!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. poloace

poloace Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

who is this klp character... that's a brilliant idea.
    p

5. surfdevl02

surfdevl02 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

statravel.com and priceline are your best bets!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Try Southwest..they're usually pretty cheap.

Take a super shuttle from the airport to the interview and back. It's much cheaper than a cab. Stay with students if you can (it's free).

7. ubiquitous

ubiquitous Purple Member
    7+ Year Member

If you fly into Reagan National Airport, Richmond is less than two hours away by car! And if you reserve your car online, you can get some really cheap rates. I think this is your best bet.

Good Luck.

8. klp14

klp14 Member in Flipflops
    7+ Year Member

You're a gem, poloace.

9. republicandr

republicandr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you really want to save money, then call other schools in the area to see if they will interview you as well.

As an example, I was invited to interview at Newark, NJ (I'm from Washington state). So, I called up Piscataway, NJ and asked them if they would review my file and decide if they would like to interview me, so that I could fly out there only once. They saw that it would be a hardship, then they reviewed my file and decided to interview me. Spent about $1000.

About a month later, I started to get more schools invite me to interview. I grouped them so that I could go to all 5 schools in one trip: Rochester, Pittsburgh, Albany, Uniformed Services and Drexel. I flew out, drove a rental car about 8 hours a day, and then flew back home. I stayed with a host at Drexel. Grouping the schools saved me a tremendous amount of money. Still spent about $1500.

I was going to go on another trip: UIC, University of Wisconsin and University of Michigan. But, I was accepted at Newark, so I cancelled all other trips. So, far I have heard good news from 5 schools. Keep your hopes up. And the best advice I can give is to group the school interviews together.

10. phil413ru

phil413ru Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Try ATA airlines. I am in WA state, and I need to go to DC. Northwest is almost $1000. ATA was $350--and that was with ~two week notice.

Also go to studentuniverse.com--if you are still in school, may be able to get discounts.