Too hard course load? 3 sciences + 1 math?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctaborda

hispanic-pre-med
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a very important question.

Is it too much of a load to take Chem1+Lab, Bio2+Lab, Physics1+Lab and precal?
Should I not take physics?. I'm a sophomore and im very persistant and dedicated with my studying...

Well I expect someone gives me some advice and I hope this isnt suicide.
Thanks
Carlos

Members don't see this ad.

bump before it goes off

It sounds tough, but doable... In my junior year spring semeser i took 17.5 units including ochem w/lab, biophysical chem, general bio w/lab, a 4unit virology class, and a couple other seminars and got a 3.5 gpa while working in a lab

Members don't see this ad :)
Those sciences are all weeding out classes, especially if you go to UM. You can do it, but there is no real reason to. IMO, drop one of the sciences+lab and take some of your general education requirements.

im a biochem major, i do it almost every semester. go for it..if you want to get things over with. its not SO HARD, but you will be spending a lot of time in your room. A LOT.

ctaborda said:

Should I not take physics?. I'm a sophomore and im very persistant and dedicated with my studying...

Thanks
Carlos

No it is not suicide, have fun. That being said, the key to any schedule is to make sure you are still able to do well in all of your classes. I have no idea of what your academic abilities are, but you do. If you think you can do these courses and still get A's then go for it.

stifler said:
im a biochem major, i do it almost every semester. go for it..if you want to get things over with. its not SO HARD, but you will be spending a lot of time in your room. A LOT.

I know what you mean. However, My roommate is an Art student who watches cartoons, hour for hour as much as I study (a lot) Usually when I'm trying to. :rolleyes:

If you people want a challenege turn on cartoon network and blast it while trying to read a given text.

I hate ed, edd, and eddie. :mad:

I did what you are planning on doing, and it worked out well. However, I was post-bac & had probably >100 credit hours more coursework under my belt. I only bring this up because I had enough experience to know I could still get the grades I wanted while taking orgo, phys, & bio2, while working 25 hrs/wk, volunteering & so forth. If you *think* you can handle it, but it will be a close call, move one of those classes to a different semester. If you think you can handle it and you know that you will be challenged, but not stretched too thin, then go for it. Just be ready to struggle, if your teachers are at all difficult.

Best of luck

Well guys I appreciate it alot, I think I will go ahead with it. It will be alot of work, but still im up for the task.

Thanks
Carlos

U have to remmeber why you are doing it in the first place. To get it over with or to get good grades from? Med school admissions dont really give weight if you have one semester of insanely hard classes or not. So if you can guarantee yourself an A if you just split that course load, I would rather do that.

Unless your intention is to graduate early, which is pretty impressive.. then do it.

AxlxA said:
U have to remmeber why you are doing it in the first place. To get it over with or to get good grades from? Med school admissions dont really give weight if you have one semester of insanely hard classes or not. So if you can guarantee yourself an A if you just split that course load, I would rather do that.

Unless your intention is to graduate early, which is pretty impressive.. then do it.

I totally agree with this post -- it is far more important to get A's in all these subjects than to get done with them early. If you can do both, fantastic. If not, then take a lesser load. Med school will always be there if you get A's over whatever time it takes, but it won't be an option if you flub things quick. And graduating early doesn't always make sense, as younger applicants reportedly sometimes have a harder sell to prove to adcoms that they are "mature" enough for med school.
Far more people in med school took an extra year or two after college to finish all the prereqs than those who started a year earlier.

Law2Doc said:
it is far more important to get A's in all these subjects than to get done with them early. Med school will always be there if you get A's over whatever time it takes, but it won't be an option if you flub things quick.

Does this advice apply to us older folks (> 40)? I feel great pressure to redo my outdated and dismal sciences (science GPA 2.9 ugrad only, so far 3.11 combined with post-bacc science gpa after 1 semester) as fast as possible?.

I do it every semester, But I have to say that it sucks and sometimes I want to quit. Then I think about med school... and that is going to 10 times harder... I can't wait. haha

I honestly think it will be ALOT of work, however I feel motivated to work my butt off. I know it sounds crazy but i've already even started doing some physics review for next semester. Bio 2 is a "concepts" class, so its mostly understanding and knowing the info. But physics, chem and precal are based on understanding everything from the concepts to being able to solve the problems.

Its good to know that its overall looked at as something "doable" which to me is very important. I am sure that if I give my total 100% I will get A's, and I will not only want to give my 100%, but will also be motivated and forced to do it.

The other thing im doing this is because I have rather have this mix, than having Chem2 with physics and calculus, or having Organic Chem with calculus and physics in later semester... I think bio2, chem1, phys1 + precal will be more doable than those other killer combos.

eccles1214 said:
Does this advice apply to us older folks (> 40)? I feel great pressure to redo my outdated and dismal sciences (science GPA 2.9 ugrad only, so far 3.11 combined with post-bacc science gpa after 1 semester) as fast as possible?.

While I am not quite in your age bracket, I think getting all A's is still more important for you than getting it done quickly. Your prior low BCPM will be of at least as big a concern to adcoms as your age, and so if you can show them a fresh slate of A's (even if it takes a couple of years), at least you have proven you can handle science classes. Besides, applying at eg 41 versus 44 is not going to make a whole heck of a lot of difference, but applying as a current B student in the sciences versus an A student will.

I agree, its more important to get A's than to do it fast. In fact, it is so that I am now going to be taking the Art credit ie, music appreciation rather than physics for this semester. I think chem1+L, Bio2+L, precal and, art will give me more leeway to participate in research and get A's in all of them. Anyways, I hear that physics is normally taken in the junior year so I shouldnt be in a rush.

As for eccles1214, I agree with the previous poster. However, I think 4 years make a huge difference for someone >40. You also have to consider the medschool years aswell as the residency years. If you finish premed at 45, you wont be done with your specialty until you are around 55. That gives you 5 years until you turn 60, and if you think about it - you wont be so competetive against new 30 year old surgeons.

I dont mean to discourage you, I just want to make a point about saving time being an important issue for your age group.

i agree with what most people are saying, that getting straight A's is more important than getting it done all at once. i hope what i said earlier is not pressuring you to take on a heavy courseload. My roomate in college took an extra semester to finish his degree, but that was because he took the minimum 12 units every semester (making sure also to take notoriously easy filler/interesting classes to account for some units). needless to say, he ended up with over a 3.9 GPA and got into med school right off the bat.

yea its true

ctaborda said:
yea its true

Hey- do you go to UM? Let me know- I took nearly the same courseload once. And I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

ctaborda said:

Thanks
Carlos

YES, THIS IS SUICIDE. YOU MUST BE INSANE.