bnleong

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
predents.com
Status
Pre-Dental
I always been interested in serving my country. Before Dentistry, I wanted to join the Navy Seals but I could not due to vision requirements. Now, I see the HPSP program as a good option for me.

I am wondering though if it is too late to apply during this cycle? Or should I just wait next year and apply for 3 year scholarships.

Also can just use the committee letters that were sent to dental school as my 3 letters of recommendation.

Thanks.

MatthewLeeDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Dentist
Your first priority should be to get with a recruiter ASAP. I'm if not mistaken, it is too late for the Air Force but maybe not for other branches. Either way, get with a recruiter now! They will be getting everything taken care of for you.

As far as the letters, it's irrelevant if you can't apply. With that said, you probably would not want to use those letters, as they will be more focused on why you should be accepted to dental school rather than why you should be accepted into a military program. Yes, you will be doing dentistry in the military but however similar the application process may seem, they are very different.

Smiley25

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I always been interested in serving my country. Before Dentistry, I wanted to join the Navy Seals but I could not due to vision requirements. Now, I see the HPSP program as a good option for me.

I am wondering though if it is too late to apply during this cycle? Or should I just wait next year and apply for 3 year scholarships.

Also can just use the committee letters that were sent to dental school as my 3 letters of recommendation.

Thanks.
I would just ask your recruiter what to do about the LOR. I was accepted the first of the month and I used the same LOR. My recruiter told me that the letters I submitted in my dental school application would be fine and not to go and ask the same or different professors to write new ones for(in my case) the Navy. He said that if I knew someone in the military then I could have them write me a LOR. The people on the board are Dentists-they have been where we are and know what it's like to get 4 LOR! I think you should talk to your recruiter first about this matter and get his opinion.

krmower

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
Status
Dentist

Thanks.
In the Army there are fewer 3 yr scholarships available than 4 yr. The 3 yr go much quicker.

tbiv21

7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Dental Student

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2013
Status
Dental Student
Do most people just submit the same LOR's or do they normally get separate one?.
This thread is four years old... But I can answer your question from my experience. Both my Army and AF recruiters told me I could use the same letters as I used for D school. I took this with a grain of salt, and still asked my letter writers if they could please slightly tweak their letters for Army/AF.

PM if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help!