Too late for LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.LeoSpaceman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got done with my last interview last Friday, and I have waited until now to figure out where I wanted to send a letter of intent simply because I wanted to have an idea about all the schools I was considering. My question is, is it too late to send one? The school I am thinking of sending it too is non-rolling, and I interviewed in mid-December, with their decisions coming in mid-March.

Also, I was thinking of sending some update/letters of interest to a few other schools that have similar dealines.

Is it too late for these letters to make any difference? Thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

It's probably not too late. In any case, it can't hurt to send one. Until they make the decision official they can always change their mind, that's part of the motive for schools to choose to be non-rolling I imagine.

Yeah you should def send one....the earlier the better of course, but at this point in the game, I think you should be fine if you sent one in now....good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
is there anything binding about letters of intent? i mean, theoretically, couldn't you send an LOI to EVERY school with which you interviewed? just curious.

From what I understand, in theory you could send LOI to every school. This isgenerally regarded as bad form, however. Nothing really would happen unless schools started talking (which has been known to happen...especially with the top 10s) and found out you sent a LOI to every one of them. If that happened, it could be substantial negative.

Instead of sending a letter of intent, you can send a letter of interest. Basically an update saying that you really like the school, and could see yourself doing well there, etc. Those you can send to as many as you like.

Right, you could send a Letter of Intent to every school you were on the waitlist for, however, it is in poor taste and completely lacks integrity. The whole reason for someone to write an LOI is to say that they would 100% for sure go to that school if accepted. Yes you might get away with it, but you never know who's friends with who at what schools, and if they're part of the adcoms at those schools or not.....I dont think its worth the risk, you never know

I was under the impression that LOI were usually sent once people became waitlisted. You guys are worried about sending them in too late...I kinda figured people were just starting to send them out. Have most people already sent them?

Only us neurotic SDN'ers.

iunci said:
I was under the impression that LOI were usually sent once people became waitlisted. You guys are worried about sending them in too late...I kinda figured people were just starting to send them out. Have most people already sent them?

thats what im guessing, although some people may have been waitlisted for a few months already....but for sending an LOI i think its still relatively early in the game to do so, but I would get one out asap regardless

Yeah, I suppose in general they start coming out with waitlists. So these are more like update letters where I will explain my intentions. Just something to spice up file which has been stagnant for 2 months after the interview.

ok so I have a question. I sent a letter to a school telling them they are my first choice. So does that qualify it as a letter of intent? Can I send letters to any other schools at all? I'm kinda confused.

You can still send letters of interest, which don't explicitly state that a school is your top choice or that you would matriculate if accepted.

I think stating a school is your top choice is virtually a letter of intent, but if you're waitlisted you can send another letter telling them that you would definitely attend if accepted.

Kazema said:
You can still send letters of interest, which don't explicitly state that a school is your top choice or that you would matriculate if accepted.

I think stating a school is your top choice is virtually a letter of intent, but if you're waitlisted you can send another letter telling them that you would definitely attend if accepted.

thanks

I don't think it can hurt. I mean, at this point, what do you have to lose?

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users