Too late for SMP or Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manogamez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just finished my last year at UPENN with a 3.1 GPA (BSE in Bioengineering) and a 37 MCAT and have decided to strengthen my academic record before applying to med school. I am 20 years old.

I've finished all but two of my med school requirements (I recieved two C-'s in two bio classes) and, as stated above, have already completed the MCAT.

I've read up on SMPs and Post-baccs and would be open to either given that the program of interest can be completed in 1 year (or allows me to take enough classes before applying to med). However, I've discovered that many of the deadlines for the programs have already passed and I really would like to apply to medical schools next summer.

Am I out of options or are there still programs for me that I can apply for, specifically in California and Philadelphia?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

When I did a post bacc a few years ago to take Vet School pre reqs I applied to Penn in June, and from what I can tell the deadline for Fall admission is still July 15, so if you want to stay where you are that would be a possibility. I know Drexel's SMP deadline has passed, but I think the Post Bac is still open, though I don't know much about that particular program. Good Luck!