Too late for top tier schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedArmyof1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here are my stats:
38Q on the MCAT 11-Verbal, 12-Physical, 15-Bio.
3.7 GPA

I have a year of research experience at UCSD, with a second author paper published. I also have 2.5 years of research at UCSF, with a possible publication. I also did some shadowing in a clinic at San Francisco General Hospital.

I'm freaking out quite bit because I didn't really understand the application process and now I think it might be too late to get into the top tier California schools. Let me know what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

No it's not too late it's still July.

Your stats and research are great, but do you have other EC's like volunteering?

No, I though I would have time to squeeze in some more EC's after I got out of college, but life had different ideas. If it counts I gave a talk at an undergraduate research conference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...okay. Have you considered the MD/PhD route. Some would argue that it's more competitive than just the MD route, but you have the stats for it and the EC's that matter to them the most is a substantive research background which you clearly have. This is of course, assuming you'd want to do it and would be okay with going to school for an extra 3-4 years.

PS: Both UCSD and UCSF have MD/PhD options.

Ha. You have a pretty good nose for this. MD/PhD program is what I'm actually shooting for and have been gearing my application towards that. The problem is I have to get into medical school first before they consider me for PhD part of it. So I'm hoping that my research and strong letters of recommendations from UC professors will be enough.

Also, Is it worth mentioning that I have help build some interesting structures at Burning Man? Particularly this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra60yLKByT or would this make them reject me really really really fast.

Last edited:
Ha. You have a pretty good nose for this. MD/PhD program is what I'm actually shooting for and have been gearing my application towards that. The problem is I have to get into medical school first before they consider me for PhD part of it. So I'm hoping that my research and strong letters of recommendations from UC professors will be enough.
:confused:
You're confused about the MD/PhD application process.

If you know that you want MD/PhD then you apply MD/PhD. If you get rejected from the MD/PhD track, then most schools will move you over to consideration for just MD.

And it is much more acceptable for a MD/PhD applicant to have heavy research and weak volunteering than a normal MD applicant

Wow I am an idiot. Thank you guys. This should have been figured out long ago.

Well at least you know now while you still have some time left to apply to them. And I'd say your chances of getting an MD/PhD acceptance are really good! :thumbup:

Thank you again. You just alleviated a whole lot of my worrying.

I can give you a fair amount of guidence if MD/PhD is what you're going for. I applied to these programs last year and therefor have done a lot of research on them. I didn't have your stats though and so they didn't give me the time of day.

Brief Outline:
When submitting your AMCAS, it will ask you what program you want to apply to. Select MD/PhD and it'll require another essay besides your PS where you have to outline what research you've done and it's significance (10,000 c. limit last year)
Most schools will consider you for the MSTP / MD/PhD program FIRST. If you're granted an interview, at most schools, this will be a dual interview for MD and PhD (and some schools even pay for your expenses!). If accepted MD and PhD you're good. If you get rejected PhD, most schools will offer you the MD acceptence only and you can always apply into the PhD half of the program once you're attending the school. If you get rejected before the interview, most schools turf your app over to the MD only pool just like the rest of us. Some schools do it backwards. First they look at you for MD. If rejected, that's the end. If invited for an interview, they'll forward your stuff to the MSTP program and htey'll look you over. And then there's the schools that are just wacky :p

Theres two types of programs. MSTP = Medical Scientist Training Program. These are NIH funded and extremely tough to get into. Everything is paid for and some give you a living stipend. MD/PhD programs are just that, you do 2 years of med school, 3-4 years for your PhD and then youre 2 clinical years. These aren't funded by NIH but may still be funded by the school. Generally you'll still pay for Med school but during your PhD you'll be a TA and get paid. All the funding stuff depends on the school.

As far as competativeness goes, I'd argue they're more competative. Yes you have less people applying but there's also very few seats. The highest matriculant number I've seen is 16 I believe at UPenn. When there's only on average say 6 seats to fill, you've got to make yourself seem like the holy grail to get one of those seats, even if only 1000 people are applying.

Any other questions feel free to ask! There's also an MD/PhD forum that can be helpful