Too Late in Semester/Year to Apply for Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaoChengRen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am currently in my 3rd year of undergrad with no research experience. I transferred to my current school after spending my first 2 years at a small liberal arts college with very limited (almost nonexistent) research opportunities. I spent the Fall semester adjusting to this new school, and I was eager to get involved in research this current semester. Due to personal circumstances, I was unable to begin applying to research assistant positions during January and early February. Now it is March, and I'm concerned that it is too late in the semester and school year to apply. What do you all think?

Should I reach out to labs as soon as possible, because waiting will only be worse, or do I wait until right before the Fall semester begins again to reach out, since the beginning of the school year is likely a more convenient time?
I'm just concerned that if I wait until I'm a senior that it will be hard to find a position because there are only 2 semesters left that I could be committed, and I might not seem worth the time to train. On the other hand, it is already the middle of the Spring semester, so I wouldn't want me asking at an inconvenient time of year to affect my chances of getting into a lab. What do you think I should do?

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your plans for the summer? If you don't have any, it would be a great idea to spend it doing research full time at a lab. Labs will also be much more willing to take you if you are able to commit to the summer.

What are your plans for the summer? If you don't have any, it would be a great idea to spend it doing research full time at a lab. Labs will also be much more willing to take you if you are able to commit to the summer.

I would love to do research over the summer, but this summer I'm going to be studying for and taking the MCAT. I'm going to try to limit my other summer activities to a few times a week so the MCAT is my top priority, so full time research would not be ideal.