Too late to add a few more MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tradewinds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Paranoia is sinking in and I am wondering if it would be reasonable to add a few more schools at this point in the game or is that a total waste of money? (I have 14 MD thus far and am also applying to some DO schools)

Already applied to all my state schools (MI) and would be adding 'low tier' schools that have a reasonable OOS acceptance numbers and/or focus on surrounding states/or mission specific fit.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Paranoia is sinking in and I am wondering if it would be reasonable to add a few more schools at this point in the game or is that a total waste of money? (I have 14 MD thus far and am also applying to some DO schools)

Already applied to all my state schools (MI) and would be adding 'low tier' schools that have a reasonable OOS acceptance numbers and/or focus on surrounding states/or mission specific fit.

Thanks for any input.
If they are well-chosen 14 should be plenty. Since you are already verified, there is still time, though.

Reactions: 3 users
The question is:
Too late to add a few more MD schools?

The answer is: No.

It is never "too late" until it is after the deadline for that specific part of your application. Depending on the specific school, the closer you submit to this date has a drastically different impact on your viability as an applicant. Some schools, there is no ill-effect of applying into November (true non-rolling), whereas others it would make you essentially rejected pre-review (fast-rolling, e.g. Mayo). Most schools are nearer to "fast-rolling" than non-rolling, and very few schools are "true non-rolling."

Whether it is "a waste of money" is entirely up to individual circumstances and personal choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't care about the cost or possibility of being looked at as a reapplicant at the other schools in case you have to reapply then just go for it.

Does reapplying hurt you in anyway? I'm one and I hope it doesn't affect me too badly :(

Does reapplying hurt you in anyway? I'm one and I hope it doesn't affect me too badly :(

Depends on the school. Most schools would say it's not beneficial, others would say it either has no impact or actually is beneficial.

Either way, there are so many schools you're eligible to apply for you could potentially avoid reapplicant schools altogether for several cycles if that was your desire.

Other than the top twenty MD schools this process is very much like a lottery. The wild and crazy scramble after May 15th even more so. How do you win a lottery? Buy more tickets. Go for it!