too late to add more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yolo1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it is too late to add more schools to apply to right now?

I applied to 12+ but I am thinking about adding another 5-7 to increase my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Its definitely getting pretty late in the cycle, but if money is of no real object to you, its definitely a case of better safe than sorry.

Do you think it is too late to add more schools to apply to right now?

I applied to 12+ but I am thinking about adding another 5-7 to increase my chances.

Just yolo it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Coming in before people tell you it's too late. My friend (with average stats...nothing above average) applied to 5 schools at the end of NOVEMBER and still received 2 interviews. Post-December, of course.

Can't quite remember which 5 schools but I know one of the interviews were to UNLV. She's currently in dental school. It's anecdotal evidence but probably better than the advice you will receive from all the pre-dentals not yet in dental school and convinced all hope is lost.

I'd do a bit of research before picking those extra schools to apply to (such as...are most of their spots filled by December?) but otherwise IT'S NOT TOO LATE. If you have the money for it, do whatever makes you comfortable/more at ease.

Reactions: 2 users
Of course! It's VERY easy to get discouraged by some members on SDN. Just make sure to take into account what their view point is. Are they currently in dental school or are they just certified SDN lurkers?

Some more anecdotal evidence, I have a friend who is VERY MUCH above average and received 5 interviews already (probably will receive one to every school she applies to)...At her UOP interview she asked if most of the spots were filled up by December 1st and they said something along the lines of "Absolutely not, most of the spots fill up AFTER December."

The deadlines for some schools have already passed, so it's too late for those. But everything else, go for it! People here (including me) just like to have everything done early for a hopeful Dec 1 acceptance which gives peace of mind. Good luck!!

Do itttttt...if you got money to shovel out and time to write Supplemental Applications. I applied to 15 and only interviewed at one, so it's scary not having multiple pre-December interviews.

Do itttttt...if you got money to shovel out and time to write Supplemental Applications. I applied to 15 and only interviewed at one, so it's scary not having multiple pre-December interviews.

How did you only get 1 interview with your stats?

How did you only get 1 interview with your stats?
My thoughts exactly. I applied 7/9. Processed early August. 7th batch?
Supplementals finished August/September. What do you make of it? Schools are so super slow.

My thoughts exactly. I applied 7/9. Processed early August. 7th batch?
Supplementals finished August/September. What do you make of it? Schools are so super slow.

That's really odd. Which schools did you apply to?

Last edited:
UCLA, UCSF, UoP, USC, Western
UPENN, Pitt, Harvard, Temple, Tufts
NYU, Columbia, Rutgers
VCU, UMD

i guess your interview is at NYU correct?

just try to be patient with the process I guess. your list has a lot of hypercompetitive schools though.

i guess your interview is at NYU correct?

just try to be patient with the process I guess. your list has a lot of hypercompetitive schools though.

Darknight, I interviewed at VCU 9/11. Patience to me means getting drunk/passing out til an owl delivers an acceptance letter from Hogwarts Dental School.

No rejections Frank. Not yet.

I see. So you applied to a lot of extremely competitive schools and your application was processed in early August. You haven't received rejections, which means you're still likely to get more interviews. I think there is little chance of getting into Harvard without research, by the way.

I feel schools are going super slow this year compared to last year in getting interviews out....either that or a lot of their interviews are going to non-SDN users....maybe during the academic update I can incorporate my SDN activity in my Dental Application. Or maybe I can reach out to schools and let them know I am staying actively involved in the dental community and have received many likes so they should probably give me an interview since I am a hot commodity.

Reactions: 1 users