Too Late to Apply for Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brian Fujioka

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently decided to attend Touro for my osteopathic education. The Naval scholarship seems very attractive yet my attempts to contact the recruiters in San Fransisco have been in vain. They must not listen to their voice mail. My local recruiter has not been much help either. Although I will be meeting with him on July 5th, he has made it sound like the application process is over. Unfortunately his unsure tone and lack of confidence in his answers makes me wonder if the advice he gave me was correct. Does anyone have any advice they can lend me?

Members don't see this ad.

Brian,

Apply, Apply, Apply--it's never too late(especially with the Navy). I applied early May and got the 4 year scholarship. I'm shocked that the recruiter isn't taking more interest considering that he gets commision and that the Navy is in dire need of docs. Does the recruiter know that you have been accepted? I would drive down to the office ASAP and get your papers started(but they probably won't be in until Wed.-4th of July weekend).

Even if you don't get the 4-year you still have a shot at the 3 year. Good luck.

Liljoe

Brian:

Apply NOW!!!! That is, if you really want it. Go into the NRRC with everything, i.e. transcripts, anything medical, etc. etc. This will expedite things.

I'm a 4 yr. HPSP recipient. Any questions, just ask. [email protected]

Good Luck! Beth

Members don't see this ad :)
Hei, what about the physical requirements (esp. the swimming part)? DO you have to pass them before they accept you, and how do they asess you? This is a tad embarassing, but my swimming abilities are not exactly to par with what they want. Will they still look at my apps?

About the swimming:

They do not test you before accepting you to the program.

However, you have to be able to 1) jump off a 5-6 ft tower into 12ft of water and swim to the side (w/ and w/out a life vest)
2)Swim ~50 meters w/ no time limit.
3) Do a deadman's float (face down, treading water for 5min.

the other part is drownproofing:
Life vest assembly
Clothes floatation.

They WILL work with you while at OIS. I knew a girl who couldn't swim at all at the beginning of the six weeks. It took her two times, but she passed! I was VERY proud of her.

Girl? Heheh, I bet the sarges will have fun w/ a dude that cant hardly swim. I guess I'll be their b**ch for the summer.

Humor aside, thanks for the reply. Worried there for a minute.