too late to apply for armed forces scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephie3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i will be starting dental school next year. is it too late to apply for the armed forces scholarhip thing where they pay for your schooling in exchange for a contract with them?

Members don't see this ad.

i will be starting dental school next year. is it too late to apply for the armed forces scholarhip thing where they pay for your schooling in exchange for a contract with them?

no I think you can pretty much sell your soul to them at any point in dental school.

good luck with that!!!

I doubt it because when I received my acceptance letter from one school they also included a separate form with the military recruiters contact information. The form indicated that if I was willing to apply then I should do so around the time that I accepted the schools admission offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
no I think you can pretty much sell your soul to them at any point in dental school.

good luck with that!!!

Lol yeah Mephistopheles (the recruiter) is always present with that sweet guarantee of money in exchange for owning your life.

If you think you might want to do the military scholarship, then you need to start tracking on that stuff now. You can do it later, but that scholarship is not retroactive and it takes a few months for the entire process to go through the motions. So if you started school and then decided that you wanted to do the scholarship, then you would probably only get a three year scholarship. If you want a four year, then you gotta get the ball rolling soon.

I am on the scholarship and I love it. Then again I was already in the military and enjoy the life. There will be no shortage of clowns who joke about the military because they really know nothing about it. Recruiters aren't the sheisters that people make them out to be, especially the medical guys. In my experience they have been straight shooters and good dudes. They know what they are talking about and will be indispensable in getting your scholarship packet ready. If you need any more info you can PM me or check the military dentistry threads.

I contacted the AF recruiter, and there are few spots left. However, the Navy and Army have openings, so I'll end up, most likely, applying for the Navy scholarship.

I contacted the AF recruiter, and there are few spots left. However, the Navy and Army have openings, so I'll end up, most likely, applying for the Navy scholarship.

Do you know if we can apply to both Navy and AF?

It looks like I am going to apply for the 3 year scholarship since I am just applying for my citizenship now, I'm not sure if I can be part of that pool as a permanent resident status. :confused:

The last of the AF scholarships go up for review in January and will be awarded at the end of the month. I was told there was about 17 left. The Navy didn't really say how many were left but that I will be notified in the next few months.

I'd say go for the three year scholarship. You probably won't get through the application process in time for the AF at least. Army maybe - I just got a pamphlet in the mail for their scholarship.

Ive been applying for the Navy HPSP since the summer and still I have things to complete ... the process is very intensive and requires a lot of work ... papers, security forms, physicals, additional consults, on and on ...