Too late to apply for August aways?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Javvy18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I became interested in radiation oncology a little late in the game, and was wondering if it was too late to apply for an away rotation at a top-tier program for August. Is it worth it to contact the programs directly and ask if there is still availability?

Also, I noticed that UCSF wants two letters of recommendation for their away elective application. Since I have not done a rad onc rotation, I would have no one to write a letter for me. Are letters from non-rad oncs acceptable?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is too late and definitely worth checking with programs to see. Generally try to contact the program secretary rather than the PD as that is the person who will probably know and be able to help you apply.

Some programs may be full but a polite email isn't a major time investment and I don't think anyone is going to hold it against you so might as well try. You never know when someone may have just canceled.

Last edited:
From my experience I'd say most likely for some, with the caveat that some programs don't have their program open for apps till Mayish so you might as well try. Maybe MSKCC is filled but top tier places like Wash U I remember had plenty of openings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from VSAS schools about August/September slots?

Has anyone heard back from VSAS schools about August/September slots?
Yes, I have - about two weeks ago; accepted. Shoot the secretary an email - you are not on the top of their priority list.