Too late to apply for fall 2011?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinablue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
long story short, i was a pre-med student hoping to go into psychiatry..just like my sister and mother. I have recently had a huge change of heart, and know that clinical psychology is the path for me (after doing research and weighing the pros and cons). I always felt that the lower pay compared to the MD/DO route was a huge con, but the more i think about it the more i realize that i want to do something that i really feel passionate about.
so anyways,
I have taken the mcat, but have never taken the GRE.
I have taken 1 psych class, nothing more.
I have been a patient of a psychologist for several months if that means anything..(i think it does, ofcourse its not like shadowing but it sort of is).

Most programs have deadlines in Jan...i have only seen one program that had a deadline in July but forgot which school it was.

I wanted to take classes at the harvard extenssion program which has several great psych classes.
Is there any way at all that I can take classes this spring, and the GRE, and get into a PsyD program in the fall....Or even in the jan of 2012??

please dont ask if i really want to do clinical psych..the last time i posted people kept questioning how serious i was and if i knew what i really wanted...i want to do it :D so please dont discourage me. I just want to know how i can started the fastest way possible.
thank you so much

BTW, i just gradated from the University of north carolina as a pre-med and media studies major.

Members don't see this ad.

Without even getting to the issue of whether clinical psych is the best match for you, this seems very rushed. There are some things to seriously consider:

1. Why PsyD and not PhD?

2. You will need more than 1 psych class as a prereq. This will likely require more than one semester of coursework. Have you taken undergrad stats?

3. What experience do you have outside of personal experience in therapy? This is not like med school where you have to demonstrate "extracurricular" activities. Grad school wants to see meaningful experience in the field. For a PhD, this is largely reflected in significant experience conducting psychology research. For a PsyD, research experience might matter less - but I think you will still need to demonstrate some kind of practical experience (work in a group home, suicide hotline, camp for kids with special needs, what have you). Your personal experience as a therapy patient will have no bearing on your application.

4. What's your rush?

University-based Psy.D. programs will require research experience if you want to even be in the running for an interview. It is frustrating to keep reading that "oh, you don't need much/any research experience" to apply for a Psy.D. I'm not saying that is what you meant LM02, but it is a very common response when people are discussing Ph.D. v. Psy.D. application options.

As a Psy.D. graduate from a middle of the road university-based program, you'll need research experience to get an interview. I applied with 2+ years of research experience, solid GPA, and an average GRE and didn't get an offer from Rutgers or Baylor.

You don't need to put in 3-4 years of research, but it is unrealistic to think you'll be able to compete against other applicants that have 6-10+ psych classes, research experience, LOR from professors they worked with during throughout their undergraduate years, etc. I'm not saying this to dissuade you, but if you want to get into a halfway decent program, 2013 is more realistic. LOR writers will want at least 6-12 months of working with you before they will want to "vouch" for your abilities.

You'll need to secure a spot doing research very quickly, put in 6-9 months and then consult with your research mentor and see if they think you'd be a viable candidate. Fair warning, many research labs will ask for a 2 year commitment because they don't want to commit to training a research assistant, only to have them jump ship <8-10 months later.

The application cycle is generally apply by Dec, interview in Jan-March, and the vast majority of students have secured a spot by April 15th. Some students can find a spot here or there after April 15th (voluntary notification deadline for the majority of programs), but it is very hit and miss.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is too late for you to produce a competitive application: You can apply, but you'll likely be $50 poorer.

It usually takes about a month to get your GRE AW graded and returned to you, so its doubtful it will reach your target school by January. If you have minimal psychology experience you will also need to take the psychology GRE, which is offered only a few times a year as a paper and pencil test. Most applicants whose undergraduate major was not in psychology or (cognitive) neuroscience will have an MA in psychology or meaningful work experience in the field.

I have been considering medical school on and off for the past month or so myself... and I was very surprised at how different the process is from clinical psychology and other scientific doctoral programs. The only real commonality is that both want a strong GPA. As LM02 said, medical schools want more clinical experience and interesting ECs, while psychology programs want more research and specific engagement with the field.

University-based Psy.D. programs will require research experience if you want to even be in the running for an interview. It is frustrating to keep reading that "oh, you don't need much/any research experience" to apply for a Psy.D. I'm not saying that is what you meant LM02, but it is a very common response when people are discussing Ph.D. v. Psy.D. application options.

Thanks. This is why I wrote "might matter less" -- I honestly know less about what it takes to get into a PsyD program, as I come from a very research-heavy clinical PhD background (which is true for my current environment, too).

OP - I think T4C tacitly brings up another valid point, which is that there is a lot of variability in PsyD programs. There are university-based programs, free-standing schools, etc. - some who will provide funding and some who will not. You need to really take time to educate yourself about your choices.

I agree with the above. You seem to be in a very big hurry to get in, and be sorely lacking in the credentials to be a competitive candidate even at lower tier schools. That is a bad combination.

I would really, REALLY encourage you to consider taking more time off. It is better to wait a year or two before applying and do things right then set yourself on the wrong path for the rest of your life by really half-assing it and going wherever you can get in, taking on a huge amount of unnecessary debt while simultaneously making yourself less competitive for higher-paying jobs, etc.

Your experience as a patient is something that can and should be valuable to you, but it does not help with admissions. In fact, I would generally recommend you not even mention this in your applications. Do some coursework...research methods, stats, and abnormal psych are probably the top 3 pre-reqs that schools want to see. Some are pickier about pre-reqs than others. More coursework won't hurt, but if you get those three I think you are probably okay.

You obviously need to take the general GRE and as others said, I would probably recommend the psych GRE as well.

Get involved in research asap. Without any research experience you are unlikely to even get an interview anywhere, regardless of what your other statistics are like. I think the average accepted student has anywhere from 2-4 years of research experience. Some have even more, but few have less.

You may want to consider a master's first, but I don't know that it is strictly necessary. Recognize that this is unlikely to reduce the amount of time in your doctorate by any significant margin. However, it can make you more competitive by demonstrating your commitment to the field, and getting you some experience that you can use in the application process.

I would consider doing a post-baccalaureate program in psychology. These programs are 1-2 years and provide both the coursework and research experience you need to be a competitive candidate. You can't rush that.

i read that the college of psychology in chicago has deadlines in July.
I can take 5 psych classes and the gre by then.

I also have been published three times in anesthesia researches.
I also was involved with a research that basically is related to psych in a way. we would play a recording in the ears of patients while there were sleeping after getting surgery to see if they would still have nausea after waking up.

anyways, the school in chicago i found has deadlines in July..
http://www.thechicagoschool.edu/content.cfm/deadlines

im saying that by july i can get a total of 18 psych class credits and have the gre taken. I dont think i would need alot of research but i guess from what everyone here is saying, i would need to do that for a good 6 months.

the reason why i want to rush is because i graduated in may 2010, and being out of school makes me feel like a complete bum. i actually realize now how much i enjoy being in school, and dont want to spend another year not in a program.

i read that the college of psychology in chicago has deadlines in July.
I can take 5 psych classes and the gre by then.

I also have been published three times in anesthesia researches.
I also was involved with a research that basically is related to psych in a way. we would play a recording in the ears of patients while there were sleeping after getting surgery to see if they would still have nausea after waking up.

anyways, the school in chicago i found has deadlines in July..
http://www.thechicagoschool.edu/content.cfm/deadlines

im saying that by july i can get a total of 18 psych class credits and have the gre taken. I dont think i would need alot of research but i guess from what everyone here is saying, i would need to do that for a good 6 months.

the reason why i want to rush is because i graduated in may 2010, and being out of school makes me feel like a complete bum. i actually realize now how much i enjoy being in school, and dont want to spend another year not in a program.

You may want to check on the reputation of the school that you mentioned (feel free to browse the forums for numerous threads).

The reason why you want to rush into a program isn’t really a wise one, especially since you will be looking into committing to a program for nearly half a decade based on such a quick career change. Why not get a job so you can be productive, while preparing for your applications?

i come from a background where school name and rep isnt that important. when you apply to medical school, you go wherever you get accepted. you go to a residency spot, and location isnt all that important either...at least in my family.
and thanks for you advice on getting a job, but like i said in my first post...please don't judge me or my intensions...i already know what im getting into..i just need to know the fastest way i can do it. i have my own reasons that dont need to be explained...all that needs to be known is that i dont want to spend another year and start in the fall of 2012

i come from a background where school name and rep isnt that important. when you apply to medical school, you go wherever you get accepted. you go to a residency spot, and location isnt all that important either...at least in my family.
and thanks for you advice on getting a job, but like i said in my first post...please don't judge me or my intensions...i already know what im getting into..i just need to know the fastest way i can do it. i have my own reasons that dont need to be explained...all that needs to be known is that i dont want to spend another year and start in the fall of 2012

lol Well, if you are that eager to get into a program as soon as possible, I’m sure if you can get into bottom-tier program or non-competitive professional school with a few psychology course, little research experience, and little clinical experience. There are a few professional schools that come to mind – again, research the forum.

You and your family may not care about the name and rep of the school you choose, but employers will. The demand for psychologists is not equal to the demand for psychiatrists. Because of this, you can graduate from an accredited program and still struggle to find employment that pays even a marginally respectable amount. Make sure to ask yourself whether starting a program in 2011 is worth 100K or more of debt to you. If you take your time to build a stronger application, you can avoid acquiring any debt or greatly reduce that amount.

Last edited:
it doesn't really sound as if you want anyone's advice here. You've made the decision to apply for Fall 2011 programs, regardless of what we tell you. Whether you will get into anything other than one of those mass production Psy.D. schools is doubtful (and maybe not even them), but it also doesn't sound as if you care about the quality of your education. I don't understand why, if you really want to become a clinical psychologist, you would be willing to spend years of your life and thousands of dollars on a sub-par education which will provide you with little chance of succeeding in any measurable way within the field. If you really cared about your ability to succeed as a clinical psychologist, you would be willing to spend the extra year to shore up your credentials so that you can get into the best school possible. Not wanting to be out of school is not a valid reason for entering a graduate program and will likely lead to you being miserable within it. I seriously suggest you reconsider your motivations for wanting to apply this year (and, no, I'm not questioning your desire to become a psychologist, just your timeline).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, carolinablue. Given your past interest in medical school, I think there might be some mental health career options that you're discounting (you REALLY don't want to be 100k in debt by going to a "factory-PsyD" program where they churn out these degrees. Plus in this economy...). Have you thought about Physicians Assistant (PA) programs? This is a masters program that generally contains a year of course work and then a year of rotations. PA's work under the direction of a medical doctor but can, depending on the state, write prescriptions and do most everything that a doctor can do (without having their name on any law suits!). PA's can also specialize to a certain degree (e.g., work in a dermatologist office). Perhaps something like a PA in a psychiatric setting would be of interest to you. OR there is also a Psychiatric Nurse Practioner which is a registered nurse that provides psychiatric care (e.g., assessment, diagnosis, treatment). Hopefully these career choices open up a few more possibilities for you. Try and do some research into careers, job outlook, years of schooling, grad school app requirements and see for yourself what will combine all of your interests. Hope this helps!

This may fall on deaf ears, and I'm trying to be diplomatic here. But this is a career decision that is likely to put you in significant financial debt, with prospects such that you will have a long road toward paying this off. Yes, that is a fast and easy option, but you are not positioning yourself wisely. There are other options that will allow you to reach your goal of becoming a psycholgist without the high burden of debt and the problems you will encounter finding employment from a low-tier school.

I went to one of the most competitive universities in the US. And yes it was hard to graduate and see my friends go off to the best med/law schools in the country, high paying investment banking jobs, etc., all the while I took 2 (gasp!) years to complete a low paying research assistant position in order to position myself for clinical psych grad school. I'm now a professor at a major academic medical center, loving my job, and having a lot of my friends (especially the lawyer ones!) tell me that they hate their jobs and that they rushed into them because they didn't want to be out of school...

Get a job, enjoy your hobbies, live life. School will still be there 1 or 2 years from now! Seriously.

and also...i know it sounds dumb, but being 23 i dont want to start a psyD program when im 25...be done when im 30...start making a stable salary when im 33...i know numbers dont matter, but i have to be realistic when it comes to supporting my wife and what not you know?
To be honest, i come from a medical family...everyone in my family (mom, dad, bro, sis) are all doctors. it doesnt matter what medical school you go to, as a doctor you will always get a job. does getting into a top tier psyd program will matter?
I went to UNC-Chapel Hill for undergrad, its considered one of the nations best public universities...i loved it, and i really think i got a good education while being here. but i would never really look down upon someone else who went to a school that isn't as reputable.

LM02, for some reason lawyers are always the ones telling me to never do law! usually when they hit 35 or so they really start getting bored i suppose.

gr...:(..i was getting so exited about the idea of starting a psyd program in the fall...aug 2012 seems like a lifetime away...

and also...i know it sounds dumb, but being 23 i dont want to start a psyD program when im 25...be done when im 30...start making a stable salary when im 33...i know numbers dont matter, but i have to be realistic when it comes to supporting my wife and what not you know?
To be honest, i come from a medical family...everyone in my family (mom, dad, bro, sis) are all doctors. it doesnt matter what medical school you go to, as a doctor you will always get a job. does getting into a top tier psyd program will matter?
I went to UNC-Chapel Hill for undergrad, its considered one of the nations best public universities...i loved it, and i really think i got a good education while being here. but i would never really look down upon someone else who went to a school that isn't as reputable.

LM02, for some reason lawyers are always the ones telling me to never do law! usually when they hit 35 or so they really start getting bored i suppose.

gr...:(..i was getting so exited about the idea of starting a psyd program in the fall...aug 2012 seems like a lifetime away...

I am surprised at how diplomatic everybody is being. I'm going to lay it out pretty simple. The university that you go to for your doctorate matters. It is very different from medical school, and the demand for psychologists is not as high as MDs. If you go to a respected, university-based APA accredited program, you have a pretty good chance of coming out and securing an internship. However, it seems that internships are becoming more and more competitive. You CANNOT become a licensed psychologist without completing a pre-doctoral internship. Look at the match rates for some of the professional PsyD programs. They can be as low as 15%. This means that 85% of students are not securing internship spots. At this point, they must waste another year re-applying to internships. Even if you do get an internship and become licensed, you will not be as competitive for a good job as somebody who went to a respected university-based program. Part of the problem with the professional schools is the lack of research experience. Part of being a psychologist (yes, even a PsyD) is being well versed in research. You will be putting yourself at a huge disadvantage in the job market. I think that if you attempt to go down the road that you are planning, you will be making a huge mistake.

university programs are extremely difficult to get into. i was looking at the UNC website, apparently they get about 200 applicants for about 6 spots..........****

university programs are extremely difficult to get into. i was looking at the UNC website, apparently they get about 200 applicants for about 6 spots..........****

exactly. my top program (university based PsyD) actually gets over 500 applications per year. and takes about 20, from what ive heard. Most PsyD programs actually take around 20, and do get hundreds of applications. Well, I am sure that you could probably get into one of the PsyD degree mills. Where they take aprox 50-100 applications per year. The classes are large, and theres not much individual attention. You won't get much research experience. As a result, you may not get an internship. At that point, you will have to take a year off to re-apply, while not having an income. You will probably end up with a job making $50,000/year if you're lucky.

exactly. my top program (university based PsyD) actually gets over 500 applications per year. and takes about 20, from what ive heard. Most PsyD programs actually take around 20, and do get hundreds of applications. Well, I am sure that you could probably get into one of the PsyD degree mills. Where they take aprox 50-100 applications per year. The classes are large, and theres not much individual attention. You won't get much research experience. As a result, you may not get an internship. At that point, you will have to take a year off to re-apply, while not having an income. You will probably end up with a job making $50,000/year if you're lucky.

good lord....how the hell...i could be applying for years before i get into a program at a university...and what do you mean ill be making 50k a year? all my research indicates that a psyd averages 70k a year (although starting out salaries avg at 40-50).

Yeah.....that's kind of the point we have all been trying to make. If you want to get into a good school (which is necessary to get an internship, which is necessary to start practicing....etc.), you really need to have a strong application. Otherwise, you won't get in anywhere. That is why people are encouraging you to take a year off and shore up your credentials with research and classes.

However, I would like to point out that the program you referenced is a Ph.D. program, not a Psy.D. program, which are notoriously more competitive. For a good Psy.D. program I would suggest looking into Baylor or Rutgers-both of those programs have a good reputation and strong internship match rates. There are, of course, many others, but those two would be at the top of my list. But you still won't get into either of those programs with your current stats.

Yes, it will matter for several reasons...

1. It may be a difference between going into six figures of debt vs. no or minimal debt.

2. Unlike physicians, you will not "always get a job" as a psychologist.

3. And even if you do get a job, it will pay nowhere near as high as a physician (particularly when you first start out) to pay back the huge debt you've incurred.

So suddenly, supporting your family will be harder - not easier. If you put in the time and effort to make yourself competitive for a strong, funded program, you will be better off graduating 2 years later without a mortgage-sized debt than 2 years earlier with one.

I know 33 sounds old to you now (it's not!), but it is not unusual in our field for students to start grad school later for the very reasons we are discussing. In my cohort, there were 2 students who were already 30 when they entered the program!

And yes, I went to one of those fully funded PhD programs who take 4 students from over 200 applications.

sigh.....you know i have a great amount of respect for psychologists...you guys are so well educated yet so incredibly underpaid. i find the fact that you guys chose this path knowing the pay compared to lawyers/doctors to be very noble.

sigh.....you know i have a great amount of respect for psychologists...you guys are so well educated yet so incredibly underpaid. i find the fact that you guys chose this path knowing the pay compared to lawyers/doctors to be very noble.

It's not as bad as it sounds if you do it *wisely.* $80K salary per year with no debt for a psychologist coming from a fully funded program isn't so bad in comparison to a psychiatrist making $150K per year with $200K in loans...

But going to a lower tier, unfunded program will likely mean that you're making something like $50K per year with close to the same debt as physicians. Now that is just bad math!

Also keep in mind that the path you seem to be set on taking is one that will likely place you well BELOW the average salary. While there are certainly people coming out of all kinds of schools that do well, chances are if you aim as low as possible for your graduate school, you are unlikely to suddenly be on the same level as everyone else come graduation. These are the folks you frequently hear taking positions that are meant for master's level folks, taking UNPAID post-docs just to try and get hours for licensure, etc. There's a reason those schools are generally not well respected.

You can earn decent money long-term, but I think the practitioners that are doing "best" right now are those in private practice and/or working a combination of different jobs. I haven't ran the numbers since it isn't a path I'm looking to go, but starting a private practice probably means additional debt and/or a year or so in the red to get yourself going - if it is even realistic right out of grad school. Combine this with at least 150-200k debt from grad school, plus anything you have from undergrad, plus the possibility of unpaid/low-paying internship, post-doc, etc. Working a number of different jobs requires a diverse skillset...something you probably CAN obtain anywhere, but I bet it is a hell of a lot easier at a better school.

Relative to someone who is 2 years older, but free & clear debt-wise and probably earning at least as much, but likely more money...who do you think would be better equipped to provide for a family? I can tell you this...you don't pay off that kind of debt in 2 years. You probably don't pay it off in 10 years.

Please understand that no one here is trying to be discouraging. However, everything you are saying indicates that you are about to make some very bad decisions, and do so for very bad reasons. We're urging some caution, because although you may have settled on going into psychology, it sounds like you are really not aware of what you are walking into. Its a great field, I'm quite happy with my decision to pursue it. I also knew exactly what I was getting into, and was willing to take the time to do it right and make sure I did something that was right for me both short and long term. I don't know what kind of family pressure you have, but if they are the ones telling you to go in immediately, tell them fine, but they have to pay for it;) This is not about prestige, this is about making sure you know exactly what you are getting into and are fully prepared for all aspects (financial, educational, etc.).

It seems to me that your reasoning is very short-sighted. I strongly encourage you to take a year to position yourself for a better future, rather than try to rush everything and get into whatever program MIGHT (or might not) accept you; while the Chicago School has higher acceptance rates than more competitive programs, they still accept fewer than 30% of applicants. Medical school and doctoral programs in clinical psychology are not the same, nor are job opportunities for MDs and psychologists. Please listen to what everyone here is saying.

As of 2007 (most recent detailed stats I could find), while the Chicago School has good APPIC internship match rates, their match rate for APA-accredited internships is low (49%). Not matching at an APA-accredited internship can definitely limit your future career options.

I agree with all of the other points above, EXCEPT that not all good university Ph.D. programs will fund your entire education (it's not uncommon for students earlier on in programs to be prioritized for funding), plus if you live in an area with a very high cost of living, you will probably have to take out loans anyway. I was funded fully for my first two years, but still had to take out more than $100,000 in loans.

As others have already said, and as you seem to have begun understanding--doctoral programs in psychology are not all created equal as is the case with med school (to an extent). I come from a medical family myself, so I'm fully-versed in the mindset of "what do they call a graduate of the worst medical school in the country? Doctor." Psychology is in no way similar to this. Where you go to school WILL matter, both in the short-term with respect to securing a pre-doctoral internship, and in the long-term regarding adequate networking and employment prospects.

As much as you may not want to, you really do need to slow yourself down for a minute and consider what is the BEST path, which will likely differ significantly from what is the quickest path. The extra one or two years spent in strengthening your application and finding a program that best fits you will save you significant headache and heartache in the long run.

It seems to me that your reasoning is very short-sighted. I strongly encourage you to take a year to position yourself for a better future, rather than try to rush everything and get into whatever program MIGHT (or might not) accept you; while the Chicago School has higher acceptance rates than more competitive programs, they still accept fewer than 30% of applicants. Medical school and doctoral programs in clinical psychology are not the same, nor are job opportunities for MDs and psychologists. Please listen to what everyone here is saying.

As of 2007 (most recent detailed stats I could find), while the Chicago School has good APPIC internship match rates, their match rate for APA-accredited internships is low (49%). Not matching at an APA-accredited internship can definitely limit your future career options.

I agree with all of the other points above, EXCEPT that not all good university Ph.D. programs will fund your entire education (it's not uncommon for students earlier on in programs to be prioritized for funding), plus if you live in an area with a very high cost of living, you will probably have to take out loans anyway. I was funded fully for my first two years, but still had to take out more than $100,000 in loans.

This last point is VERY true and important. Even with funding, many people (myself and fellow students in my program included) take out loans while in grad school. If some of us with tuition reimbursement and stipends are leaving with some amount of debt, imagine how much worse it would be in a non-funded program. You would very likely end up with medical school-like loan totals while on a psychologist's pay scale.

Pardon my long-winded response, but I think it is really important for prospective applicants to understand how this all works.

This forum was not around when I was applying to graduate school, and asking my mentors (all of whom were 25-30+ years out of school) didn't yield much useful information because a lot has changed in that time period. Frankly, a lot has changed since *I* applied. The match went electronic, states are changing their post-doc requirements, APA had groups break off and start their own organizations, etc. There are many things an applicant really needs to understand before they commit the next 6-8 years of their life to training.

Because of the competitiveness of doctoral programs in psychology, many people get to the point where they just want to get in SOMEWHERE, and they don't understand that a poor choice can really effect their career. Unfortunately some programs leverage the "somewhere" part and students don't want to take another year off so they enroll in a program that may or may not be a good fit for them because they are tired of being rejected elsewhere.

I went to one of the most competitive universities in the US. And yes it was hard to graduate and see my friends go off to the best med/law schools in the country, high paying investment banking jobs, etc., all the while I took 2 (gasp!) years to complete a low paying research assistant position in order to position myself for clinical psych grad school. I'm now a professor at a major academic medical center, loving my job, and having a lot of my friends (especially the lawyer ones!) tell me that they hate their jobs and that they rushed into them because they didn't want to be out of school...

I have had the exact same experience. There is something to be said for being happy with what you do, and many of my friends who are lawyers, investment bankers, consultants, etc are stuck in their careers because of debt and lifestyle choices. I left that rat race and joined the academic one, where the money may not be as good to start, but a motivated person from an at least average program can still make $100k-$150k/yr without having to work 60-70+ hr weeks. It rarely will even out on the money end because of "lost" wages during training, but the satisfaction end often makes up for that.

It absolutely matters. The "Match" (the process that places psychology graduate students into internship) is getting more and more competitive because 800+ applicants fail to match each year. The unmatched applicants are disproportionately from a handful of programs, but quality applicants still get pinched. The less roadblocks you put in your way, the better off you will be.

I know 30+ sounds old, but when you put in 4-5+ years of classes (5 is the average I last saw), 1 year of internship, and 1-2 years for post-doc/fellowship, you are going to spend the better part of a decade in school.

Where you go to school WILL matter, both in the short-term with respect to securing a pre-doctoral internship, and in the long-term regarding adequate networking and employment prospects.

The farther out from school I get, the more I realize the above point. I look at my mentors and they are still connected to their mentors. My network of colleagues started from my cohort and now extends out to people I've met at each training stop. My mentors in my program helped me get an internship, then my internship mentors helped me get a fellowship, and now my fellowship mentors will help me land my first "real" job.

Just like high school, every niche has their own hierarchy, and you don't want to be on the outside looking in. It isn't as elitist as law school or business school, where you are essentially "tracked" into different level firms/companies based on the ranking/reputation of your program....but psychology isn't that far off. While the name on your diploma will matter less as each year goes by, the early years can be quite impactful on your trajectory.

Last edited:
wow....the advise you guys have given me is overwhelming and extremely helpful. It is clear that I have much to learn, not only about the field of practicing and becoming a clinical psychologist, but also what it means to be patient and make the best decision for the long run.

what about starting a masters program in the fall next year? i know there are dozens of threads regarding the path of doing a masters before a psyd. I have read that for some the experiences obtained in getting a masters really helps to mature and also to prepare for a psyd, although it might not actually benefit much in making one a more competitive applicant to a top notch program. But since you guys know my background already, perhaps I could get advice for me personally. Would it matter where I got my masters (if this is a good choice)? I love school, I have realized that being out of class leaves me feeling incredibly bored.
What about just being in a masters program for a year and then applying to a psyd program? Some people join a mph and apply to med school before finishing the 2nd year. Ofcourse the masters school doesnt like this, but people gotta do whats best for their own goals in my opinion.

I have always wanted to live in miami. There is masters program i found at Barry University. I never heard of the school before, but if my goal in the long run is to join a psyd program I dont think the name of a masters program holds much weight right?

I would rather be in a masters program for a year then be out of school completely....that is ofcourse if i even get accepted into a masters program lol.

edit* also, on a side note...i am blessed to come from a well off family that values education, so my education will be payed for. i dont have to worry about acquiring any debts (with god's blessings ofcourse).

Last edited:
wow....the advise you guys have given me is overwhelming and extremely helpful. It is clear that I have much to learn, not only about the field of practicing and becoming a clinical psychologist, but also what it means to be patient and make the best decision for the long run.

what about starting a masters program in the fall next year? i know there are dozens of threads regarding the path of doing a masters before a psyd. I have read that for some the experiences obtained in getting a masters really helps to mature and also to prepare for a psyd, although it might not actually benefit much in making one a more competitive applicant to a top notch program. But since you guys know my background already, perhaps I could get advice for me personally. Would it matter where I got my masters (if this is a good choice)? I love school, I have realized that being out of class leaves me feeling incredibly bored.
What about just being in a masters program for a year and then applying to a psyd program? Some people join a mph and apply to med school before finishing the 2nd year. Ofcourse the masters school doesnt like this, but people gotta do whats best for their own goals in my opinion.

I have always wanted to live in miami. There is masters program i found at Barry University. I never heard of the school before, but if my goal in the long run is to join a psyd program I dont think the name of a masters program holds much weight right?

I would rather be in a masters program for a year then be out of school completely....that is ofcourse if i even get accepted into a masters program lol.

edit* also, on a side note...i am blessed to come from a well off family that values education, so my education will be payed for. i dont have to worry about acquiring any debts (with god's blessings ofcourse).

I would definitely finish the master's degree rather than leave early if you choose to go that route. The last thing you'd want to do is to send your potential doctoral program the message that you're not terribly interested in seeing things through to completion, which is inadvertently what you'd be doing if you applied during your first year.

As for getting the master's itself, it's generally always a good way of strengthening your credentials and improving your application. However, as with Ph.D./Psy.D. programs, not all master's degrees are created equal. Optimally, you'll want one that will give you significant research experience and exposure, preferably (though not necessarily) culminating in a thesis rather than comp exams. The programs themselves are generally less-selective than their doctoral counterparts, and often have later application deadlines; thus, it's not at all outside the realm of possibility to begin one in fall 2011. The downside is that very few will offer funding, although you've said that isn't as much of an issue in your case.

...I think you're not getting it.

Slow down...big time. Trying to skip out of the master's program early is probably going to look very bad, if anything. You need to establish a commitment to the field. Doctoral programs do not like people who aren't persistent...they won't make it.

Its great that you like being in school, but this desperate need to be in school as soon as possible is a BIG problem. Schools are going to see through this when you go to interview, think you are immature and just want to avoid moving into the working world, and reject you. There is a reason clinical programs have interviews, and there is a good chance that even if you were a perfect candidate you would be rejected during the interview phase if what you seem to be saying to us comes through. What is wrong with working for a year or two, and maybe taking some of the pre-reqs on the side while working in a job that lets you get some additional clinical research experience? Its great that you have someone who can help you pay for school, but if you told them they could pay 200k to send you to a crappy school right now, or you can go to a much better school that is more likely to get you the career you want for free in a year or two, would they really encourage you to spend the money that way?

An MA program sounds like a fine choice, though I'm not certain it is necessary. However, if you enter one, you need to commit to it, be willing to see it through, etc. Don't go into one just to "wait it out" until you are eligible for a doctorate. That isn't a good use of your time, the schools time, etc. Your recommendations will probably be shoddy, it will look bad to schools you are applying to, etc.

In short....calm down. It sounds like your family values education, and so do you. That is great. Hopefully you all value education because of what it actually means, not just education for the sake of it. If it is that valuable to you...you should want to do it right, and make sure you get the most out of it that you can and that it places you in the best position to get the most out of your life moving forward.

Last edited:
...I think you're not getting it.

Slow down...big time. Trying to skip out of the master's program early is probably going to look very bad, if anything. You need to establish a commitment to the field. Doctoral programs do not like people who aren't persistent...they won't make it.

Its great that you like being in school, but this desperate need to be in school as soon as possible is a BIG problem. Schools are going to see through this when you go to interview, think you are immature and just want to avoid moving into the working world, and reject you. There is a reason clinical programs have interviews, and there is a good chance that even if you were a perfect candidate you would be rejected during the interview phase if what you seem to be saying to us comes through. What is wrong with working for a year or two, and maybe taking some of the pre-reqs on the side while working in a job that lets you get some additional clinical research experience? Its great that you have someone who can help you pay for school, but if you told them they could pay 200k to send you to a crappy school right now, or you can go to a much better school that is more likely to get you the career you want for free in a year or two, would they really encourage you to spend the money that way?

An MA program sounds like a fine choice, though I'm not certain it is necessary. However, if you enter one, you need to commit to it, be willing to see it through, etc. Don't go into one just to "wait it out" until you are eligible for a doctorate. That isn't a good use of your time, the schools time, etc. Your recommendations will probably be shoddy, it will look bad to schools you are applying to, etc.

In short....calm down. It sounds like your family values education, and so do you. That is great. Hopefully you all value education because of what it actually means, not just education for the sake of it. If it is that valuable to you...you should want to do it right, and make sure you get the most out of it that you can and that it places you in the best position to get the most out of your life moving forward.

Agreed, no need to spend 18k year (that will be Barry's tuition) to get a masters degree that will make you only marginally more comeptitive at the most. You'd have to repeat most of the work anyhow in the doctorate. It would be much wiser (if your goal is to go onto a quality psyd or ph.d) to spend that time working, either clinically, or in research. This way you make money and dont have to bum from mom and dad.

I don't know if I read these posts carefully enough, but I don't see anyone jumping on the fact that he argued that seeing a psychologist is sort of hands on experience.

Although this allows you to understand the relationship as well as the dynamic in session, being a client and being a psychologist are two completely different beasts.

I applaud your interest in joining the field at such a young age; however take a step back. Many people plan for attendance of PhD program for years (I started planning my freshman year of college). Deciding on a whim after years of planning for another career might not be the best option for you.

However, when all is said and done, it is your life to do with it what you wish.

But just be sure that if you DO start applying, keep your list to yourself (e.g., do not post it here). It is very easy for us grad students to check out this website and pin point who certain applicants are based on what they say. I have done it in the past. If you make it clear as to who you are, a potential grad student/ faculty member might look down on your quick decision (right or wrong as it may be) and judge you as a student because of it.

The big issue is that you are rushing and programs will know it. Note that there are individuals who wait years &#8211; sometimes around 2 years or more &#8211; to get into a program. There are hundreds of people who don't mind waiting, and with time, of course, comes experience and maturity. This is exactly what programs are looking for. Going into a master's program only to leave early doesn't really show how committed you are, and you want to do everything you can to put yourself in a positive light.

Why is time so important? I'm getting the feeling it's not just because you're bored and want to be a "professional student." You also seem to be quite concerned about being judged. Be forewarned that professionals in the field are definitely going to judge you and your decision to rush should you decide to follow the route you suggested.

i already know what im getting into..i just need to know the fastest way i can do it.

This is telling me that you have NO CLUE what you are getting into. Your desire to do this the fastest way possible is misguided and will more than likely lead to an outcome that I predict will be less than satisfactory. In short, you're naive.

I have been a patient of a psychologist for several months if that means anything..(i think it does, ofcourse its not like shadowing but it sort of is).

Ask your psychologist about what they think about that comment... should be an interesting discussion.

i have my own reasons that dont need to be explained...all that needs to be known is that i dont want to spend another year and start in the fall of 2012
You certainly don't need to explain anything to us, but if you don't want to spend another year and still start as soon as possible you would be best advised to stick to your original plan. In short, you're too late to get into any decent school that sticks to the APA schedule and if you chose to go to a non-accredited program, well you can dig that hole if you want, but don't cry when you can't figure out why people have less respect for your program.

I know this all sounds rather harsh, but you are coming across as someone who is willing to compromise everything in order to get the outcome you feel that you are entitled to. I hate to break this to you but you're going about this all wrong. I hope you come to your senses before you do something stupid.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why you're ruling out psychiatry. What exactly are you hoping to do that a clinical psych doctorate would allow and an MD wouldn't? If you're interested in therapy, you can do that as a psychiatrist, though you may have to seek outside training. If you want to do research, you can also do that as a psychiatrist. It's better job security and has more opportunities.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't change your plan, I'm just saying that you should evaluate it carefully because, as others have discussed, getting into a clinical PhD/PsyD program is an entirely different ballgame from getting into medical school and you don't want to embark on the endeavor without being completely sure that it's the right path for you.

I don't see why you're ruling out psychiatry. What exactly are you hoping to do that a clinical psych doctorate would allow and an MD wouldn't? If you're interested in therapy, you can do that as a psychiatrist, though you may have to seek outside training. If you want to do research, you can also do that as a psychiatrist. It's better job security and has more opportunities.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't change your plan, I'm just saying that you should evaluate it carefully because, as others have discussed, getting into a clinical PhD/PsyD program is an entirely different ballgame from getting into medical school and you don't want to embark on the endeavor without being completely sure that it's the right path for you.

it seems that doing psychiatry would in the long run provide for more job security while also allowing me to do therapy if i get seek additional training to do so over the years. My question then is, why didn't any of you do psychiatry instead?

I also find it ironic that in pursuit of devising a plan on getting a psyd i am myself being analyzed for insecurities and immaturity. how can i be on the path of helping others if i cant even decide what is best for me, and have the maturity to understand that finishing fast and being judged by peers is not the most important thing in the world. i think the more i contemplate on what i really want, the more i realize that my interest and love for psychology doesnt have its roots in my love for helping others, but rather in understanding myself more. Its not just that im a patient of a psychologist, but i also get psychology research twitter updates daily on my phone..which means im reading new research coming out daily..i doubt many of you find out the information nearly as fast or even at all, but i digress. I come from a different generation i suppose. I come from a media background along with the pre-med one. I have always been interested in how media affects the way people think. I made a short documentary on how facebook causes narcissism and jealousy. Im not saying that this makes me a psychologist, but im just alluding to the fact that i have always been interested in the way people think and why they think the way they do. part of the reason why i think im able to analyze other people is because i am aware of my own issues. I am insecure. About my age, about finishing fast, about finding something stable...i am immature to an extent..i pick up things and get over them fast. i rarely have a hobby i keep doing for an extended period of time. so i think that the idea of being a clinical psych is just another idea that i need to phase out of. I dont know how I would provide a family of 5 with a 70k salary and not work my butt off. I know people do it all the time, but i just dont see why being a psychiatrist making twice as much wouldnt be the better route to take. Im not saying money brings happiness, but it does bring options. A nice lady sent me a private message saying that people on these forums are often more interested in attacking new members rather than giving help. although i agree to an extent, i can also see that giving a completely honest response won't always be filled with smiles and rainbows. I have thought about doing dental, optometry, ect in the past..but always feel like such a career is just plain boring. teeth teeth blah blah. Being a nurse is great, but i feel emasculated by the idea. I know its an immature feeling, but its biological..i cant help it. i still have great respect for nurses and NPs, but i just cant do it. stupid male ego, i know.

Funny thing is, my psychologist was actually the one person who told me to look into getting a psyd. This is the honest truth. Hes a great therapist, whos been working in social work, administration, and clinical for nearly 20 years. I started seeing a psychologist when i was 19. I took a psychology class in college, and thought i had bipolar disorder after learning about it. My psycholgist agreed, i started medication, and my life changed for the better in so many ways. Although psychiatry provided the needed meds to help me, it was my psychologist who initially jump started the entire process of improving my life. I dont mean to rant on and on about myself but I figured i might as well. I think i need to take some time and really analyze what i want to do with my life. Time doesnt matter i suppose, because no matter what i do, i wont be making a stable income till im in my 30s anyway.

The best plan I have come up with, if i were to choose psychology that is, would be to take undergraduate psych classes in spring. The GRE, and then start a masters program in the fall. And then apply for a psyd program to start in the fall of the next year (2012). I have contacted schools and they mostly said that this would be a smart plan to do. I dont see why i couldnt do research and work along with classes...I did research in undergrad while in school, why couldnt i do it while getting a masters? But anyways, this is all hypothetical so dont get your panties in a bunch people. I appreciate all of your responses, this website is great in that it give real raw help that is hard to find.
time to do some soul searching

and btw, cara susana, you are really pretty.

I dont see why i couldnt do research and work along with classes...I did research in undergrad while in school, why couldnt i do it while getting a masters?

First off, congratulations on your quick progression. Your first post seemed rather immature but it seemed like you actually listened to those on here and learned more about your options.

It seems like you really enjoy psychological research. Why not pursue a PhD in clinical psychology? If you can obtain research experience in a master's program you find, that's great. However, you could also consider working in a psychology lab if you enjoy research enough. Just another thought to make things more complicated :p

Good luck!

i think the more i contemplate on what i really want, the more i realize that my interest and love for psychology doesnt have its roots in my love for helping others, but rather in understanding myself more.

That's it. You're done. Too many bad things and poor judgement come from people like this. Get the bulk of "you" fixed before coming into this field. Period. Self-discovery and personal growth is always encouraged, and will indeed always happen, but if the above is true, your not doing anyone any favors. This may be blunt, but I doubt anyone in good conscience (and ethics) could plausibly argue the opposite.

PS: I dont think I would argue that Facebook "causes" narcasssim. Afterall, Facebook doesnt change peoples personalities. Perhaps Facebook makes the narcissisism of a generation more apparent to the rest of the world via "status updates"? I think one could make the argument that Facebook plays into the cultural narcissism quite well, and indeed encourages it (doesn't the homepage always suggest that you share "what on your mind?). Narcissism in this context is the incessant need to "star" in your own show. I think Facebook enables young people to do that that quite well.

Last edited:
Yikes....

I am surpised that this post is still accessible. Once people start talking about their own psychopathology, it typically gets taken down.

it seems like you have a lot of heart for this field, which is lovely. I encourage you to find what makes you happy, and with a little time and a lot of work, I'm sure you will.

One reason that I think people get so defensive on this board probably has something to do with the fact that it is a very small field (compared to law schools who take 200 students per year with many schools available, our programs take roughly 3-4 students per year). Similar to interviewing applicants (although this may not be nice), we try to deter people that would not be good for the profession (in our eyes), in order to protect the public and ourselves as collleagues of future psychologists.

To answer a question:
1. In order to be a psychiatrist, you must go to medical school and actually be a doctor, THEN specialize in psychiatry.

Mostly, psychiatrists prescribe medications and do medication management. There is some psychotherapy mixed in there at times, but the majority of the time that is left to the MSWs and the PhD's/ Psy D's. If you want to just do strictly therapy,you may be interested in looking at an MSW. It is less time (like you said you wanted) and you do therapy.

2. In addition, we don't all want to be straight clinicians. A huge component of a PhD is research and teaching, something that you probably don't get as much experience with in a med school enviornment (not 100 percent sure though).

3. We typically get paid to go to school, have our tuition paid for, and it tends to be a lot less of a time committment. Thus, we have a lot less loans.

4. Not all people agree with medicating clients. Not to say all psychiatrists do this, but as a psychologist, we do not even have the option of doing so(yet?). Pills don't teach skills.

Also, it's important to note that most of us are probably cognitive behaviorally oriented psychologists. Thus, most of us do not analyze anyone. We teach people skills to cope with whatever they have going on in their lives. We do exposure with clients to help them face their fears.

Look around the boards, I'm sure it says in some of the posts what psychologists do in session. You may find that it's something you hate, and all of this was for nothing.

I'd be interested to hear a little about this facebook/narc. connection. Did you do some sort of experimental manipulation to test this, is it just correlational research, or was it more of a docustory?:)

Lastly, that is not Cara :)

I hope you find what you're looking for!

I also find it ironic that in pursuit of devising a plan on getting a psyd i am myself being analyzed for insecurities and immaturity. how can i be on the path of helping others if i cant even decide what is best for me, and have the maturity to understand that finishing fast and being judged by peers is not the most important thing in the world.

i'm glad you finally realized this. i've only read through this thread briefly but it seems having a family of doctors put some major pressures to live up to your relatives. you don't have to be a doctor you know. getting a psy.d to make others like you more is a bad idea

i think the more i contemplate on what i really want, the more i realize that my interest and love for psychology doesnt have its roots in my love for helping others, but rather in understanding myself more.

this is a major read flag. people don't become therapists to learn about themselves more.

Its not just that im a patient of a psychologist, but i also get psychology research twitter updates daily on my phone..which means im reading new research coming out daily..i doubt many of you find out the information nearly as fast or even at all, but i digress.

i know its surprising, but people on online forums do have access to twitter and facebook as well. maybe a research path would help you learn more about yourself? if research is what really interests you but you just want to be a therapist because of social influence that's a really big problem.

I come from a different generation i suppose. I come from a media background along with the pre-med one. I have always been interested in how media affects the way people think. I made a short documentary on how facebook causes narcissism and jealousy.

facebook is probably more of a medium for those to express narcissistic and jealous tendencies. sorry that causal relationship you assumed bugged me :p

this whole thread irritates me a bit. it seems like your just jumping into psychology because its a way to keep the Dr. title but also learn more about yourself. there is already a lot of people entering the field who shouldn't (see all the professional school crap on here). i think you are making a major mistake in going into clinical psychology without thinking about it more first. why is it so bad to take some time off? since your parents are loaded, you can work in a low paying job in the time being that might be beneficial (clinical research assistant, shadow a therapist (not as a patient!!), suicide hotline ect.) i think that is your best bet rather than being in school for the sake of school.

It's certainly natural and healthy to want to understand oneself. However, going into a professional meant to treat mental illness is not the way to do so. This is what personal therapy is for.

Its not just that im a patient of a psychologist, but i also get psychology research twitter updates daily on my phone..which means im reading new research coming out daily..i doubt many of you find out the information nearly as fast or even at all, but i digress.

I'm not sure what your point is with this comment.

I come from a different generation i suppose. I come from a media background along with the pre-med one. I have always been interested in how media affects the way people think. I made a short documentary on how facebook causes narcissism and jealousy. Im not saying that this makes me a psychologist, but im just alluding to the fact that i have always been interested in the way people think and why they think the way they do.

Maybe sociology is more up your alley?

part of the reason why i think im able to analyze other people is because i am aware of my own issues. I am insecure. About my age, about finishing fast, about finding something stable...i am immature to an extent..i pick up things and get over them fast. i rarely have a hobby i keep doing for an extended period of time. so i think that the idea of being a clinical psych is just another idea that i need to phase out of. I dont know how I would provide a family of 5 with a 70k salary and not work my butt off. I know people do it all the time, but i just dont see why being a psychiatrist making twice as much wouldnt be the better route to take. Im not saying money brings happiness, but it does bring options.

It's good that you are aware of your own tendencies because they may play a part in countertransference. But based on what you're saying, it sounds like you have a lot of ideas on your mind and time may help you sort them all out.

A nice lady sent me a private message saying that people on these forums are often more interested in attacking new members rather than giving help. although i agree to an extent, i can also see that giving a completely honest response won't always be filled with smiles and rainbows. I have thought about doing dental, optometry, ect in the past..but always feel like such a career is just plain boring. teeth teeth blah blah. Being a nurse is great, but i feel emasculated by the idea. I know its an immature feeling, but its biological..i cant help it. i still have great respect for nurses and NPs, but i just cant do it. stupid male ego, i know.

I don't understand how feeling emasculated by being a nurse is a biological phenomenon. If anything, I would suggest that it is a social phenomenon based on gender expectations.

The thing is, if you're aware that your "male ego" is the cause for these ideas, are you going to let that limit you from exploring other careers?

Funny thing is, my psychologist was actually the one person who told me to look into getting a psyd. This is the honest truth. Hes a great therapist, whos been working in social work, administration, and clinical for nearly 20 years. I started seeing a psychologist when i was 19. I took a psychology class in college, and thought i had bipolar disorder after learning about it. My psycholgist agreed, i started medication, and my life changed for the better in so many ways. Although psychiatry provided the needed meds to help me, it was my psychologist who initially jump started the entire process of improving my life. I dont mean to rant on and on about myself but I figured i might as well. I think i need to take some time and really analyze what i want to do with my life. Time doesnt matter i suppose, because no matter what i do, i wont be making a stable income till im in my 30s anyway.

Taking time to think about what you want is excellent.

The best plan I have come up with, if i were to choose psychology that is, would be to take undergraduate psych classes in spring. The GRE, and then start a masters program in the fall. And then apply for a psyd program to start in the fall of the next year (2012). I have contacted schools and they mostly said that this would be a smart plan to do. I dont see why i couldnt do research and work along with classes...I did research in undergrad while in school, why couldnt i do it while getting a masters? But anyways, this is all hypothetical so dont get your panties in a bunch people. I appreciate all of your responses, this website is great in that it give real raw help that is hard to find.

That sounds plausible and more reasonable in my opinion.

That's it. You're done. Too many bad things and poor judgement come from people like this. Get the bulk of "you" fixed before coming into this field.

I don't want to sound judgmental, but I agree. The more I read, the more I think... "Train Wreck!"

Now I am no one to be the arbiter of who can or cannot be a psychologist any more than anyone else here, but there are so many signs that point to a poor outcome.

As a psychologist I can't imagine suggesting to ANY patient that they pursue a Psy.D. degree. That's different than discussing the idea of getting a Psy.D. degree, but as a psychologist it's not my job to suggest much of anything regarding decisions but to allow the client to work through issues to arrive at decisions that are best for them.

Mark

The lady in my avatar is Katie Rose Clarke, a Broadway actress. ;)

And, okay, so you've ruled out psychiatry. That's fine, I just wanted to make sure that you considered all avenues in the mental health field, especially since you're pretty much prepared for that one having taken the MCAT and all.

I think though that you should get involved with psych research at some level. Even if your documentary was on a psychological topic, our kind of research is completely different. And even if you read a lot of research articles, which is great, you still won't fully comprehend what it all involves until you do it. Heck, I'm still learning new things about the process and I had two years of research experience going into grad school.

thanks for calling me a train wreck. I get it, point taken I'm not suited to be in your field. sorry if I have upset or irritated anyone, I didn't mean to devalue your profession. ill leave it all to you guys.
you can close this thread now

thanks for calling me a train wreck. I get it, point taken I'm not suited to be in your field. sorry if I have upset or irritated anyone, I didn't mean to devalue your profession. ill leave it all to you guys.

I didn't call you a train wreck... I called the situation a train wreck. Not everything is about you. I don't see you devaluing the profession, but I do see you being unrealistic in your expectations.

Perhaps I don't blow sunshine and lollipops, but I'm certainly not down on you either. I think you have the opportunity to reflect a bit now and think about whether your expectations, goals, and even my opinion make sense in the greater context.

I am not trying to be mean, but when you roll in here stating that you think you understand all about psychology because you are a patient and you have suffered from symptoms of bipolar disorder, one would likely cast a jaundiced eye. Then to assume that being younger imparts an advantage over the rest of us (especially old farts like myself, who must be technologically challenged) is really amusing. I, myself, used to own and operate an Internet Service and wrote post flight data analysis software for the USAF. Hardly technologically challenged I assure you and I would imagine that there are quite a few other people here who know a thing or two about being plugged in.

I personally have NO IDEA of whether you are suited for this field or not. What I do know is that you don't have a good chance at success without the proper foundation. There is a reason why people need to have the proper foundation for graduate work in Psychology and why graduate programs are fairly selective. It has nothing to do with trying to deny talented students from pursuing the field but with ensuring that you have the basic tools to succeed in this field.

I wish you the best of luck, sorry I couldn't be more warm and fuzzy.

Mark

PS - Cara, when did you pass me up in posts?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:

It is better that it happened on a forum than once you've already dumped time and money into some sub-standard, diploma mill program. I don't think anyone here is aiming to crush a stranger's dreams. It is a simple fact that this field is not for rush decisions, poor planning, or self-discovery. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

PS - Cara, when did you pass me up in posts?!?!

No idea--I'm as surprised as you are! Don't worry, I'm sure next semester I'll be too busy to post! Of course, I always say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.