Too late to apply for fall 2011?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for calling me a train wreck. I get it, point taken I'm not suited to be in your field. sorry if I have upset or irritated anyone, I didn't mean to devalue your profession. ill leave it all to you guys.
you can close this thread now

I got into this thread late. I think while there were lots of good points brought up, I think in the end you sort of got mobbed. Just my opinion.

I don't think it's illegitimate to be interested in gaining self-knowledge as one motivating factor for entering the clinical psychology field. As a primary reason, yes, perhaps. But I certainly found that there was a wonderfully illuminating interplay between the classwork, the research, the practica, and the personal therapy I underwent. The "a-ha" moments I had doing a class assignment or in doing research were so much more memorable when the insight gained was self-referential.

Anyways, the best advice I heard in this thread is to take off 1-2 years and get yourself a solid research assistant position in that time, and then apply to funded programs. I wish *I* had done that - I did the rush-to-the-professional school route and I have about 130K of student loan debt to show for it. However, my full time pay is currently about 130K including benefits, so I didn't do too terribly (although I do live in the SF Bay Area) - however, plenty of graduates from my program are struggling, and some are drowning.

Do what you want.

Members don't see this ad.

I got into this thread late. I think while there were lots of good points brought up, I think in the end you sort of got mobbed. Just my opinion.

I don't think it's illegitimate to be interested in gaining self-knowledge as one motivating factor for entering the clinical psychology field. As a primary reason, yes, perhaps. But I certainly found that there was a wonderfully illuminating interplay between the classwork, the research, the practica, and the personal therapy I underwent. The "a-ha" moments I had doing a class assignment or in doing research were so much more memorable when the insight gained was self-referential.

Anyways, the best advice I heard in this thread is to take off 1-2 years and get yourself a solid research assistant position in that time, and then apply to funded programs. I wish *I* had done that - I did the rush-to-the-professional school route and I have about 130K of student loan debt to show for it. However, my full time pay is currently about 130K including benefits, so I didn't do too terribly (although I do live in the SF Bay Area) - however, plenty of graduates from my program are struggling, and some are drowning.

Do what you want.

thank you...seriously thank you.
ive concluded that the only thing stopping me from doing it is the salary and job security. thats basically the only thing bothering me. one person makes 40k, another makes 70k, you make 130k. i mean its all over the place. it seems really financially unstable. but other than that, it seems like an awesome field. anyways, thanks guys

Do what you want.

I'm not gonna continue to pounce on the OPs' issues, but really have to disagree with your comment about motivation for getting into the profession. The real answer is it depends, I suppose, on how she meant that statement. As I said before, continuing to getting know yourself (insight), learning from your patients, etc. are all things that are beneficial....fringe benefits of the profession, if you will. However, if are joining this profession so it can serve as an outlet for your issues (your continuing therapy, so to speak), I'm gonna have to say, "I don't think so pal." Not good. One of the best pieces of advice a clinical supervisor has ever given me regarding clinical work is "ITS NOT ABOUT YOU!"

Grad school is rigorous and stressful, thus, as I said before, the bulk of your serious issues should be/need to be resolved before coming into this profession and serving others. Otherwise, your issues have the potential to get in the way of your work with patients (or at least create professional disclosure or boundary issues).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
good lord what is wrong with you people? how can it be all about me? that is ridiculous...all i meant was that learning more about myself sparked an interest in the field...its not the ONLY reason. do you think im stupid? Everyone has a relationship with a career before they start, otherwise how the hell would they know what its about? Take a chill pill...seriously you guys are freaking annoying as hell. read the entire post before responding. tired of this crap,

good lord what is wrong with you people? how can it be all about me? that is ridiculous...all i meant was that learning more about myself sparked an interest in the field...its not the ONLY reason. do you think im stupid? Everyone has a relationship with a career before they start, otherwise how the hell would they know what its about? Take a chill pill...seriously you guys are freaking annoying as hell. read the entire post before responding. tired of this crap,

Relax lady, no one thinks your stupid. Passion is good. However, I did read the whole post and thats what it came off as...as well as stating that you often go from one interest to the next and perhaps clinical psych was just one of them.

However, now you have clarified what you truly meant. Still, i think the advice given is valuable to think about and certainly sparked good discussion for issues related to ones mental health and the field.

good lord what is wrong with you people?

I could drone on about what's wrong with us for hours, but that's not nearly as interesting as what is wrong with you.

how can it be all about me?

Very easily, add one part narcissism to two parts delusion, stir gently over an open flame for 20 mins and then chill and serve cold.

that is ridiculous...all i meant was that learning more about myself sparked an interest in the field...its not the ONLY reason. do you think im stupid?

Do you really want the answer to that question?

Everyone has a relationship with a career before they start, otherwise how the hell would they know what its about?

Most of us were not patients undergoing treatment when we decided to pursue this avenue of work, more importantly we did more than go to therapy before deciding that this was a field that we were really interested in. Some of us even got Bachelors Degrees in the subject and most everyone took more than one undergraduate course before applying. I know, you're special, and as God's special snowflake you're the exception to the rule. Think of how that makes all the other children who have been working for years to become a psychologist, all of a sudden to realize that had they only been a special snowflake like you they could have bypassed all that other work.

Take a chill pill...seriously you guys are freaking annoying as hell. read the entire post before responding. tired of this crap,

Sorry, I can't resist a good Yoda reference.

"Ummm, yes, the force is strong in this one... :) A therapist he thinks he will be... but he lacks the training and patience to be a therapist, too old is he to begin the training now. I fear he will pursue the dark side, once down the road of psychiatry forever driven by it you will be." - Yoda

If one that easily annoyed they should consider specializing in personality disorders, after all... Personality disorders are never annoying and the clients would not dare attempt to push your buttons.

I could drone on about what's wrong with us for hours, but that's not nearly as interesting as what is wrong with you.

Very easily, add one part narcissism to two parts delusion, stir gently over an open flame for 20 mins and then chill and serve cold.

Do you really want the answer to that question?

Most of us were not patients undergoing treatment when we decided to pursue this avenue of work, more importantly we did more than go to therapy before deciding that this was a field that we were really interested in. Some of us even got Bachelors Degrees in the subject and most everyone took more than one undergraduate course before applying. I know, you're special, and as God's special snowflake you're the exception to the rule. Think of how that makes all the other children who have been working for years to become a psychologist, all of a sudden to realize that had they only been a special snowflake like you they could have bypassed all that other work.

Sorry, I can't resist a good Yoda reference.

"Ummm, yes, the force is strong in this one... :) A therapist he thinks he will be... but he lacks the training and patience to be a therapist, too old is he to begin the training now. I fear he will pursue the dark side, once down the road of psychiatry forever driven by it you will be." - Yoda

If one that easily annoyed they should consider specializing in personality disorders, after all... Personality disorders are never annoying and the clients would not dare attempt to push your buttons.

your a loser man...why do you spend hours on a forum trying to make other people you dont even know feel like crap. you sit there with your little keyboard and think you are mr. know it all. grow the **** up. get off the internet if you just stay rude crap to make yourself feel better. pathetic

Ok. Its going downhill and she more interested in emotionally responding to perceived slights. Should we close?

PS: Psychiatric patients will do alot more than give blunt advice. Think about that.

PSS: Mark, sorry, I think that post was little over the line. I think we can articulate points that shes ignoring without getting so personal.

your a loser man...why do you spend hours on a forum trying to make other people you dont even know feel like crap. you sit there with your little keyboard and think you are mr. know it all. grow the **** up. get off the internet if you just stay rude crap to make yourself feel better. pathetic

Nice...

1. I didn't make you feel like crap, you're responsible for your own feelings. If you feel like crap, that's your own stuff.

2. I know very little. I am not afraid to say so.

3. I don't see a reason to get off the Internet, nor does watching you flail about on your keyboard make me feel any better.

4. In all seriousness, I feel for you, having both brothers and sisters who are Doctors, the pressure on you must be tremendous.

Mark

PS - I just read all your posts, and to be quite serious, if anyone else had they wouldn't be taking you very seriously at all. You sell yourself as a pre-med student, when in reality you were a self-described communications major who doesn't like the science of medicine and can't understand why you're not competitive with a low 20's MCAT score. And it appears you are more interested in the title of Doctor to satisfy the narcissistic needs of your "south Asian" parents and your own desire to raise a large family with the income it provides than any genuine interest in serving your fellow man. (Did not see one word about the importance of patient care, but only the maligning of other "less prestigious" professionals.) <- I am certainly going to hell for this little rant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Its going downhill and she more interested in emotionally responding to perceived slights. Should we close?

PS: Psychiatric patients will do alot more than give blunt advice. Think about that.

PSS: Mark, sorry, I think that post was little over the line. I think we can articulate points that shes ignoring without getting so personal.

You've got a good point. I did cross the line in some respects. I apologize to any whom I've offended, including the OP. I was really just trying to be humorous at this point since the thread had become rather pointless at this stage.

Mark

I would imagine they think that because that's what you said earlier. You said:

carolinablue said:
i think the more i contemplate on what i really want, the more i realize that my interest and love for psychology doesnt have its roots in my love for helping others, but rather in understanding myself more.

I read that as basically you saying that your primary reason for pursuing this field is to figure yourself out. And really, let's be honest. You're not all that dedicated to psychology, specifically. You're on here talking about med school, Caribbean med school, nurse practitioner programs, etc. The best advice you could follow would be to take the time to figure out what you think you can reasonably commit to. You're all over the place.

And it appears you are more interested in the title of Doctor to satisfy the narcissistic needs of your "south Asian" parents and your own desire to raise a large family with the income it provides than any genuine interest in serving your fellow man.

I think the OP has made it clear that he/she is genuinely interested in helping people while keeping financial interests in mind, which doesn't seem unfair to me. However, the path that the he/she was thinking clearly doesn't match with what is reality.

That said, I'm cringing at the direction that this thread has followed and I think some harsh words were said. I feel like we've gone as far as we can with this...I second the notion to close this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.