Too late to apply for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Big Don

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 1/2 Saginaw Chippewa Indian from Michigan.

I have an overall GPA of 2.96, PostBacc GPA of 3.37 (Damn Orgo II), and a sGPA of 3.29. I went to an Ivy League undergrad school.

MCAT of 32P.

Shadowed physicians, volunteered, did a summer prep program.

Considering the love that URMs get, do I have a shot at any of the following this cycle: Wayne, Ohio State, Georgetown, NEOUCOM, LECOM, OUCOM, MSUCOM, MSU, Loyola, Case, Wright, Minnesota-Duluth, North Dakota, Iowa, Indiana, Tufts, Cornell?

I have just started filling out the paperwork to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you have a chance. Of course it would be a better chance if you applied early next cycle with more postbac classes under your belt. But you still have a chance this season.

Are you familiar with the point system North Dakota uses? I'm under the impression that if you did not attend HS there or have prolonged residency, you are severely disadvantaged as an OOSer. Also, it's not an AMCAS school; they have their own application.

Yes, you have a chance. Of course it would be a better chance if you applied early next cycle with more postbac classes under your belt. But you still have a chance this season.

Are you familiar with the point system North Dakota uses? I'm under the impression that if you did not attend HS there or have prolonged residency, you are severely disadvantaged as an OOSer. Also, it's not an AMCAS school; they have their own application.

That is true with North Dakota. As an Indian, I am given the same status as in-staters on the point system.

Also, the Indian program interviews all at once in January. They also pay for you to come interview. So, there is no penalty for applying late in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you.

Since North Dakota interviews are in late January, I figured would be able to get another semester of science grades in before they decided on my app.

For all the schools you apply to, sending them a transcript or summary of fall grades in an update letter would be a great strategy. Along, of course, with pertinent added hours for ECs, anything new and relevant you're doing, and a statement of why their school is perfect for you.