Too late to apply for OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avi7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a foreign trained dentist practicing in MN for 3yrs. Well, I didn't attend any school here since the board let me take the WREB after evaluating my creds.

Is it too late to apply for OMS programs for 2007?
How good are my chances with getting one:
3yrs work exp, part 1- 88,,part 2- 79 and GPA 3.89.
I would appreciate the input from the gurus!!
Avi

Members don't see this ad.

how did you calculate a "gpa" if you didn't go to school here? did you have the same 4.0=A system where you trained?

Not Exactly. I had to get my creds evaluated by ECE before I applied for licencure.
Avi.

Members don't see this ad :)
avi7 said:
Not Exactly. I had to get my creds evaluated by ECE before I applied for licencure.
Avi.

why going to a specialty? did you encounter problems while practicing because u did not go tru a school here in US?

give us some reasons please...thanks :)

avi7 said:
Hi,
I am a foreign trained dentist practicing in MN for 3yrs. Well, I didn't attend any school here since the board let me take the WREB after evaluating my creds.

Avi

3 yrs work experience? In OMFS or in general practice? General practice will hurt you, not help you. 88 on part I boards probably won't get you an interview at 99% of programs. In summary, no US school :thumbdown: , 88 part I boards :thumbdown: , three years practice :thumbdown:, I think it would be terribly challenging for you to get an interview let alone get accepted into OMFs in this country-even Canada :( ..... maybe someone else will think differently

confi-dent said:
why going to a specialty? did you encounter problems while practicing because u did not go tru a school here in US?

give us some reasons please...thanks :)

Ans:
Well, in my 3yrs of GP, I have found myself being more inclined towards OS. In short, it makes me happy and enjoy doing surgery. I know its a difficult path ahead, but I know what I want. So lets see,,,,Thanks.

esclavo said:
3 yrs work experience? In OMFS or in general practice? General practice will hurt you, not help you. 88 on part I boards probably won't get you an interview at 99% of programs. In summary, no US school :thumbdown: , 88 part I boards :thumbdown: , three years practice :thumbdown:, I think it would be terribly challenging for you to get an interview let alone get accepted into OMFs in this country-even Canada :( ..... maybe someone else will think differently
Thanks for your encouraging reply!!! Can u gimme a good reason why general practice for 3 yrs of GP doesnt count??? I know its a long way ahead!!but I am planning for it,,,,thanks for ur input though.
avi

avi7 said:
Thanks for your encouraging reply!!! Can u gimme a good reason why general practice for 3 yrs of GP doesnt count??? I know its a long way ahead!!but I am planning for it,,,,thanks for ur input though.
avi

GP is considered "poor orientation" to OMFS. I am currently training two very smart people who did GPR and AEGD and they are behind in many ways to the externs who have done some serious externships. So many of my pimping questions kill them and the externs know the answers. Both of them admit that they didn't take advantage of exposure to OMFs residency prior to coming. Both are "a few months behind". Trust me they are paying for it. They are top dental students with strong board scores but I'm beating the dentist out of them even as we speak.... :)

esclavo said:
GP is considered "poor orientation" to OMFS. I am currently training two very smart people who did GPR and AEGD and they are behind in many ways to the externs who have done some serious externships. So many of my pimping questions kill them and the externs know the answers. Both of them admit that they didn't take advantage of exposure to OMFs residency prior to coming. Both are "a few months behind". Trust me they are paying for it. They are top dental students with strong board scores but I'm beating the dentist out of them even as we speak.... :)

I get your point. So you think a fellowship program for 1 yr or a internship program will help me out? :confused:

The other thing that will hurt you is "NO US DENTAL DEGREE", no matter how good your scores are a lot of programs will not even look at your application because of that reason.
Although I know some programs do not care for it especially 4yr programs, 6 yr programs will not consider you because of the med school.
In terms of what to do to improve your chances, retake part I ,aim for > 92, the higher the better and try to get in an internship.
I guess you can still apply for this year, it's not too late to apply, lots of programs in new york have their interviews late.

avi7 said:
avi
Because GP has nothing to do with oral surgery. Extractions have very little to do with oral surgery during residency, believe it or not. Packing amalgams has nothing to do with oral surgery and teaches you nothing about inpatient care, basic surgical skills, management of medically compromised patients, etc. In other words, there is minimal relevant experience in general practice.

Program directors don't care how well your crowns fit, etc. All they care about is:

1) Do you have the aptitude (grades) to learn a large body of information in a short time even after being severely sleep deprived.

2) Are you an a$$hole vs. someone they can put up with for 4-6 years. And can you carry on an intelligent conversation?

3) Do you have the commitment for oral surgery? The worst thing that can happen to a program is when a resident drops out. Most programs only take 2 residents per year, and if someone leaves then that's 50% of the manpower lost.

4) do you have a foundation sturdy enough to weather the ****storm that will mercilessly lay it's wrath on you for 4-6 years

toofache32 said:
Packing amalgams has nothing to do with oral surgery

C'mon dude, I know you guys do that stray apicoectomy with the amalgam retrofill................ :laugh:

toofache32 said:
1) Do you have the aptitude (grades) to learn a large body of information in a short time even after being severely sleep deprived.

2) Are you an a$$hole vs. someone they can put up with for 4-6 years. And can you carry on an intelligent conversation?

3) Do you have the commitment for oral surgery? The worst thing that can happen to a program is when a resident drops out. Most programs only take 2 residents per year, and if someone leaves then that's 50% of the manpower lost.

I can attest to the dropping out thing. My program has suffered from my absence. They had to call in some guys from the military base to help out with call. Sucks, but I can't help it at this stage. Program directors do everything they can to head off dropouts before they get into the program.

Most programs won't even look at Canadian dentists, much less from somewhere else. You will have a very tough time with your board scores, particularly step II. Your only hope is to do an internship and blow it out of the water, but are you willing to leave the money you are making to get 30 or 40 K per year? You won't get a guarantee if you do an internship, and some programs may simply take advantage of you because you are a warm body. Seen it happne, so be careful where you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
scalpel2008 said:
4) do you have a foundation sturdy enough to weather the ****storm that will mercilessly lay it's wrath on you for 4-6 years

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
that is closer to the truth than most will ever know.....

Jediwendell said:
C'mon dude, I know you guys do that stray apicoectomy with the amalgam retrofill................ :laugh:

I can attest to the dropping out thing. My program has suffered from my absence. They had to call in some guys from the military base to help out with call. Sucks, but I can't help it at this stage. Program directors do everything they can to head off dropouts before they get into the program.

Most programs won't even look at Canadian dentists, much less from somewhere else. You will have a very tough time with your board scores, particularly step II. Your only hope is to do an internship and blow it out of the water, but are you willing to leave the money you are making to get 30 or 40 K per year? You won't get a guarantee if you do an internship, and some programs may simply take advantage of you because you are a warm body. Seen it happne, so be careful where you go.

hmmm,,,looks like a lot of hard work and perseverance but since I haven't been to a school here, maybe a good/exciting experience for me. Many of my friends who went through school here, either as advanced standing or post-grad programs, had their share of this ordeal. I will absorb the positive things here on the forum and pursue what I want for my future. Thanks alot for all your info.
(P.S: you willing to leave the money you are making to get 30 or 40 K per year? ,,,,Wife is a physician here,,, :)

Hi guys,
looks like you can help me with the info i m looking for . i want to know how can i get into dental residency programme in US schools being an internatinal student & what's the procedure ? plz help me with this info !
my mail id is '[email protected] '. plz .........

esclavo said:

avi7 said:
Hi,

Avi

If you are foreign trained dentist, perio specialty is excellent choice for speciailty with bright future and foreign commandos.

dental06 said:
Hi guys,
looks like you can help me with the info i m looking for . i want to know how can i get into dental residency programme in US schools being an internatinal student & what's the procedure ? plz help me with this info !
my mail id is '[email protected] '. plz .........
I don't know how to say this nicely so I'll just say it: Why don't you just call and ask the programs you're interested in...instead of a bunch of strangers on the internet?

schrottypie said:
If you are foreign trained dentist, perio specialty is excellent choice for speciailty with bright future and foreign commandos.
why is that?? I mean, why should it be easier to get into a perio program. I haven't thought in those lines but just curious about ur reply. If it does have a bright future, it should have the same competitive edge as OS,don't u think?

avi7 said:
I get your point. So you think a fellowship program for 1 yr or a internship program will help me out? :confused:

In your equation avi7 there are three weak points:
#1 Non A.D.A accredited dental degree.
#2 relatively low Part1 for OMFS
#3 No real world OMFS experience.
If you are really passionate about OMFS, then you should give part1 again and try to get >90, that will also put you in a very good spot to get into an advanced standing program and get a DDS in 2-3 years, while you are in DS get some hands on experience in OMFS at some good programs.
This will give you much better chance.

But remember do not go into OMFS for $$, go for it only if you love it or you will repent your decision in the long run.

eyeforstars said:
In your equation avi7 there are three weak points:
#1 Non A.D.A accredited dental degree.
#2 relatively low Part1 for OMFS
#3 No real world OMFS experience.
If you are really passionate about OMFS, then you should give part1 again and try to get >90, that will also put you in a very good spot to get into an advanced standing program and get a DDS in 2-3 years, while you are in DS get some hands on experience in OMFS at some good programs.
This will give you much better chance.

But remember do not go into OMFS for $$, go for it only if you love it or you will repent your decision in the long run.

Thanks for ur reply. Ya, I am thinking of retaking part 1, buts its been more than 4yrs since I gave the exam. It will be tough, but I am willing to sacrifice the finer things. Second, I am not going for the $$ because as u know the scope of a GP is so vast now, starting with cosmetics to even doing ortho. So, this is what I like,and wanted to do right when I graduated in '99. And these 3yrs of practice have enforced my desire to pursue OS.

avi7 said:
Thanks for ur reply. Ya, I am thinking of retaking part 1, buts its been more than 4yrs since I gave the exam. It will be tough, but I am willing to sacrifice the finer things. Second, I am not going for the $$ because as u know the scope of a GP is so vast now, starting with cosmetics to even doing ortho. So, this is what I like,and wanted to do right when I graduated in '99. And these 3yrs of practice have enforced my desire to pursue OS.
If you are interested, there is an excellent felowship/internship year in omfs still available to start imediately at bronx Va, associated with mount sinai in NY, you can still pump up your application for2007! Get in touch with Dr. Smith at Va or with the OMFS dept. at mount sinai.

"But remember do not go into OMFS for $$, go for it only if you love it or you will repent your decision in the long '

I think that was put very simply and beautifully ........................it is very difficult to get this message across to people .
I graduated this year from the US , was accepted in a fellowship in Canada but my visa paperwork did not come through ( i was on student visa in the US ) , so basically i am now just stranded iT is very frustrating .
I think i have lost two years already . most of the schools want the applicants to be pemanent residents or citizens in Canada or US .
Does the time away from school decrease chances of getting in!!!!
I have a part 1 of 92
GPA 3.5 , my class ranks have not come out yet do you think i have a chance , i know i am already late for this year :confused:

Attention foreign trained dentists:

How good is your english? Even if you get an interview, you will be sunk if your english is poor. If people have to struggle to understand you or repeat things for you to understand you are in trouble. The first thing I do when I interview is make a snap judgement about the person. English skills do come into play.

Hi i am foreign dental graduate with non accredited dental degree. Did 2 years post gradaution in oral and maxillofacial surgery.Has a good experience related to Oral and maxillofacial surgeries involving Trauma,Reconstruction surgeries,wisdom,pathologies etc, currently working in one of the well known hopsital in Jamaica in the dept of oral and maxillofacial surgery.Intersted in pursuing a 4 or 6 year OMFS program.Have a part-1 score of 87 giving part-2 in november.Trying to work as an intern in U.S for 1 year.Can anyone tell me what would be my chances of getting in to the program for 2007.If i do not get in to i am planning to give my part-1 again to improve my scores.Any input will be appreciated.

Attention foreign trained dentists:

How good is your english? Even if you get an interview, you will be sunk if your english is poor. If people have to struggle to understand you or repeat things for you to understand you are in trouble. The first thing I do when I interview is make a snap judgement about the person. English skills do come into play.

Very true.....Apart from just being able to speak grammatically correct english, knowing the local 'lingo' is also important.....Reminds me of an Indian movie in which a graduate student, fresh from India, is lecturing undergrad kids and asks a girl if he can borrow a 'rubber' (in India a pencil eraser is called rubber) :laugh: