too late to apply for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhunt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently changed my mind from em to peds. I have two peds letters and a personal statement done. So far I've only done rotations in EM. I was hoping to switch my next two to peds electives. Is it too late to apply to peds programs that have already started giving interviews? I am extremely interested in programs that seem to have already given out interviews. I don't want to ruin my chances at those programs.

extremely nervous about the future,
jhunt

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to Peds!
Obviously it won't be easy, but I think it's never too late to change your mind if it means doing what you really love. I think that most programs have held a few interview positions and are waiting on Dean's Letters...
Of course a lot depends on the strength of your application and on which programs you are interested in, but I think that, as long as your application is completed by each program's deadline, you should be ok. I would try to take advantage of your school's resources - get either your Dean or the Chair of Peds/Residency Director to make a few phone calls for you to programs that you're really interested in, even if those programs seem to have already offered invites. You'd be surprised how many programs can fit in an extra applicant on a full interview day if they really want to interview someone.

I applied to peds programs just about 2 weeks ago, and am still getting interview invites trickling in. The available dates are more limited, but if you apply to programs broadly you should get at least a few invites (provided decent credentials). I know Hopkins at least doesn't give out any interviews until they get the Dean's Letters, and there may be other programs like that as well where you would be in fine shape. Anyway, best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your story sounds exactly the same as mine when I was applying two years ago. I did two EM sub-I's and realized I only liked seeing the kids. I had even done some EM interviews. But I switched everything (letters, personal statement, etc) at the last minute and submitted a week before the deadline. I got less interviews than I should have, but I still got interviews at great programs (columbia, nyu, ucsf, etc) and ended up at my #1 choice. So you can do it, make the leap! Good luck.

Hi I am a fourth DO student who just decided to do Peds now, but I have not applied to any programs. I am going to try to take the USMLE step 2 and I hope to scramble into allopathic residency or just do an extra intern year. I want to take the USMLE because the comlex 2 exam this year was unpredictable and people dropped close to 100 pts avg. I studied for a good 4 months hard and througout third year, but still did not pass so I am retaking that even though I do not know where I went wrong because they do not even give you a break down of your exam:) and so I thought I might as well do the USMLE in Jan at least I can do practice NBME exams that can help figure out where I stand. I was wandering if anyone could please shed some light about trying to change residencies and what I can do to help better my chances for the scramble. Thank you.