too late to apply for suny?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I won't be taking my OAT until the 20th of November, and I'm still getting my LOR in.
gpa/science gpa 3.36/3.57, 90 hours shadowing experience, what are my chances of getting into SUNY?

Members don't see this ad.

You can still turn in your application without having taken the OAT or having all the LORs turned in- many on here on have done it. They might then decide to wait until your OATs are in or still invite you to an interview. That said, it is not late- late is the end of January/February.

Do well on the OATs!

thanks!! what score would you say is reasonably safe fo SUNY?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks!! what score would you say is reasonably safe fo SUNY?
SUNY is one of the most competitive schools, as such their students tend to have very high GPA and OAT scores. I would say 3.5+ GPA and 340+ for a good shot. Lower GPA means you need higher OAT, especially if you are later in the cycle. For your GPA I would recommend at least a 360+ on the OATs. I had my interview at SUNY, they told me they tend to fill up all their seats by Dec/Jan, but they do accept 1.5x the class size which is about 150 students out of 750+ applicants (~250 interviewed) for 100 seats. Best get your application in ASAP because interview slots are almost all up for November. You'll likely have to interview in December/January for the last few seats.

Source: I'm a current applicant, interviewed already at SUNY and spoke with admissions.

yikes, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I can manage that score, and I would really like to get into SUNY, would it be better for me to just wait to apply next year or just apply anyway even though my chances are low?

apply if you think you can do well on OATs and can afford the cost of Optomcas+Supplement which i think is around $200+ total. I would say get your application submitted this week if you want to do that.

alright, thanks I'm gonna go for it. I only have 1 letter in but I may have 2 by the end of the week at least, also transcript was very recently sent to OptomCAS :/

alright, thanks I'm gonna go for it. I only have 1 letter in but I may have 2 by the end of the week at least, also transcript was very recently sent to OptomCAS :/

If you are done with your essay and everything else, then submit it today if you want. You don't have to wait til the LORs are in to submit your application.

If you feel more comfortable until your OATs are in, then wait until you take the OATs.

I would say just go ahead and apply. You'll never know until you do.

The same thing pretty much happened to me. I applied to suny late august, my LOR's and OAT scores were not in. My LOR's were finished by the end of september (i think suny already received my application by then) and i took the OAT a week before my interview! (I received an interview invite before i took the OAT). Just do the best that you can and hopefully it will all work out!

By the way, it would be a good idea to submit right away. In the worst case that a recommender decides to disappear, you are still able to add and remove recommenders even after you submit.

alright! thank you everyone for the advice!