too late to apply in october?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

akgrown907

I am taking my MCAT in September. I don't get my scores back until October and I'm just wondering if it would be too late to apply to a DO school? Should I wait until the next cycle at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

DO school cycle runs a bit longer so you should be ok. However, the sooner the better.

Would you suggest I start my application & submit my application ASAP or wait until around October when I receive my MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
n=1, but I submitted my secondaries on first week of December and I was fine, but my situation might be a little different.

n=1, but I submitted my secondaries on first week of December and I was fine, but my situation might be a little different.

What were your stats when you applied if you don't mind me asking?

Would you suggest I start my application & submit my application ASAP or wait until around October when I receive my MCAT score?
i am not entirely sure they will even look at your app without an MCAT score

I would have everything ready and then submit your app the day your score is released. I submitted my app in mid November last year and only got one II. I'm applying again this cycle if I don't get pulled from the waitlist.

I am taking my MCAT in September. I don't get my scores back until October and I'm just wondering if it would be too late to apply to a DO school? Should I wait until the next cycle at this point?

I was in a similar boat this past cycle. I sent my primaries mid-october and secondaries mid-november. I got 3 II's (DMU, MSU, and KCU) but all of the interviews were super late in the respective schools cycle and I felt like I was competing for waitlist spots. I got in off the waitlists so it still worked out tho.

If I could do it over I would have submitted my primary without an MCAT score and prewritten the secondary prompts. Regardless, I would apply this cycle.

I was in a similar boat this past cycle. I sent my primaries mid-october and secondaries mid-november. I got 3 II's (DMU, MSU, and KCU) but all of the interviews were super late in the respective schools cycle and I felt like I was competing for waitlist spots. I got in off the waitlists so it still worked out tho.

If I could do it over I would have submitted my primary without an MCAT score and prewritten the secondary prompts. Regardless, I would apply this cycle.
You would have submitted without an MCAT score? You don't think it would basically get your app thrown away?

You would have submitted without an MCAT score? You don't think it would basically get your app thrown away?
No clue how legit this is, but my Kaplan MCAT prep teacher advised me to submit w/o a score and simply put the date I was planning on taking the exam. They said that schools basically won't look at my app until the score is sent but that it would save some time by getting the rest of the app verified and show an earlier submit date or something. I was worried about how I scored so I ended up waiting to see the score before submitting anything.

No clue how legit this is, but my Kaplan MCAT prep teacher advised me to submit w/o a score and simply put the date I was planning on taking the exam. They said that schools basically won't look at my app until the score is sent but that it would save some time by getting the rest of the app verified and show an earlier submit date or something. I was worried about how I scored so I ended up waiting to see the score before submitting anything.
Ah gotya thanks

Thanks for your input. I spoke to my advisor and he recommended applying asap without my mcat score and just prewrite my secondaries. Are you currently attending a DO school or did you have to reapply? Also what was your Lizzie M score if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!

Thanks for your input. I spoke to my advisor and he recommended applying asap without my mcat score and just prewrite my secondaries. Are you currently attending a DO school or did you have to reapply? Also what was your Lizzie M score if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!
I will be attending DO school in the fall! I'm pretty sure my LizzyM score is a 63 or 64. Tiny chance I go MD as I'm on the waitlist at one of my state's MD schools but I'm not too hopeful this late in the game.

Thanks!

Keep in mind that while schools will sometimes wait for an MCAT score they are not obligated to do so. I've known a fair amount of people who were rejected instantly because "their MCAT score was 0" and had to go through the huge pain of calling the school and having to explain that they were waiting on their score and have the school re-add them to the applicant pool. Not something I would ever want to do. It wouldn't be better to apply to a throw away school to just get your app verified and then add all the other schools work you get your score back. That's when they will be looking at your application anyways so why take the risk?

Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind that while schools will sometimes wait for an MCAT score they are not obligated to do so. I've known a fair amount of people who were rejected instantly because "their MCAT score was 0" and had to go through the huge pain of calling the school and having to explain that they were waiting on their score and have the school re-add them to the applicant pool. Not something I would ever want to do. It wouldn't be better to apply to a throw away school to just get your app verified and then add all the other schools work you get your score back. That's when they will be looking at your application anyways so why take the risk?

So the most optimal course of action cycle is to send one app in to get everything verified, while pre-writing the secondaries for the schools that you expect a secondary from, and then send in the MCAT score once received? Once they send you the secondaries, you just turn it in ASAP and play the waiting game for IIs? I apologize if I'm asking a lot, I'm just trying to set my timeline because I'm taking my MCAT in August.

So the most optimal course of action cycle is to send one app in to get everything verified, while pre-writing the secondaries for the schools that you expect a secondary from, and then send in the MCAT score once received? Once they send you the secondaries, you just turn it in ASAP and play the waiting game for IIs? I apologize if I'm asking a lot, I'm just trying to set my timeline because I'm taking my MCAT in August.

That's what I would do. The secondaries are usually posted here in the school specific threads so you can know what they are and if they have changed from years past.

Reactions: 1 user
That's what I would do. The secondaries are usually posted here in the school specific threads so you can know what they are and if they have changed from years past.

Sounds good! I was actually keeping a word doc with the secondaries of the schools I plan to pre-write. I'm sure writing secondaries beats studying for the MCAT. Can't wait till after my test date. Thanks! I appreciate it.

I will be attending DO school in the fall! I'm pretty sure my LizzyM score is a 63 or 64. Tiny chance I go MD as I'm on the waitlist at one of my state's MD schools but I'm not too hopeful this late in the game.
which DO school are you attending in the fall? That is awesome! Congrats!