Too late to apply to anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sthcalifornian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MSIV here, I'm applying late after opting against my original choice of specialty. step I is in the 220s, step 2 is in the 230s, in the bottom half of my class, and applying to east coast and west coast programs.

any thoughts? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Not too late, just be sure to apply broadly. If I were you, I would talk to someone in my dean's office and see if they could help.

Check the official interview thread, you'll see that many programs haven't even begun to send out invites yet.

Definitely not too late to get your app in. As already said a lot of programs haven't even started sending invites. Have you done any anesthesia rotations? Do you have or can you get an anesthesia LOR quickly? Also be prepared for the question of why anesthesia and why applying late (personal statement material), you want to really convince PDs you aren't applying late because you decided last minute that you weren't as competitive for your 1st choice as you would have liked so you decided to go for #2. Obviously that scenario happens and is realistic, PDs know it, but you want to sell yourself as not "settling" for anesthesia. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not too late to get your app in. As already said a lot of programs haven't even started sending invites. Have you done any anesthesia rotations? Do you have or can you get an anesthesia LOR quickly? Also be prepared for the question of why anesthesia and why applying late (personal statement material), you want to really convince PDs you aren't applying late because you decided last minute that you weren't as competitive for your 1st choice as you would have liked so you decided to go for #2. Obviously that scenario happens and is realistic, PDs know it, but you want to sell yourself as not "settling" for anesthesia. Good luck

did a lot of anesthesiology shadowing before med school, and did a rotation at my school earlier this year this year. my school's department will probably write an LOR for me based off that and my CV. looking into away rotations right now as well.

In my own mind, I like anesthesia of several elements that are actually in common with my original interest in specialty. What else do you think might be a good way of selling myself to PDs, given that my ERAS application already has evidence of my interest in that field?

Last edited:
did a lot of anesthesiology shadowing before med school, and did a rotation at my school earlier this year this year. my school's department will probably write an LOR for me based off that and my CV. looking into away rotations right now as well.

In my own mind, I like anesthesia of several elements that are actually in common with my original interest in specialty. What else do you think might be a good way of selling myself to PDs, given that my ERAS application already has evidence of my interest in that field?

What field? What are similarities? What about that specialty changed your mind and made you second guess? How does your ERAS app show signs of your favor of another specialty?

Basically all of those questions are fair game and I would have good answers for them. My biggest question is why are you leaving one specialty for this one? What took you till oct to decide?

But how you sell yourself is by being honest about how your views changed but also what made you love anesthesia enough to spend the next 30 yrs doing it?