Too late to apply to D.O. schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend hasn't been lucky in the M.D. process and started the D.O. application this week. Is it too late to send it in and hope for an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorC said:
My girlfriend hasn't been lucky in the M.D. process and started the D.O. application this week. Is it too late to send it in and hope for an acceptance?
Don't they accept applications until April?

never say never. but in this case, yes, it's too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorC said:

No. I have a classmate that applied in February.

vipergts66 said:
never say never. but in this case, yes, it's too late.

Are you even in medical school?

DoctorC said:

DO applications are due by Feb 1st, so she should definitely send it out early next week. Supplementaries are usually due around the beginning of March. There's still a little time left, so if the mail works out, there is definitely some hope. AACOM takes around a few weeks to verify grades and document receipt of transcript. Send the transcripts out asap! Send LORs asap!

Good luck to your girlfriend.

We interview through March and into April. I would still apply. You still have a high chance especially in schools in non-desirable metropolitan areas. If you wanna be a doctor you should be willing to go anywhere to do it.

MaloCCOM said:
We interview through March and into April. I would still apply. You still have a high chance especially in schools in non-desirable metropolitan areas. If you wanna be a doctor you should be willing to go anywhere to do it.

Quick Question. I noticed you said "we" in your response, are you on an admissions committee? I am also applying late and am wondering if there are just a few spots left for really impressive applicants (which my GPA/MCAT scores aren't). Thanks for your help!

cavolley said:
Quick Question. I noticed you said "we" in your response, are you on an admissions committee? I am also applying late and am wondering if there are just a few spots left for really impressive applicants (which my GPA/MCAT scores aren't). Thanks for your help!
There are spots left at most schools this early in the game...