Too late to apply to D.O?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakergirl818

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I completed the AMCAS application and have finished all my secondaries and I decided to apply to D.O. schools as well- I plan on submitting the AACOMAS application by today or tomorrow, but is it still too late to apply?

I have a 3.8 UCLA gpa, a 3.8 AMCAS gpa (although that's probably higher now, because I took some classes in the spring and summer that weren't factored into my AMCAS gpa), and a 3.7 science GPA (as per AMCAS)

I also have a 28Q on my most recent MCAT (I got a 25S the first time I took it): Verbal: 10, Physical: 9, Bio: 9

I haven't shadowed a D.O, but I have shadowed M.Ds (I'm currently working on getting a LOR from an MD and hoping to shadow a D.O over the next few months, but I probably won't be able to get a letter from one)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I completed the AMCAS application and have finished all my secondaries and I decided to apply to D.O. schools as well- I plan on submitting the AACOMAS application by today or tomorrow, but is it still too late to apply?

I have a 3.8 UCLA gpa, a 3.8 AMCAS gpa (although that's probably higher now, because I took some classes in the spring and summer that weren't factored into my AMCAS gpa), and a 3.7 science GPA (as per AMCAS)

I also have a 28Q on my most recent MCAT (I got a 25S the first time I took it): Verbal: 10, Physical: 9, Bio: 9

I haven't shadowed a D.O, but I have shadowed M.Ds (I'm currently working on getting a LOR from an MD and hoping to shadow a D.O over the next few months, but I probably won't be able to get a letter from one)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

IF you want to go DO, then with your stats you can probably get away with applying this late.

Though I guess I would ask why? With those stats, even the lower MCAT, if you were realistic in your school selections there is no reason why you shouldn't get into an allopathic school. What is the motivation to all of a sudden spending another $1000 on applications and secondaries for DO programs this late in the season?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

In before bashing of "insincere" DO applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats will do just fine for DO schools, even this late in the cycle. I would get your application in ASAP and start pre-writing secondaries so that you can submit them as soon as you hear back from the schools. Search the forum for the threads that tell you which schools require a DO letter specifically and avoid those when you apply, unless you find a way to get that DO letter.

Goodluck :luck:

Is the verification process just as long and gruesome for DO as it is lately for MD?

Is the verification process just as long and gruesome for DO as it is lately for MD?

Verification process will be long until about Nov/Dec when people generally stop submitting primaries.

Verification process will be long until about Nov/Dec when people generally stop submitting primaries.
This process is painfully slow...It takes two weeks to even have a transcript waiver...I submitted two weeks ago and they told I should expect to get verified in two months because I ask for a transcript waiver.

This process is painfully slow...It takes two weeks to even have a transcript waiver...I submitted two weeks ago and they told I should expect to get verified in two months because I ask for a transcript waiver.

What is a transcript waiver?

What is a transcript waiver?
I took some classes outside of the US and I am unable to get the transcript. I would have to travel to this country to get the transcript personally and I am unable to do that since that would cost me between $800-1000 to travel to this country. I ask AACOMAS if they can waive this transcript for me since these classes already appear in one of my transcripts here in the US. I hope they do that because these classes are not even prerequisites for med school. I am not even sure if that school is accreditated

Last edited:
The best advice I got from sdn was: submit in July. Because it sure is nice that it took less than a week to get verified. Even tho I didn't even have my mcat score yet. I feel like it must really suck waiting two months and I feel for anyone that has to lol

The best advice I got from sdn was: submit in July. Because it sure is nice that it took less than a week to get verified. Even tho I didn't even have my mcat score yet. I feel like it must really suck waiting two months and I feel for anyone that has to lol

I wish I had known I could submit in July. Because I was done with my application by then. But no, I waited for my MCAT scores. :rolleyes: Two more weeks for me. I don't understand why they take so long right now when they know schools are already interviewing and accepting, and they know most people submit right now because of the summer MCAT.

I wish I had known I could submit in July. Because I was done with my application by then. But no, I waited for my MCAT scores. :rolleyes: Two more weeks for me. I don't understand why they take so long right now when they know schools are already interviewing and accepting, and they know most people submit right now because of the summer MCAT.

Because they have to verify all of your grades one by one. Imagine 8000+ of applications and limited staff.

It's not magic.

You can submit before your MCAT.

Because they have to verify all of your grades one by one. Imagine 8000+ of applications and limited staff.

It's not magic.

That sounds harder then it really should be. But I suppose if you have 3 different transcripts I understand. But of course I'm just a frustrated pre-med at the moment.

Last edited:
That sounds harder then it really should be. But I suppose if you have 3 different transcripts I understand. But of course I'm just a frustrated pre-med at the moment.
Yeah, unfortunately they have to keep everyone honest and make sure classes are categorized right.

In 2011 there were 43,919 applicants to AMCAS.

If they all ONLY had a traditional BS with nothing extra that gives me close to 2 million lines to verify.

If it took an hour a application, it would take 42 full-time employees over 6 months to verify that many applications. I honestly don't think they can go over your full application, and verify your transcripts in a hour but I had to pick a number.

I'm not sure how many people they have working, but since the applications are not level from July-Dec, it makes sense they appear to process faster in July than in Sept.

Not all transcripts look the same.

Though I guess I would ask why? With those stats, even the lower MCAT, if you were realistic in your school selections there is no reason why you shouldn't get into an allopathic school. What is the motivation to all of a sudden spending another $1000 on applications and secondaries for DO programs this late in the season?

Eh. Decent to good chance if (as you pointed out) applying to the right schools. But applying DO certainly bumps the chance of getting in up. I applied last year with good GPA, good MCAT, decent extracurriculars/volunteer work and I'm currently reapplying. Spending that extra $1000 could save a year spent reapplying if things don't go as hoped!

Not late. I applied end of January 2012 (last day to submit primary) and I am in DO school right now.

Nope. they were average 29Q, 3.45GPA. I got 5 interviews (Touro NV, Touro CA, LECOM-B, ATSU AZ, LECOM-Seton hill). Accepted 3 of the 5 listed above. Its all about the interview. good luck!

Nope. they were average 29Q, 3.45GPA. I got 5 interviews (Touro NV, Touro CA, LECOM-B, ATSU AZ, LECOM-Seton hill). Accepted 3 of the 5 listed above. Its all about the interview. good luck!

Same score and similar GPA as me... this gave me some much needed morale haha. Thanks for the information!