too late to apply to more programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emplease

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am applying to this years cycle and have been kinda disappointed with the response I have gotten so far...5/35 for interviews, 2 on waitlists and 7ish rejections. Looking at the programs that I havent heard back from I am not really confident. Many of the programs I am waiting to hear back from have sent out a good number of invites already...UT- chatt, UF- Jax, SC programs ect. Going into the cycle i thought i was a fair applicant 235 on Step 1, mostly high passes( including EM) with a couple of honors. I have contacted a few programs that I have a strong interest and havent heard back. As a last ditch effort to salvage this cycle, should I apply to more programs now? Where are most schools in terms of giving out invites?

Thanks guys and gals

Members don't see this ad.

Given it is still early in the app process and you could still be getting more interviews... why do you think things haven't been going so well? Grades and Step 1 scores seem good enough for interviews. Do you have any red flags or disadvantages in your app? (something neg in your dean's letter, a negative LOR, or are you IMG, failed step 1 the first time, etc)

I think 35 is plenty of programs, and the best measure may be to find out what's stopping them from giving you the invite and fixing the problem at that level, applying to more programs isn't necessarily going to fix the issue at hand.

Do you have an advisor to talk to? Or maybe even your dean?

Given it is still early in the app process and you could still be getting more interviews... why do you think things haven't been going so well? Grades and Step 1 scores seem good enough for interviews. Do you have any red flags or disadvantages in your app? (something neg in your dean's letter, a negative LOR, or are you IMG, failed step 1 the first time, etc)

I think 35 is plenty of programs, and the best measure may be to find out what's stopping them from giving you the invite and fixing the problem at that level, applying to more programs isn't necessarily going to fix the issue at hand.

Do you have an advisor to talk to? Or maybe even your dean?

As far as i know, I dont have any red flags. I have an EM program at my home institution(midwest) and i have been applying mostly SE and NE. I saw a draft of my deans letter which was good, i dont think my SLORs are bad. The only thing i can think of which is keeping me down is my high pass in EM/ most of 3rd year and applying out of my geography.

As for fixing the problem..i would love to do that but i just dont know what it is :oops::oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
This may seem weird, but did you have other people read your PS? I'm told this has been the downfall of otherwise good applicants before, as per my PD. Stuff like grammatical errors, etc.

I doubt it's the HP, I also got HP in my EM rotation and have been doing really well in the application cycle. Geography could potentially be playing a factor, but I wouldn't think it would factor in that much.

As far as i know, I dont have any red flags. I have an EM program at my home institution(midwest) and i have been applying mostly SE and NE. I saw a draft of my deans letter which was good, i dont think my SLORs are bad. The only thing i can think of which is keeping me down is my high pass in EM/ most of 3rd year and applying out of my geography.

As for fixing the problem..i would love to do that but i just dont know what it is :oops::oops:

Honestly, my guess is there's SOMETHING in your application that is affecting the responses you get. My best guess is that it's your LORs since you've seen the rest of it. Ask your dean to CAREFULLY screen all your LORs and then try to find some programs with late deadlines and put your application in.

Lots of luck.

geography could definitely be a factor... one of the programs i applied to didn't send me an interview invite until I told them that the reason I applied there was because my fiance lived in the area... They didn't understand why a west coast person was applying to a new jersey program... but once I told them they sent me an invite right away... you should try it...