Too late to apply to summer research programs like NIH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glazedonutlove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was just wondering-is it too late to apply for summer research programs like NIH/Vanderbilt/etc?
I am not sure which ones are rolling admissions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean SURF programs and stuff? Like those 10 week paid research programs for undergrads? Most of the deadlines when I did mine were February 1st, if I recall correctly. (This is just enough time to ask for letters of recommendation, btw---don't delay!)

NIH Summer Internship is rolling and applications opened in November, so it's definitely nearing the end for that. Wouldn't hurt to try, but you need to step on the gas.

Members don't see this ad :)
NIH Summer Internship is rolling and applications opened in November, so it's definitely nearing the end for that. Wouldn't hurt to try, but you need to step on the gas.

It's definitely possible to do NIH at this point, you just have to apply more broadly. I did NIH as a March applicant (last week of it being open) but I had to send out ~50 messages to PIs to get a single positive response (most negatives were that they were full or weren't taking a summer student this year).

ugh..really mad at myself for not finding out about this earlier. But thanks everyone! I will probably email some PIs. @WedgeDawg did you read their papers and stuff before emailing? I was just going to do a generalized email and add my resume..

ugh..really mad at myself for not finding out about this earlier. But thanks everyone! I will probably email some PIs. @WedgeDawg did you read their papers and stuff before emailing? I was just going to do a generalized email and add my resume..
While you don't necessarily need to read their publications, you definitely want to send an email show you know what they do and why you think it's interesting, so I wouldn't use the same message for everyone

I applied to the SIP around this time last year and got the job! It was great, just make sure you have a very well written application and cover letter and you might get some bites!

Having some background research experience, upper level coursework completed, and/or connections to some PIs (through networks of researchers and collaborators at your university, etc) would certainly help for the NIH. Most other interns were pretty well-qualified.

I applied to the NIH in early April (really late, I know) and still received a few offers. It really depends on which PIs you email and whether they have already filled their positions or not. I obviously wouldn't recommend applying that late, as many of the positions in labs I really liked were already filled, but you should be totally fine if you apply now and apply broadly (I emailed 50+ PIs).

I used one cover letter + resume for every place I applied to and just changed the name because I was a stupid freshman who didn't know better.