Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I submitted to AMCAS in June and was verified July 1st, however I could only afford to apply to 7 schools. I now have money to apply to a few more, but I'm wondering if it's too late? Are there certain schools I should definitely avoid at this point in that it would merely be a "donation"? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

gonnif

Only 512 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I submitted to AMCAS in June and was verified July 1st, however I could only afford to apply to 7 schools. I now have money to apply to a few more, but I'm wondering if it's too late? Are there certain schools I should definitely avoid at this point in that it would merely be a "donation"? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
If your verified now, with money, and most importantly, if you can write several more secondaries in a highly polished manner and with high quality within the next 2-4 weeks or so, you should be okay, assuming your are a good candidate.

OP
S
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If your verified now, with money, and most importantly, if you can write several more secondaries in a highly polished manner and with high quality within the next 2-4 weeks or so, you should be okay, assuming your are a good candidate.
Thanks for the quick response! I am a marginal candidate. I'm a career changer and have been working in the medical field for the last 10 years as a mental health counselor at a primary care addictions clinic. My LizzyM is only about 66-67, but with a strong upward trend. I know for a candidate with my profile it's recommended to apply broadly, but I simply couldn't afford to at the time I submitted. I guess I'm just wondering for someone with my marginal stats if I will be passed over this late in the cycle if I submit secondaries now? Thanks again!

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Give me your AMCAS GPAs year by year and MCAT

Reactions: Goro
OP
S
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank-you! I have a low cGPA and decent MCAT:
MCAT is 515.
GPA: Freshman = 2.7, Sophmore = 2.3 (then I took 6 years off for medical reasons) Junior = 3.6, "Senior" is 60 credits = 3.75 but my final 30 credits was 3.93.
Graduate GPA = 3.98
I really appreciate your feedback!

OP
S
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I should also mention I have a ton of research experience including 2 first author journal pubs and 3 posters and a national conference presentation. Plus thousands of hours of volunteer work....if that matters.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
MCAT is 515.
GPA: Freshman = 2.7, Sophmore = 2.3 (then I took 6 years off for medical reasons) Junior = 3.6, "Senior" is 60 credits = 3.75 but my final 30 credits was 3.93.
Graduate GPA = 3.98
Try Case, BU, U Miami, Mayo, Dartmouth, any of the Philly Triplets, Albany and NYMC

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
MCAT is 515.
Graduate GPA = 3.98
Final 30 credits wont matter as it be rolled into overall senior, wont be readily apparent to adcom. You would had to make that apparent in primary PS to be most effective . As @Goro suggests those schools but I wouldnt go beyond that