• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Too Late to Apply?

Aug 1, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
    I submitted to AMCAS in June and was verified July 1st, however I could only afford to apply to 7 schools. I now have money to apply to a few more, but I'm wondering if it's too late? Are there certain schools I should definitely avoid at this point in that it would merely be a "donation"? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Jul 26, 2009
    The Big Bad Apple
    1. Non-Student
      I submitted to AMCAS in June and was verified July 1st, however I could only afford to apply to 7 schools. I now have money to apply to a few more, but I'm wondering if it's too late? Are there certain schools I should definitely avoid at this point in that it would merely be a "donation"? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
      If your verified now, with money, and most importantly, if you can write several more secondaries in a highly polished manner and with high quality within the next 2-4 weeks or so, you should be okay, assuming your are a good candidate.

Aug 1, 2017
      1. Pre-Medical
        If your verified now, with money, and most importantly, if you can write several more secondaries in a highly polished manner and with high quality within the next 2-4 weeks or so, you should be okay, assuming your are a good candidate.

Thanks for the quick response! I am a marginal candidate. I'm a career changer and have been working in the medical field for the last 10 years as a mental health counselor at a primary care addictions clinic. My LizzyM is only about 66-67, but with a strong upward trend. I know for a candidate with my profile it's recommended to apply broadly, but I simply couldn't afford to at the time I submitted. I guess I'm just wondering for someone with my marginal stats if I will be passed over this late in the cycle if I submit secondaries now? Thanks again!

About the Ads

Goro

Lifetime Donor
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Jun 11, 2010
        Somewhere west of St. Louis
        1. Non-Student
          Thank-you! I have a low cGPA and decent MCAT:
          MCAT is 515.
          GPA: Freshman = 2.7, Sophmore = 2.3 (then I took 6 years off for medical reasons) Junior = 3.6, "Senior" is 60 credits = 3.75 but my final 30 credits was 3.93.
          Graduate GPA = 3.98
          I really appreciate your feedback!
          Try Case, BU, U Miami, Mayo, Dartmouth, any of the Philly Triplets, Albany and NYMC

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
          Lifetime Donor
          10+ Year Member
          Jul 26, 2009
          The Big Bad Apple
          1. Non-Student
            Thank-you! I have a low cGPA and decent MCAT:
            MCAT is 515.
            GPA: Freshman = 2.7, Sophmore = 2.3 (then I took 6 years off for medical reasons) Junior = 3.6, "Senior" is 60 credits = 3.75 but my final 30 credits was 3.93.
            Graduate GPA = 3.98
            I really appreciate your feedback!
            Final 30 credits wont matter as it be rolled into overall senior, wont be readily apparent to adcom. You would had to make that apparent in primary PS to be most effective . As @Goro suggests those schools but I wouldnt go beyond that

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.