too late to apply???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patient101

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you think its too late for me to apply
now and still have a decent chance of getting in?
Any suggestions will be helpful.
Here are my stats:
28P MCAT
and 3.5 undergrad gpa.

Also the LOR from a DO we send with our
secondary application...right?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that a lot of schools have already accepted about half of their class...but I have heard of many students who didn't apply until JAn or Feb and still got into DO schools. I say go for it and see what happens...I bet you will get some interviews if you apply asap! Plus your stats are good and already having the DO LOR ready to go will help speed things along. Good Luck!

MD schools not working out for you, huh? So you decided to try DO schools mid-cycle, eh?

Personally, I don't care if the above apply to you or not -- but those are likely questions an interview panel is going to ask you. Mid-cycle applicants to DO schools are red-flags and many schools are skeptical about them. They'll want to know, "If you were so interested in being a physician, why didn't you apply to DO schools from the start? Aren't we, after all, physicians as well?"

Can you still get accepted? I suppose it is possible. Just be ready for this type of attitude at an interview. And they'll be looking at you extra closely to see why MD schools didn't want you (if this is the case).

Again, none of this is personal -- I'm telling you what DO interview panels are likely to see in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that they are gonna ask you why you want to be a DO no matter what type of school you applied to.

I don't think it is too late to apply to DO schools.

I am willing to bet you will get in.

Don't go into DO thinking it is a second-tier physician status because it is not. (it may be perceptually but not actually and most prejudice against DO is only in the pre-medical community)

General question for anyone with a guess:
How do you think most schools handle late applications? Would they still give a student the same considerations as if he/she was applying at the beginning of the cycle, or would they most likely look at only the strongest applicants?

Maybe call the schools and ask them for an honest assessment. Beware that some schools may always say 'yes' to get yet another application fee (2ndary) from you, especially as they like having folks on the wait-list.

I would have a really good reason (for interviews) to apply so late, however.

I agree they are going (at least I hope they do) to wonder why you did not apply earlier. They may give you a hard time about that. Also, before you go and waste money sending an AACOMAS application check the deadlines. Some schools have a Jan. 1 deadline, others Feb 1. The AACOMAS service says that they take 2-4 weeks to send the application and that is after they have received your transcripts. You are cutting it real close. Also, a lot of school have already picked their interviewee?s for all the spots and some have accepted 2/3 or more of the next class.

It is a possibility though, so if you get on it now you may have a chance. As a hardcore osteopathic student I question your motivation since you have the scores to get in. Personally I don?t want to matriculate with student who thinks that DO is the second best way to go? Do you know what the difference between the two is?

just wondering...
i applied to aacomas late as well, nov 1st. i took the august 02 MCAT so i knew my app would be late from the start . it has been a long time and my app still is not verified by aacomas....and now im worried, but i dont know what i can do- i guess i just have to wait.
anyone out there get interview invites or know anyone who got interview invites in like jan-march??? and still got accepted? specifically at CCOM.
i am really interested in CCOM and am scared . i went to the med school asmissions seminar at Uof I this past nov and they said most of their class is filled by dec....

Call aacomas and make sure they have all your stuff. I also took the August mcat and waited the aacomas recommended time frame and found out they had lost my scores, so I had to wait some more. There shouldn't be a lot for them to do at aacomas right now as most apps have been processed so if yours still hasn't made it through contact them asap. Also, check the web sites for the schools that you wish to apply to and see if their secondary info is on there. Just assume you will be invinted to apply and fill out the secondary info and write the essay. That way when your app goes through you will be ready to apply right away. Also, have those reference letters wiating to go. Good luck. Sean.

thanks sean, i will do that!