Too Late to Do Masters???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Ceez, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Ceez

Ceez Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Hey all. It's already April and I currently have no acceptances yet and I'm getting worried. Is it too late to apply to masters programs if I don't get in a MD program? And, can I do a masters in one year while I'm reapply for MD?

Thanks in advance

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

these are the types of questions that you should ask the schools that you're interested in getting a masters at. application deadlines vary from school to school, and whether or not it is feasible to finish a program in a year depends not only the school, but the particular program too.

doing a masters at the same time that you apply to med school isn't going to improve you app the way you think it will. med schools don't care that you've started a masters program, and that in itself isn't going to make you look better. it's the tangible proof of your performance in the program (meaning, your grades) that matters, and you won't generate any new grades until *december*, by which time many schools have already filled their classes or have at least handed out a lot of interviews. something to think about.

4. Ceez

Ceez Senior Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sandflea:
    <strong>these are the types of questions that you should ask the schools that you're interested in getting a masters at. application deadlines vary from school to school, and whether or not it is feasible to finish a program in a year depends not only the school, but the particular program too.

doing a masters at the same time that you apply to med school isn't going to improve you app the way you think it will. med schools don't care that you've started a masters program, and that in itself isn't going to make you look better. it's the tangible proof of your performance in the program (meaning, your grades) that matters, and you won't generate any new grades until *december*, by which time many schools have already filled their classes or have at least handed out a lot of interviews. something to think about.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hmmm...maybe I can get a masters this year and reapply the following year. My major concern is my undergrad GPA, so I would like to do some more coursework.

5. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel

Pre-Medical
    Check my reply to you in "Reapplicants" about <a href="http://www.go.to/physio" target="_blank">Georgetown Physios</a>

6. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel

Pre-Medical
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sandflea:
    <strong>time that you apply to med school isn't going to improve you app the way you think it will. med schools don't care that you've started a masters program, and that in itself isn't going to make you look better. it's the tangible proof of your performance in the program (meaning, your grades) that matters, and you won't generate any new grades until *december*, by which time many schools have already filled their classes or have at least handed out a lot of interviews. something to think about.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Georgetown program (yes, I'm enthralled with it) gives out two sets of grades before December (I think) and also sends out an extra LOR from the faculty member that you paired with in the beginning of the year. In addition, you're taking MED classes which are more relevant than grad classes. :D

7. McEntrye

McEntrye Senior Member

There are a bunch of programs, such as post-bac, that you could do instead of a masters.

If you do a masters though, you should finish it. And before starting, you should make your supervisor aware of your intentions, its bad faith to do otherwise.

Other options include extra volunteering, ie work in a hosptial or organ donating service or something that improves that side of your app.

8. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by CoffeeCat:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sandflea:
    <strong>time that you apply to med school isn't going to improve you app the way you think it will. med schools don't care that you've started a masters program, and that in itself isn't going to make you look better. it's the tangible proof of your performance in the program (meaning, your grades) that matters, and you won't generate any new grades until *december*, by which time many schools have already filled their classes or have at least handed out a lot of interviews. something to think about.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Georgetown program (yes, I'm enthralled with it) gives out two sets of grades before December (I think) and also sends out an extra LOR from the faculty member that you paired with in the beginning of the year. In addition, you're taking MED classes which are more relevant than grad classes. :D </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">another issue that comes in with applying while you're still working on the masters is that some schools won't recalculate the GPA they are using to evaluate you as new grades come in...the GPA that you have on your AMCAS app is the one that they use, regardless of how many other grades you send in during the application cycle. they may take a look at the grades to see what you've done, but your GPA won't change and it still may shut you out of interviews, etc. it's best to have the classes already *completed* when you fill out AMCAS.

9. DesiMDHopeful

DesiMDHopeful Senior Member

No it's not too late at all. Many masters programs (depending on what you're looking into) don't have deadlines till late May or Early June I believe. This is because they are setup for people who did not get into med school and are trying to look for another way out. Finch/CMS, Georgetown, MCP Hahnemahn, and BU are some places (to name a few) that have such programs. All allow you to take med courses which is a really good way to prove yourself to many schools and if you do well there is the chance to get accepted. There is a syracuse website that lists them all. Here is the address:

<a href="http://www-hl.syr.edu/hpap/LISTPB.HTM" target="_blank">http://www-hl.syr.edu/hpap/LISTPB.HTM</a>

Hope this helps! :)