Too Late to Expect Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shuey123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering....from ppl who have done this before.....Is it too late to expect interviews from schools that you were complete in mid september and you have not heard from since? Anyone who has applied in prev. years....whats your experience with such situations?
Thanks sooo much....

Members don't see this ad.

It's still early in the process... so don't worry. I don't think anyone here can give you the reassurance you're looking for.

shuey123 said:
I was wondering....from ppl who have done this before.....Is it too late to expect interviews from schools that you were complete in mid september and you have not heard from since? Anyone who has applied in prev. years....whats your experience with such situations?
Thanks sooo much....

Last year, a co-worker & I were both applying to schools at the same time. Because of some glitches (not to mention empty pockets), we both ended up having our secondaries finished by mid-January. She got three interviews in February and was accepted at/enrolled in UF. I got one of the last interview slots at UMiami in April...alas, I did not get in...but I do know from this experience that it is possible to get an interview even really late in the season. Keep in mind that while AMCAS opened in June, most of the schools deadlines haven't even arrived yet--and that's for the primary application!

I guess this is all to say that, while interviewing later may reduce your chances, this process isn't over until it's over. There are still seats available out there. Now whether or not you can rationally convince yourself of this long enough not to feel anxious from now until you get that acceptance letter, well, that's a whole different problem.... ;) Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
shuey123 said:
Thanks sooo much....

no

got 2 interviews in feb last year

Thanks for sharing guys! I feel like I can breathe again!:)

I have just started to get my interview invites, and I am an August mcat taker. What has helped me is calling the schools and finding out when people have cancelled their interviews. This allows you to move your date up. I now have one on Dec. 2nd and one on December 9th....and the invites both came in within the last week or so.

God, I seriously hope it's not too late :( That would suck.

There have been numerous threads on the timings of invites...from what I understand, a lot of invitations go out in Jan for Feb interviews. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys.

On that same note, is there any surge of invites between now and holiday season? Or is this a lull in the application cycle and we shouldn't really expect to hear too much until the beginning of Jan? Thanks.

No, it's not too late. I'd say we're approaching/already at the mid-point of all this, but there's still lots of time left.

i feel the same way as you karat!
seems like the interview invites going out now are being scheduled into march of next year, and that just sounds like you might be interviewing for the waitlist.

also, most of the invites going out now seem to be for august mcaters... feel like i've been passed over. still waiting to hear from 16 schools.

bubbleyum said:
seems like the interview invites going out now are being scheduled into march of next year, and that just sounds like you might be interviewing for the waitlist.

also, most of the invites going out now seem to be for august mcaters... feel like i've been passed over. still waiting to hear from 16 schools.

I am afraid of the same thing...but I think (hope) there is plenty of time left. I have heard of people getting invites in Feb to interview in March...I hope this is true.

Let me rephrase my question.....I know its not too late to receive interviews,,,,,however, I was complete in mid september and have not heard since....... Realistically would schools grant interviews after such a long "complete" period? :confused: :scared:

I had interviews in January and February of last year for actual spots on the class roster (i.e. not wait-list spots). So, there's still plenty of time left in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
shuey123 said:
Let me rephrase my question.....I know its not too late to receive interviews,,,,,however, I was complete in mid september and have not heard since....... Realistically would schools grant interviews after such a long "complete" period? :confused: :scared:

I also had some friends who were complete at schools in mid/late August who received interviews and were accepted in early Feb.

shuey123 said:

yes, it is...i was completed in late sept last year and got 2 interviews in jan/feb

bubbleyum said:

I know, I totally have the same sinking feeling. I haven't heard from 16 schools either, and I have been complete at them since end of Aug/mid Sept. It's uncanny how you and I are in the same boat hehe.

In any case, I'm still freaking out. I mean, the adcoms must have met 2-3 times between my completion dates and now and yet I have not heard a damn thing from most of my schools! They really are sadist bastards if they're not planning on giving me an interview (even if it is for the waitlist). Reject me now if you're planning on doing it later anyway...don't drag it out, you know?

I know exactly how you all feel, i've been waiting since end of august for a great majority of the schools I applied to. However just last week i heard from a school where i had already been complete for 3 months and the interview is in december. So its not too late! I'm guessing we are probably borderline applicants for a lot of these schools, so they just need some extra time to get back to our applications and decide whether to interview or reject. Or they are non-rolling and don't say anything until they reject in feb...which really really sucks by the way ugh.

So ya thats my 2 cents!

well it's nice to hear that there are a few people in the same boat as me. so far i have 3 rejections, only one interview. no love even from my state school.

one school actually told me i'd been passed over during one round and am sitting waiting for the second round. hmph.

I know this is trite, but I am old and the older you get, the more trite things you say.

I don't think it's too late until Orientation starts. That doesn't make anyone feel better, but it sure will if you get an interview in April and accepted in May. I don't care if I get passed over 3 times, so long as the finally open my app, see the picture of me on the hood of a Dodge Stratus and say "She's the one!"

I just wish they would let me know I am being passed over in each round.

gdbaby said:
I know this is trite, but I am old and the older you get, the more trite things you say.

I don't think it's too late until Orientation starts. That doesn't make anyone feel better, but it sure will if you get an interview in April and accepted in May. I don't care if I get passed over 3 times, so long as the finally open my app, see the picture of me on the hood of a Dodge Stratus and say "She's the one!"

I just wish they would let me know I am being passed over in each round.

gdbaby, you are easily the funniest person on SDN. :thumbup:

It is not too late. But I do worry a bit mathematically - from what I understand there were 10,000 August MCATers in 2005 and only 6000 in 2004. With the current state of healthcare, we all must love the field of medicine for that many more applicants.

CruiseLover said:
It is not too late. But I do worry a bit mathematically - from what I understand there were 10,000 August MCATers in 2005 and only 6000 in 2004. With the current state of healthcare, we all must love the field of medicine for that many more applicants.
10,000?? I wish. I believe the numbers are something closer to 30,000 August mcaters in 2004 vs. 35,000 in August 2005...

I am definitely in this same boat and it is very disconcerting. I'm a re-applicant with a 36R MCAT, a 3.85 GPA, and tons of research experience including 2nd author publications. I was complete back in mid-July and have yet to hear from all but two schools. One interview at Uconn, and one rejection from BU... I'm really hoping for more interviews to come my way, but it's hard to keep my chin up at this point.

Dude...chin up. I have essentially avg stats...had 0 invites last month. Have 6 now.

Last month I thought I was SCREWED.

I am definitely in this same boat and it is very disconcerting. I'm a re-applicant with a 36R MCAT, a 3.85 GPA, and tons of research experience including 2nd author publications. I was complete back in mid-July and have yet to hear from all but two schools. One interview at Uconn, and one rejection from BU... I'm really hoping for more interviews to come my way, but it's hard to keep my chin up at this point.

Excellent numbers! And research wow. As long as you are a nice guy who interviews well you WILL get in.

Thanks sooo much....

no, it does mean that you've probably been passed on the first go around, but there will be more chances coming up.

Last year, a co-worker & I were both applying to schools at the same time. Because of some glitches (not to mention empty pockets), we both ended up having our secondaries finished by mid-January. She got three interviews in February and was accepted at/enrolled in UF. I got one of the last interview slots at UMiami in April...alas, I did not get in...but I do know from this experience that it is possible to get an interview even really late in the season. Keep in mind that while AMCAS opened in June, most of the schools deadlines haven't even arrived yet--and that's for the primary application!

I guess this is all to say that, while interviewing later may reduce your chances, this process isn't over until it's over. There are still seats available out there. Now whether or not you can rationally convince yourself of this long enough not to feel anxious from now until you get that acceptance letter, well, that's a whole different problem.... ;) Best of luck to you!

Very unrepresentative example IMO, because most Florida schools don't care when you submit your primary or secondary, which is not true for most other schools.

How is that possible with those numbers?! Is it really that difficult for a re-applicant to get in? I was debating whether or not to reapply if I don't make it this cycle, but my numbers aren't as good as yours so that's very depressing to me :(

Good luck to you, sincerely.

how did the last cycle go, in terms of interviews? how many times have you taken the MCAT? do you have clinical experience? where are some of the places you applied?

based on those numbers alone, it's surprising you haven't had more success.

I knew some people last cycle who were complete in August, received most of their interviews in September and October, but still got a few in January and February.

Epic four year bump.

Thanks for sharing guys! I feel like I can breathe again!:)

DEFINITELY NOT TOO LATE. I didn't do most of my interviews until February. That said, invites came mid-december and through the end of January. Don't panic. Just keep at it and if you have updates, let the schools know of your continued interest. Just keep your chin up - I did and now I'm a third year doing clinicals in the hospital. It's wonderful!

Haha, I didn't notice no one posted on this for 4 years before me... anyways..

Yup, this really sucks. Last cycle I applied to 10 schools, got one interview at Uconn. Essentially the same as this time around, except that last time I was incredibly late. I applied to UConn just before deadline and interviewed in April. My other apps were complete in October and early December but still, wayyyyy late. I came to Uconn (Storrs Main Campus) to get a MS in biochem and the pre-med advisor said my only problem was the lateness and that with the 36R retake I'm a shoe in pretty much anywhere. I've got 5 years as a pharm tech, 2.5 years as a medical technologist, research continuously since freshman year (6 years ago). I've shadowed a GP for like 40 hours and 2 cardiologists for 20 hours. I had 60 volunteer hours in the lab where i work as a med tech.... oh yeah, and i was president and founder of my undergrad bio club, tri-beta, presented posters at honors conferences... my ECs were full on the app. No open spaces, but probably more I could have thrown in. All I can think, is that somehow my app makes it seem like I don't have enough experience with patients.

BTW my school list this time around: UVM, Yale, BU, Tufts, Uconn, Baylor, Dartmouth, Columbia.. I know they are all pretty highly ranked except UVM, but given the advice of my pre-med advisor it was entirely appropriate (he said not to worry about applying to many more than that as well). I was waitlisted at Uconn the previous cycle. Perhaps they'll let me in, I still haven't found out their decision. Maybe I'll have happier news to post in 2 weeks or so.

Epic four year bump.

Oh wow. You're right. I didn't notice this thread was from 4 years ago. I wonder if anything about the admissions process has changed much since then...

Haha, I didn't notice no one posted on this for 4 years before me... anyways..

Yup, this really sucks. Last cycle I applied to 10 schools, got one interview at Uconn. Essentially the same as this time around, except that last time I was incredibly late. I applied to UConn just before deadline and interviewed in April. My other apps were complete in October and early December but still, wayyyyy late. I came to Uconn (Storrs Main Campus) to get a MS in biochem and the pre-med advisor said my only problem was the lateness and that with the 36R retake I'm a shoe in pretty much anywhere. I've got 5 years as a pharm tech, 2.5 years as a medical technologist, research continuously since freshman year (6 years ago). I've shadowed a GP for like 40 hours and 2 cardiologists for 20 hours. I had 60 volunteer hours in the lab where i work as a med tech.... oh yeah, and i was president and founder of my undergrad bio club, tri-beta, presented posters at honors conferences... my ECs were full on the app. No open spaces, but probably more I could have thrown in. All I can think, is that somehow my app makes it seem like I don't have enough experience with patients.

BTW my school list this time around: UVM, Yale, BU, Tufts, Uconn, Baylor, Dartmouth, Columbia.. I know they are all pretty highly ranked except UVM, but given the advice of my pre-med advisor it was entirely appropriate (he said not to worry about applying to many more than that as well). I was waitlisted at Uconn the previous cycle. Perhaps they'll let me in, I still haven't found out their decision. Maybe I'll have happier news to post in 2 weeks or so.

Do you feel good about your lor's? It happens sometimes that a recommendor will put a few negative things in there that kill your chances. I just don't see how you didn't get in last cycle....

You have great stats but these are some of the top programs in the country. You should really have applied to more safety schools. From the looks of your stats and ECs, you would fit well at these schools, but its usually a crapshoot when you apply to such prestigious programs.

You have great stats but these are some of the top programs in the country. You should really have applied to more safety schools. From the looks of your stats and ECs, you would fit well at these schools, but its usually a crapshoot when you apply to such prestigious programs.

i agree. this is the equivalent of solid snake taking the m16 into granini gorky; he has a shot, but he's better off going in stealthy and not interrupting to increase his chances.

Do you feel good about your lor's? It happens sometimes that a recommendor will put a few negative things in there that kill your chances. I just don't see how you didn't get in last cycle....

your essays too. i know someone with higher stats (mcat and gpa) from an ivy league undergrad who also had years of research + some publications with some shadowing and little volunteering. got into 0 schools. i was curious and asked to read this person's essay from last year. i read it and it was terrible. this person did not have it read by anybody last year and did not even notice that it was written badly. this person got like 2 interviews last year, which is odd given the super high stats.

Yeah I'm not sure what is going on in the minds of the adcoms. I have good news though! I just got an e-mail from Baylor wondering why I had not responded yet to the interview invite lol. Apparently I never got the e-mail in the first place. I had to reschedule from Dec. 18th to Jan 22nd but whatever, it's still an interview, and at a great school no less. Oh yeah, and I also got wait-listed at Uconn. Not sure what the hell that is all about. Hopefully some more interviews will come my way soon.

your essays too. i know someone with higher stats (mcat and gpa) from an ivy league undergrad who also had years of research + some publications with some shadowing and little volunteering. got into 0 schools. i was curious and asked to read this person's essay from last year. i read it and it was terrible. this person did not have it read by anybody last year and did not even notice that it was written badly. this person got like 2 interviews last year, which is odd given the super high stats.

I'm really confident in my PS. I had a friend who's in Pharm D school and has read many PS for other people proof it for me. She said it was the best she's ever read. I had a whole bunch of people proof read it for me too. It has to the shadowing thing. About a month ago I sent notices to all the schools I applied to directly informing them of my shadowing hours (i didn't list shadowing as an EC, it was implied in my PS). Maybe it just took that long for someone to look over my stuff again.

I'm really confident in my PS. I had a friend who's in Pharm D school and has read many PS for other people proof it for me. She said it was the best she's ever read. I had a whole bunch of people proof read it for me too. It has to the shadowing thing. About a month ago I sent notices to all the schools I applied to directly informing them of my shadowing hours (i didn't list shadowing as an EC, it was implied in my PS). Maybe it just took that long for someone to look over my stuff again.

Oh never imply anything...they have far too many applications to go through to be able to pick up on implications :)

Hey, I did the exact same thing. I only implied in my PS that I did shadowing. When you sent them the update, did you just simply state in an email that you have shadowed for so many hours? Do tell ;), I think I could benefit from doing the same thing after months of silence, though my applying late is obviously part of the reason. Thanks.