• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

mspushups

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2007
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Is it done or do I still have time (or reason) to send my planned email of interest/intent to my Number One? Somebody give me some answers. What is the likelihood it WON'T be a glorified waste of well written bull****?

Thank you in advance.:scared:

Littlemantate

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Seriously even if it is complete B.S and the school disregards it and laughs at you (worst case)-who cares? Will never effect you. It can only do you good if by chance they care about those type of emails (which some do and some do not)--and when you consider even if you did it earlier before their selections-how much pull does it really have? probably not a lot-so really you probalby did not miss out on much either way-but definetly send it!

About the Ads

marshmallows

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Is it done or do I still have time (or reason) to send my planned email of interest/intent to my Number One? Somebody give me some answers. What is the likelihood it WON'T be a glorified waste of well written bull****?

Thank you in advance.:scared:

i dont believe it's too late.. but it depends on what you said previously in your thank you letter or emails.. did you mention that you were ranking them high?or a specific number. if not, then i would contact them bc lots of us make our decisions late and they know that.

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It is too late to inform a program with anything. Good luck

mspushups

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2007
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thank you smart people... you are right- there is nothing to lose and they might be procrastinators or people who change their mind and don't finalize a decision till the last possible minute to! Gotta go write my email now.

MichiMO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I sent one off today, so if you were too late then I am really screwed. I took up the position that it couldn't hurt, only help, so what the heck.

strangeglove

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Programs seem to still be calling applicants to let them know that they are being ranked highly. I would take this as a sign that they are still interested in knowing where you will rank them. Go ahead and send an e-amil to the PD. I don't see how it could hurt.

CJamblooze

Legend in my own Mind
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
At this point I am sure programs have their list figured out and most likely submitted. One program called me at least 2 weekends ago and said they were making their list the following Monday. Keep in mind that the list is due next week and that the server can slow down considerably so programs really will ensure that they don't miss the deadline.

Pox in a box

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Status (Visible)
Programs seem to still be calling applicants to let them know that they are being ranked highly. I would take this as a sign that they are still interested in knowing where you will rank them. Go ahead and send an e-amil to the PD. I don't see how it could hurt.

What programs are calling applicants? This seems strange.

strangeglove

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

I'm matching in pschiatry. I've received a call from a number of PDs expressing that they are interested in me and plan to rank me highly. Note that I did not ask them to provide me with this information nor did they ask me to tell them where I ranked them. Also, I understand this as a non-binding expression of interest. Thus, it is all kosher as far as NRMP is concerned, and as far as I can tell, is pretty much standard practice.

ramonaquimby

I'm a PGY3?! WHAT?!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
are you serious? tons of programs call applicants...taht's not unusual at all! :)

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

I got at least one, most often 2 or 3 post-interview calls and/or e-mails (and in one case a gift) from all the programs I interviewed at for FM---most of them within the past few weeks. This may not be as common in other specialties.

slim shanie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2002
North Carolina
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Between three of us (family med, emergency, and anesthesia), we've been getting a combination of things. E-mails mostly... also phone calls, snail mail letters that say basically what you guys are talking about.

They're not coming from every program but most are personalized.

D

deleted109597

So you've now demonstrated that you have no experience outside your realm. PDs call people pretty much daily. Sometimes more than once. Remember, they are allowed to tell you anything they want, you just aren't allowed to ask.

And you don't have to pass CS to get into residency either.

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If a program calls candidate that he is highly considered, believe me he will call every one in the rank list even the last one. Confirm with any one you know interviewed there, you will find he/she received the same call.

slim shanie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2002
North Carolina
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If a program calls candidate that he is highly considered, believe me he will call every one in the rank list even the last one. Confirm with any one you know interviewed there, you will find he/she received the same call.

I actually know this to not be true (girl I'm dating and I applying to same program). One of us is being more highly recruited than the other.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

At least you'll know you made their rank list...

Pox in a box

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Status (Visible)
So you've now demonstrated that you have no experience outside your realm. PDs call people pretty much daily. Sometimes more than once. Remember, they are allowed to tell you anything they want, you just aren't allowed to ask.

And you don't have to pass CS to get into residency either.

Yeah, I'm only applying to one specialty. I assume you're not. I got no phone calls from program directors. I did get one call from a resident but that was only because she was from my home school. From what I've seen looking at FRIEDA (and every residency program I interviewed at), you have to pass Step 2 CS prior to starting residency. I'm sure the rules are slightly different for every program/specialty but in general, I think it's a good rule of thumb to get this hurdle done.

DarksideAllstar

you can pay me in bud
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2001
West of the Haight
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I'm only applying to one specialty. I assume you're not. I got no phone calls from program directors. I did get one call from a resident but that was only because she was from my home school. From what I've seen looking at FRIEDA (and every residency program I interviewed at), you have to pass Step 2 CS prior to starting residency. I'm sure the rules are slightly different for every program/specialty but in general, I think it's a good rule of thumb to get this hurdle done.

No CS requirement for Path (other than my school requiring me to have taken it prior to graduation); two of my friends in their prelim medicine years (one into anesthesia, one into rads) didn't receiving their CS passing scores until after July 1 last year. With regards to PD calls, I got calls from 3/8 places I interviewed at. A fewer other places I interviewed at had contacted others, but not myself. I think it totally depends on what a program is looking for. Initially I took it personally, but I guess now I just don't give two sh!ts.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.