Jun 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I would wait and see what happens before booking a flight. Sometimes in the past testing dates, they have opened up blocks of additional seats closer to the test date. Check often and you could possibly score a seat that someone drops too! Especially 2 weeks out when people decide to cancel last minute.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Some schools require MCAT prior to September I believe

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Why did you wait so late to register? Surely you knew a few months ago you were testing on 9/23 what with studying and all.

Reactions: piii

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
As in you can't take the MCAT in September for that school if you want to apply next cycle? Or are you referencing taking the MCAT in September for that cycle(which is a far different conversation and generally not a good idea for MD schools?)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
This is likely due to the fact that taking the September 23rd date puts your scores releasing on October 27th. Many schools have application deadlines of November 1st for this cycle. I would not think it would be prudent to take the test at this late of a test date AND apply this cycle.

OP, wait and take the test when you are fully prepared and can gain a seat with a good projected timeline for application.

Feb 9, 2014
Status
Medical Student
This is likely due to the fact that taking the September 23rd date puts your scores releasing on October 27th. Many schools have application deadlines of November 1st for this cycle. I would not think it would be prudent to take the test at this late of a test date AND apply this cycle.

OP, wait and take the test when you are fully prepared and can gain a seat with a good projected timeline for application.
Not to mention that people start getting accepted by the middle of October

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
As in you can't take the MCAT in September for that school if you want to apply next cycle? Or are you referencing taking the MCAT in September for that cycle(which is a far different conversation and generally not a good idea for MD schools?)
Taking September for current cycle. The stigma that used to be taking a late MCAT for any cycle, which was widespread in the previous paper version of the up until about 2000 or so is gone.

Reactions: GrapesofRath

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
What have you been doing this summer and why have you waited so long to sign up for this exam?
irrelevant to the issue at hand, unless you have been successful in a time machine research project.

OP

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 26, 2013
Status
Perhaps I should clarify a few things…

I'm not planning on applying this cycle…I know Sept. 23rd is very late, and at first I was thinking of maybe just applying to 1-2 state schools, but now I'm reconsidering doing even that.

As for the reasons why I waited so long to register…I've previously registered early for two MCAT exams (in different cities because even then I couldn't find seats in my hometown…I was scared nothing would open, so I hastily picked a spot. And then, 1-2 weeks before the exam, a bunch of seats randomly opened up near me causing me to have to pay more $ to change my location) Also, the previous two times I registered, I once rescheduled and also voided because I just didn't feel ready or confident. My practice scores weren't very great then either.

Having been through that experience, I decided that this time, I was going to make sure I was ready before registering for the exam. I didn't want to waste any more money on reschedules and voids…frankly, this is why I waited so long. I still think seats may open up (they always did closer to the test date every single time I checked). If they don't in my town, I'm hoping that there will be seats in NY, PA, WV, NJ or MD. I live in VA, so I would be willing to drive to any of those locations if need be. Now, if there are no seats in ANY of these states, then idk :shrug: but isn't that chance pretty small?

I just wanted to know if anyone has been in a similar situation (signing up late for MCAT) and whether they managed to snag a seat closer to the exam date.

OP

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 26, 2013
Status
Taking September for current cycle. The stigma that used to be taking a late MCAT for any cycle, which was widespread in the previous paper version of the up until about 2000 or so is gone.
I didn't even know there was such a stigma…why would schools look down upon applicants for having taken the MCAT almost a year in advance of app time?

futuremdforme

5+ Year Member
May 12, 2013
Status
Non-Student
I think that I booked my MCAT within 1 month of taking it. Just keep checking frequently for one to open up. Be ready to travel a little bit though.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
To clarify, a high stake, career-deciding exam!

These are not the conditions under which you should be taking a high stakes exam.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I didn't even know there was such a stigma…why would schools look down upon applicants for having taken the MCAT almost a year in advance of app time?
"Back in the day" (I hate that phrase) when online registration meant waiting in the University administration building, sending mail meant a stamp and a trip to the post office, and your phone was attached to a wall with wires (hell, I am so old I remember actually having to get up to change the TV channel), most premeds followed a very expected path for medical school acceptance. This included being a Bio major, having a committee letter, and doing well in both semesters of Organic and Calculus. Also, the MCAT was given 3 and only 3 times a year: Spring (May I think), August, and January and 75% of the applicants took the single spring seating where you were chained to a desk for 8 hours with several hundred others on one day. January was for those who may have had a December graduation or out of the country the next term. The August seating was viewed by many adcoms as filled with those who couldn't hack studying during the term, had to take a summer class, which itself was the kiss of death, trying to make up a bad Spring exam, or somehow less likely to be a good candidate. For many, if not most medical schools, you had to take it in the year you applied. If you didnt apply, you would have to retake it. So August was the last hope.

Reactions: candbgirl

oak'n'oats

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Are you kidding me? You'll definitely get a seat close to your home (or at least 1-3 hrs away). I was able to nab a Jan 23rd test date near my house for the last OLD MCAT sometime before the gold or silver deadline ended (forgot which one). That too it was in a populous state! So if I was able to do that, you can easily get your test date. No need for Guam or whatever. Just keep checking, especially near the deadlines and you'll get it

Okazaki Frag Grenade

Long Live SnugSeal
2+ Year Member
May 1, 2015
unless you have been successful in a time machine research project.
At this point, I think the MCAT could be waived for medical school ...