Too late to sign up for MCAT…what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Low.

I've heard of people flying to Guam and such because a sit opened up. If you are willing to fly somewhere, you might have a better shot.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait and see what happens before booking a flight. Sometimes in the past testing dates, they have opened up blocks of additional seats closer to the test date. Check often and you could possibly score a seat that someone drops too! Especially 2 weeks out when people decide to cancel last minute.

Why did you wait so late to register? Surely you knew a few months ago you were testing on 9/23 what with studying and all.

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools require MCAT prior to September I believe

As in you can't take the MCAT in September for that school if you want to apply next cycle? Or are you referencing taking the MCAT in September for that cycle(which is a far different conversation and generally not a good idea for MD schools?)

Last edited:
Some schools require MCAT prior to September I believe

This is likely due to the fact that taking the September 23rd date puts your scores releasing on October 27th. Many schools have application deadlines of November 1st for this cycle. I would not think it would be prudent to take the test at this late of a test date AND apply this cycle.

OP, wait and take the test when you are fully prepared and can gain a seat with a good projected timeline for application.

This is likely due to the fact that taking the September 23rd date puts your scores releasing on October 27th. Many schools have application deadlines of November 1st for this cycle. I would not think it would be prudent to take the test at this late of a test date AND apply this cycle.

OP, wait and take the test when you are fully prepared and can gain a seat with a good projected timeline for application.
Not to mention that people start getting accepted by the middle of October

What have you been doing this summer and why have you waited so long to sign up for this exam?

Perhaps I should clarify a few things…

I'm not planning on applying this cycle…I know Sept. 23rd is very late, and at first I was thinking of maybe just applying to 1-2 state schools, but now I'm reconsidering doing even that.

As for the reasons why I waited so long to register…I've previously registered early for two MCAT exams (in different cities because even then I couldn't find seats in my hometown…I was scared nothing would open, so I hastily picked a spot. And then, 1-2 weeks before the exam, a bunch of seats randomly opened up near me causing me to have to pay more $ to change my location) Also, the previous two times I registered, I once rescheduled and also voided because I just didn't feel ready or confident. My practice scores weren't very great then either.

Having been through that experience, I decided that this time, I was going to make sure I was ready before registering for the exam. I didn't want to waste any more money on reschedules and voids…frankly, this is why I waited so long. I still think seats may open up (they always did closer to the test date every single time I checked). If they don't in my town, I'm hoping that there will be seats in NY, PA, WV, NJ or MD. I live in VA, so I would be willing to drive to any of those locations if need be. Now, if there are no seats in ANY of these states, then idk :shrug: but isn't that chance pretty small?

I just wanted to know if anyone has been in a similar situation (signing up late for MCAT) and whether they managed to snag a seat closer to the exam date.

Taking September for current cycle. The stigma that used to be taking a late MCAT for any cycle, which was widespread in the previous paper version of the up until about 2000 or so is gone.

I didn't even know there was such a stigma…why would schools look down upon applicants for having taken the MCAT almost a year in advance of app time?

I think that I booked my MCAT within 1 month of taking it. Just keep checking frequently for one to open up. Be ready to travel a little bit though.

Are you kidding me? You'll definitely get a seat close to your home (or at least 1-3 hrs away). I was able to nab a Jan 23rd test date near my house for the last OLD MCAT sometime before the gold or silver deadline ended (forgot which one). That too it was in a populous state! So if I was able to do that, you can easily get your test date. No need for Guam or whatever. Just keep checking, especially near the deadlines and you'll get it

In my experiences, a seat will open up if you keep refreshing the cp