1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

too late to start??????????????????????????????

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by sadgirl79, Nov 4, 2002.

1. sadgirl79

sadgirl79 Junior Member

Hey guys I need advice fast.
    Ok so I'm a senior, who has NOW decided that Dental school is what I want to do ( long story...personal).
    I want to start the process now (including taking the DAT and having applications out by the end of November). Is this realistic? How late is too late to jump into the process. I really want to go to dental school in the Fall of 2003. I'm graduating and dont' want to take a year off.
    What's the latest you know that someone has taken the DAT/applied and gotten accepted?

Thanks in advance

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pumpkins90

pumpkins90 Member

I believe people can and have been accepted up until the first day of classes. It is still possible to apply for this year. It is getting late in the application process as i believe there have been between 4000 and 5000 applicants so far. If you haven't taken the DAT then take it and see if you can score 20+. If you have the money then by all means go for it. Most schools interview until at least april. As you know the first round of acceptances go out Dec. 1, so you will be competing for fewer spots. There are success stories. Ya-hee, i believe, applied late in the cycle, did very well on his DAT and recieved a couple of acceptances in the spring. Do a search a read some of his previous posts.
    Good luck to you!

4. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    HI Sadgirl79,

Don't be sad. I sent you a Private Message. Please let me know what you think of my advice.

DesiDentist;)

:clap:

5. DesiDentist

Dentist
    Hi sadgirl,

I saw your post regarding your MCAT score. I just want to let you know that dental schools will not like to see you applying to both schools at once and they don't want you to choose dental school as a back up. I wish you the best.

DesiDentist

6. ccss

ccss Member

I don't think it is too late to start. I applied in late September and I already received 3 interviews. Although they are not my top choice school, but they are good schools. I also know people who applied in late October last yr, and was accepted into UOP and NYU. Good Luck...If you took MCAT and still rememeber most of the materials, then the science portion of DAT will be easy. The reading comprehension section is much much easier compared to MCAT's Verbal. You just need to practice PAT.

7. sadgirl79

sadgirl79 Junior Member

Hi guys
    thanks for the encouragement.
    Please don't think that I think dental school is easier and is a backup. the truth is unlike some people who' ve known what they wanted to do with their lives since they were like 6, I'm in my senior year of undergrad and not 100% sure if I should go to grad school, go to medical school or go to dental school. Grad school is appealing because I don't want loans and I love Chemistry, but on the other hand I'm torn between medical and dental school. ( I don't want to work for a year).
    I took the MCAT in August so that I could be part of this application cycle, but my mentors knew that I had been considering dental school strongly. In fact one of them was annoyed that I didnt' focus on that process instead.
    The problem is that because of how time consuming the medical school application process has been, I just didnt' have the energy to start a new process AND study for the DAT after coming off of the MCAT. I was exhausted from AMCAS/MCAT as I had to squeeze it in after long days of doing research this summer.
    Ok I won't bore y'all with the details as there are a number of other factors at play here, but please don't think that I am using dental school as a plan B. I'm just a slightly burnt out senior chemistry major who procrastinated a little too much.

8. Kovox

Kovox Going Places

I don't see how they would find out...unless they ask her during an interview.

9. DesiDentist

Dentist
    They ask if you are applying to any other healthcare professional schools on the AADSAS application. And yes, I was asked that at a couple of my interviews.

DesiDentist

10. HCLBurnzU

HCLBurnzU Junior Member

Its definitely not too late. I took the DAT early december and completed my application in the begining of feburary. I got into 2 out of 4 schools. If you are deciding to apply, i suggest you get your recomendations as soon as possible. Those slowed down my application process considerably.

11. sadgirl79

sadgirl79 Junior Member

Hey HCLBurnzU

Nice screen name ( I'm a chem major so I'm digging it :)

Thanks for the encouragement. If you dont' mind me asking ( you can PM me). WHat schools did you apply to and what were your stats like (gpa, extracurrics etc). I really want to get in!! Also how long did AADSAS take to verify your application? Was that a big delay too?

12. sadgirl79

sadgirl79 Junior Member

13. HCLBurnzU

HCLBurnzU Junior Member

sadgirl, I PM'd you with the info! I hope it helps!
    hcl

14. sadgirl79

sadgirl79 Junior Member

Thanks HCL I appreciate it!