Too Late to Submit Primary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arrmatey3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Certain circumstances in my life have come up and I decided that I want to apply this cycle, even though I know I'm extremely late. I've seen some of the deadlines for the primary application and I believe I can submit by November 1. I do have 3.9/35 stats but unfortunately, I'm an Asian CA resident. I know that it's very late and the process is a crapshoot, but do I have any chance? Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Please don't do this. By the time your primary is processed, you're going to be past the submission deadline for a number of secondaries. Even for those schools still accepting secondaries, your app will be at a serious disadvantage due to timing.

Based on your stats alone, you could have an excellent cycle if you plan out your timeline more carefully. I know it's hard to wait, but you will be a significantly less competitive applicant if you apply this cycle. You may get into a medical school, but it would not be the best medical school possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

Certain circumstances in my life have come up and I decided that I want to apply this cycle, even though I know I'm extremely late. I've seen some of the deadlines for the primary application and I believe I can submit by November 1. I do have 3.9/35 stats but unfortunately, I'm an Asian CA resident. I know that it's very late and the process is a crapshoot, but do I have any chance? Thank you for any advice!
My grandma taught me a very valuable life lesson one time: it's better to be late than never.

I took her advice to heart and built up the courage to ask out the girl I had a crush on for months.

She replied, "GrumpyGus you're an excellent candidate, but you tried way too late. I only have a few more spots open for potential suitors and I still have thousands of men trying to get at me. I won't say no now, but it's unlikely. Try again next year when I open back up. You'll get way more love. Also ask girls broadly, I'm pretty top of the line"

Don't listen to my grandma. Sometimes it is too late. Wait until next cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are thousands of applicants who have already submitted and been complete for months before you. By the time schools get to you they tend to be more conservative about giving away interviews because many schools are rolling admissions and seats are likely filling up. Your chances are much better by submitting early next cycle.

What's holding you back from a gap year BTW?

You've got solid stats, but it's way too late. Like everyone else has said, you'd be wasting your money if you applied this cycle. I'd find something to do in the meantime to boost your application further and just apply next year. One year won't make a difference in the long run, and instead of hoping to get a single interview this year, you could apply first and get tons next year. You'll have a much better chance of getting in and would be able to get into a much better school than if you applied this year. You'll be grateful you waited.

I know it sucks having to wait, but just think of it as a chance to keep improving your application. Focus on the positive. And maybe your extenuating circumstances would make a good personal statement for next year!

Hi all,

Are your circumstances prohibitive to applying in the next cycle? I agree about waiting like the posters above if you can help it because your stats give you good/great chances if you gave yourself a full cycle instead of just the tail end.

Please don't do this. By the time your primary is processed, you're going to be past the submission deadline for a number of secondaries. Even for those schools still accepting secondaries, your app will be at a serious disadvantage due to timing.

Based on your stats alone, you could have an excellent cycle if you plan out your timeline more carefully. I know it's hard to wait, but you will be a significantly less competitive applicant if you apply this cycle. You may get into a medical school, but it would not be the best medical school possible.

He is very late and should probably wait until next year. But I just wanted to note that processing time is only like a day or two now since most people are done applying.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, please heed the advice in this thread. The risks do not outweight the benefits in your situation. Make sure your personal statement is in tip-top shape and apply first thing next cycle. Too often people make these posts and then disregard the suggestions of literally every single person who answers.

And when did you take your MCAT? You want to make sure that it won't be expired at most schools when applying in June.

Yikes, 2018 cycle marks the year where many schools (about half) adopt a strict 2015 only MCAT score acceptances policy. Many of which are top schools that OP would have been competitive for.

See here:
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...b166-43396de8daaa/mcat_policies_june_2016.pdf

OP you might have to retake your MCAT if you end up not applying this cycle.... Gotta take that hassle into account!