Too Late to Switch to Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctron

Robot Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior medical student who has been gunning for a position in radiology. I recently have been floundering a little bit about my ultimate decision. I have now switched to psychiatry because of a long time interest in mental illness and because I had lots of fun during my 3rd year rotation.

Anesthesiology has always been in the back of my mind though. Unfortunately I didn't have an anes rotation during my 3rd year. I would like to explore anesthesiology as an option. I really enjoyed my interactions with anesthesiologists during my surgery rotation. I think I would like the procedures and the technical aspect of anesthesiology. I also really enjoyed thinking about critical care patients during my surgical critical care rotation.

All of this coupled with my perception that the anesthesioloyg "lifestyle" is on the manageable side.

My stats are: top 10% of my class in grades, 251 step 1, combined MD/MPH, some research in genetic epidemiology of breast cancer, 10 inch penis - just kidding...

Seriously though, I don't have any potential letters from an anesthesiologist or exposure to my department. Is is too late to try to get something going this cycle or should I try to do a transitional year or something?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too late. Do a rotation as son as possible to see if you really want to do it, and apply. Interview offers haven't even started going out yet, and there will be lots of interview slots available until after the deans letters go out in like November.

Based on the title of this thread, I was expecting to read about a 40+ yr old who went to med school, is about to finish his/her FP/IM/etc residency and has had a sudden change of heart.

It is definitely not too late for you. The field is filled with people like you as well as people who changed over from various other fields. I would venture to guess that up to 20% of the attendings at my institution started off in another residency before switching to anesthesia. I for one made the switch from radiology to anesthesia and I had no LOR nor med school rotations in anesthesia (besides 2 weeks as a 3rd year). I did a month during my TY year and decided to make the move, of which I am very happy about.

With your grades and scores, there will be a lot of programs interested in interviewing you based on that alone ... now whether the personality and all the other things you don't see on paper are good remains to be seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the title of this thread, I was expecting to read about a 40+ yr old who went to med school, is about to finish his/her FP/IM/etc residency and has had a sudden change of heart.

It is definitely not too late for you. The field is filled with people like you as well as people who changed over from various other fields. I would venture to guess that up to 20% of the attendings at my institution started off in another residency before switching to anesthesia. I for one made the switch from radiology to anesthesia and I had no LOR nor med school rotations in anesthesia (besides 2 weeks as a 3rd year). I did a month during my TY year and decided to make the move, of which I am very happy about.

With your grades and scores, there will be a lot of programs interested in interviewing you based on that alone ... now whether the personality and all the other things you don't see on paper are good remains to be seen.[/quote]

A ten incher will always help!!!.....What size shoe do you wear?.....Just kidding

All of this coupled with my perception that the anesthesioloyg "lifestyle" is on the manageable side.

Thanks

Lifestyle of anesthesia is getting worse by the minute - but that doesn't matter. It is by FAR the most manageable field in medicine - meaning it is fun and exciting and cool and did I mention great fun. As far as lifestyle, money reimbursements in anesthesia are slowly dropping, so groups are hiring less workers and working longer hours to keep salaries high. But again, that should not make a difference.

Also, if you do end up doing a rotation in anesthesia, just realize that watching someone doing anesthesia is extremely BORING. It is NOT the same thing as DOING anesthesia. You have to understand this when deciding to do anesthesia.

Finally, I have found (and it certainly was true for me) that people who enjoy anesthesia found that during medical school, their favorite part of school was physiology and pharmacology. You interest in critical care type stuff also goes along with those of us who really enjoy anesthesia. Although a lot of us don't want to do the ICU fellowship, (because a whole year of gathering data like urine output at 6am only to round and tell someone else what it was makes us nauseasted) most of us really find the science and pathophysiology of the ICU exciting. If that sounds like you, sign on up. You are in the perfect place to make the change.

I have always wanted to do a study and I bet that if the AMA kept data on what specialty has the most people that leave another specialty and join that particular one, I bet anesthesia would be way up there.