1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

too late to take USMLE step 2?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by californiasky, Aug 10, 2006.

1. californiasky

californiasky Member
    7+ Year Member

hi, im a 4th year DO student, i did not take USMLE step 1 (kinda regreting it) but I want to apply to allopathic EM programs. Before rotations I wanted to do FP so i didnt think i needed USMLE.

my question is if i take USMLE step 2 in early september, do I have to wait till i get my scores back (which is prob at least a month) before I apply to programs? also if I don't wait for scores to get back and apply early do I tell programs that I plan on taking USMLE step 2?

thanks for your help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UVa2005

UVa2005 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What would be your goal in taking Step 2 without Step 1? Would it just be to prove you can score well for residencies? Without step 1 you will not be able to take step 3 so I think taking step 2 to prove you can score well seems like a waste of money. I would talk to the programs to which you want to apply and see what they require and/or recommend.

4. californiasky

californiasky Member
    7+ Year Member

im afraid that by not taking the USMLE (1 or 2) i will be limiting my options. i know there are residencies out there that want to see a USMLE score.

why would i have to take usmle 3?