Too Light of a Course Load?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMed777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m in a 4 + 4 program right now that gives me a contingent acceptance to a D.O. school. However, when I entered the program last year, I already had a associate degree. So, my academic advisor essentially told me to take on two minors in public health and psychology and spread out my prerequisite courses. I am worried that my transcript will look full of filler classes (despite that fact that they are upper division psych classes and are challenging, some are called “Personality”, etc.). It wouldn’t be a problem, if not for the fact that I had always planned on applying out to other programs. Please tell me if I’m on the wrong track. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m in a 4 + 4 program right now that gives me a contingent acceptance to a D.O. school. However, when I entered the program last year, I already had a associate degree. So, my academic advisor essentially told me to take on two minors in public health and psychology and spread out my prerequisite courses. I am worried that my transcript will look full of filler classes (despite that fact that they are upper division psych classes and are challenging, some are called “Personality”, etc.). It wouldn’t be a problem, if not for the fact that I had always planned on applying out to other programs. Please tell me if I’m on the wrong track. Thanks.
I personally do not see a problem with your advisors' plan. It will not seem like you are just taking filler classes as there is no preference for people who have majors in the sciences when compared to any other major. Just make sure you excel in the prerequisites and whichever upper-level science classes you do take as no "filler course" will count towards your science GPA. There's no point in cramming all the science classes within a year if you struggle.

As long as you have couple of "rigorous" semesters, 2-3 science classes in each of them I wouldnt worry at all if you have a bunch of fluffy semesters and even if you dont' you're still probably ok as long as you do well in your prereqs and upper divs. That said I would try and take some science classes at this university assuming you took a bunch of prereqs at a CC where you got your associates.

I would double check if you lose your spot if you apply out though as most schools have that stipulation somewhere.