Too little funds in first semester, too much in second semester help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatic543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have currently been offered about $42,000 in Federal Unsubsidized loans and around $56,000 in GradPlus loans. I chose to accept all $42,000 of the Federal Unsubsidized loans, and about $33,000 of the GradPlus loans.

The current amount I owe for the first semester (tuition) is $29,000. However, I was expecting to receive $21,000 in Federal Unsubsidized, and a portion of the GradPlus loans.

The problem is that I am only receiving $21,000 in the Federal Unsubsidized loans for the first semester, and NONE of the GradPlus loans. In the second semester, I am receiving the second $21,000 of the Federal Unsubsidized loan, and the whole $33,000 of the GradPlus loan.

See my issue? They are dispersing too little in the first semester, and TOO much in the second semester? I am going to be short when it comes to paying tuition in the first semester, and I will have no money left for food, rent, gas, and living.

What should I do? Can the collect a smaller portion in the first semester, and a bigger portion in the second semester? Or can I somehow get them to disperse more in the first semester?

Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to call your financial aid office immediately to sort this out.

Usually, COL costs are disbursed in equal lump sums between the two semesters however your case is different.

Is there any reason why you're not able to just transfer money from your spring account into your fall account? I do this every year with my gradplus loan money just by emailing my school's financial aid office cus I end up paying more during the fall semester for health insurance. You should be able to just email them and they could take care of it within the next week.