Too little, too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dimemag

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I graduated undergrad in 4 years after a tumultuous academic experience. Basically, I graduated with a 2.87 cGPA, 1.99 sGPA, and 3.4 GPA in my major (social science).

I spent the last 2 years doing an informal post-bacc of all science coursework. In this process, I took 36 credits of science coursework and achieved a 3.74 GPA. I recently took the MCAT and scored a 513.

I have strong EC's from undergrad, and in the past 2 years have done alot of shadowing as well as doing some research.

At this juncture, I have a 3.06 cGPA and a 2.9 sGPA with a 513 MCAT. I really want to go to an MD school, and I am wondering what the smart option will be for me to achieve this.

I am planning on doing an SMP. My question is, should I apply this cycle, and do the SMP this coming school year (16-17), hoping that a strong performance in my first semester might help me get into an MD school?

Or should I go through with the SMP, get my grades for the entire year, and then apply for next year's cycle?

I realize I shot myself in the foot in undergrad, but surely there is a path for me to work my way out of this.

I'd appreciate people's constructive advice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.