Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Too little, too late?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by killinsound, May 13, 2007.

1. killinsound

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry about this post ahead of time, because I do realize there are many of them out there.

I did subpar my first two years of college due to family issues, no motivation (i changed majors 2 times and interned in respective fields, one of them being electrical engineering). However, since then, I've been getting straight A's - A+'s.

Currently my GPA is 3.45, but by the end of this quarter hopefully i can get it up to 3.5. My mcat is a 36S. My EC's are average (volunteering at a hospital, research) , and I am from california.

My (estimated) BCPM gpa is around 3.75 - 3.8.

I know my cumulative GPA of around 3.5 is going to be a little bit on the low side, but will my upward trend/BCPM/MCAT score help overcome this enough to apply and hopefully get interviews at CA schools? What "levels" of OOS schools should I be looking to apply to?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm convinced that EE is the hardest possible undergrad major...

Your BCPM and MCAT are fantastic :thumbup:
    I would be very hard pressed to pass you off as a case of "too little too late". You will be a competitive candidate with the numbers you currently have. That said, it's not all numbers... but at least you can relax that yours are pretty darn good.

4. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    Seriously, to major in EE AFTER a really bad start, and to be able to raise your gpa up to 3.5 is quite a feat; agree with above poster.

5. killinsound

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    *takes away from marvelous feat* no no no, i started WITH EE, then decided after a couple internships that it wasnt for me, so then i switched. that caused my gpa to go up. haha

also, thanks to crazy cavaliar aka blood ninja.

6. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this

Attending Physician
    Apply fairly broadly anyway, but you shouldn't do too terribly. Just make sure you submit your apps early. I say to apply broadly because if you limit yourself to a certain tier of school things might turn out kinda badly and I'm sure you don't really want to reapply.

I had similar stats and I only got interviews from my state schools (although I applied pretty late so that's something to consider).