1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Too little, too late?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by killinsound, May 13, 2007.

1. killinsound

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry about this post ahead of time, because I do realize there are many of them out there.

I did subpar my first two years of college due to family issues, no motivation (i changed majors 2 times and interned in respective fields, one of them being electrical engineering). However, since then, I've been getting straight A's - A+'s.

Currently my GPA is 3.45, but by the end of this quarter hopefully i can get it up to 3.5. My mcat is a 36S. My EC's are average (volunteering at a hospital, research) , and I am from california.

My (estimated) BCPM gpa is around 3.75 - 3.8.

I know my cumulative GPA of around 3.5 is going to be a little bit on the low side, but will my upward trend/BCPM/MCAT score help overcome this enough to apply and hopefully get interviews at CA schools? What "levels" of OOS schools should I be looking to apply to?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm convinced that EE is the hardest possible undergrad major...

Your BCPM and MCAT are fantastic :thumbup:
    I would be very hard pressed to pass you off as a case of "too little too late". You will be a competitive candidate with the numbers you currently have. That said, it's not all numbers... but at least you can relax that yours are pretty darn good.

4. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed
    7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Seriously, to major in EE AFTER a really bad start, and to be able to raise your gpa up to 3.5 is quite a feat; agree with above poster.

5. killinsound

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    *takes away from marvelous feat* no no no, i started WITH EE, then decided after a couple internships that it wasnt for me, so then i switched. that caused my gpa to go up. haha

also, thanks to crazy cavaliar aka blood ninja.

6. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Apply fairly broadly anyway, but you shouldn't do too terribly. Just make sure you submit your apps early. I say to apply broadly because if you limit yourself to a certain tier of school things might turn out kinda badly and I'm sure you don't really want to reapply.

I had similar stats and I only got interviews from my state schools (although I applied pretty late so that's something to consider).