Medical Too low clinical hours for this cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an canadian/international student applying to USMD this cycle. I have already applied but I still want an honest feedback on my clinical hours, so perhaps I can start to prepare my gap years if I have no chance. I tried my best with my application, but as an international student I feel like I really need to be at the top in order to get accepted.

Here are my clinical experience:
- I worked as a testing assistant at my school's hospital during freshman year (two semesters). I administered clinical testing on patients. Total around 400 hours, but only ~50 hours are actual testing. The rest of the time I'm entering patient information and organizing patient files.
- I volunteered 93 hours at a COVID-19 testing site May-June. The site is a primary care clinic with a team of primary care physicians, nurses, and physician assistants.

Not clinical experience, but related and hopefully can make up some of my shortcoming?
- I worked as an editorial associate at a medical journal in a specific speciality. It's my main commitment (>1500 hrs). I work with physicians everyday communicating on matters about their schedule, reviewing, and publishing. I worked with more than forty editors (mostly physicians) so far and administered... a lot... of manuscripts.
- Due to my work at the medical journal, the head of the journal (a physician) wrote me a LOR.
- I volunteered at a homeless shelter helping homeless individuals getting the personal hygiene products they need. I volunteered there since I came to the U.S. and have around 85 hours.
- I volunteered at a correctional facility delivering health-related workshops to the inmates before COVID ended everything (~30 hours). Afterward, I successfully advocated for changes in the correctional facility to protect the inmates health against COVID-19 (through the connection and the guidance of the nursing professor that leads the project).

After all, when I look at my application, there is not much traditional clinical exposure, especially on shadowing (none). I didn't start to use SDN until the past few months, but I get a sense from the community that no shadowing is a big red flag, especially when one don't have enough clinical hours. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
I suggest waiting until next cycle. Internationals need to be superstars

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the honest suggestion. I already applied, but i will start looking for volunteering opportunities to prepare to re-apply. Hopefully I will get into one of the DO schools I applied to this cycle, but I'll prepare for the worst.

Another question regarding preparing clinical experiences:
For clinical exposure, will oversea experience work for the next few cycles? My home country (dual-citizen beside being Canadian) has no domestic spread of COVID-19, so I believe it will be much easier to find volunteering/shadowing there and have more patient interaction. For my own institution's hospital (one of the ivies), they emailed all faculties and prohibited clinical volunteering across the whole institution from intaking undergraduates. I understand oversea experiences are typically down-valued, but it seems more feasible for the foreseeable future.
Nope; we want to see clinical exposure in US or Canadian hospitals

Status
Not open for further replies.